Creating Edibles

Good idea to freeze for a few.mins before removal lol da no wonder mine got mangled (and therefore eaten) I dust sucker molds w cornstarch would that work for gummies?

2 Likes

I sprayed the molds with cooking spray. That really helped, too. I think the cornstarch would get absorbed into the wet gummy goo, if you coated the molds with it.

2 Likes

Key Lime Pie

Serves 8-10

2 cups graham cracker crumbs
½ cup butter, half cannabutter, melted
½ cup sugar
2 cans condensed milk
3 whole eggs
½ cup sour cream
1 cup key lime juice
Freshly grated lime zest

Directions:

Preheat oven to 340F

1. In a large bowl combine the graham cracker crumbs, butters and sugar. Press into a prepared pan. Bake for 5 minutes.

2. In another large bowl whisk together the condensed milk, eggs, sour cream and the key lime juice. Beat till smooth. Fill pie pan and return to the oven for 10 more minutes. Allow the pie to cool, and chill for at least 2 hours.

Optional - Sprinkle with grated lime zest before serving.

Enjoy, as you can see, I already have :yum:

2 Likes

Mmm mmmm good;)

Hi @blackthumbbetty ! I am a newbie and want to make cannabutter (I do not smoke). Is that process you outline above easy enough for a real newbie? I am a very good cook, but just new to cannabis. I am trying to find non-medication relief from severe lower back pain due to degenerative arthritis. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @ArtVandalay , welcome to GN. Cannabutter is a breeze to make, @blackthumbbetty 's recipe is very straightforward. Just take your time, make sure you have all the products needed. One thing you can do is swop out the butter for coconut milk if you like. Here is a sample of the recipe I use:

Ingredients
500ml Coconut oil
80 grams of cannabis flower

Cooking Instructions
I am using an electric frying pan and keeping it on the lowest setting. I have not decarboxylated the flower, but you are welcome to decarb the flower if you like. I cut up the flower very roughly using scissors ( increase the surface area for cannabinoid extraction ) and mixed it in with the warmed coconut oil. I will leave it on the pan for about 3 hours. Dont let it boil and stir it every 30 minutes.

After 3 hours the coconut oil and cannabis will still be hot, so let it cool for 30 minutes. You can use a Colander strainer initially and remove most of the plant matter I use a pair of old stockings to strain most of the veg matter out. Stockings you say, yes always used them and it works.

Strain it into a tub and keep in the fridge for use. Sauce

2 Likes

Thanks! I have seen several methods for decarb’ing. How is it done in the oven? I don’t have an electric fry pan.

2 Likes

And I thought the cannabis had to be decarb’d to use in any way if it is not going to smoked. Is that false?

2 Likes

There are always about a 100 ways to work cannabis, and take your time you will find the best one that suits your needs.

Answer 1: You dont need an electric frying pan, I use one cause its what I have, and has a nice way to set low and slow temps, which you want to use for making cannabutter. So you can use your gas or electric stove to make the butter too.

Below is another method to decard cannabis, with some benefits:

https://forum.growersnetwork.org/t/highest-potency-in-your-edibles/

Answer 2: Decarbing is important for edibles as their is no way to activate the cannabinoids if there is no heat. However cannabis does naturally decarb overtime. Its a very important process to do before making edibles as it removes the acid molecule from THCa and CBDa and activates them.

I have never decarbed my butter, as I always get baked with the final product, so what is the point in my eyes. The cooking process of butter, baking the muffins, to me it decarbs anyway!

Hope that helps and shout if you have any further questions.

3 Likes

Hey chrisj,

This may be a silly question, but can cheesecloth be substituted for stockings?

2 Likes

Guys might kill me here, but dont tell anyone, yes stockings can work, not your best bet, but use what you got. I used to use stockings. You can also use coffee filters, a much slower process, but stockings/pantyhose worked for me.

2 Likes

Alright, I gave it a go. 500ml coconut oil and 2g rough-chopped cannabis. Simmered at lowest temp for three hours, stirred every 20-30 minutes. Strained through a colander then stocking (yes, @chrisj!). Does it need to be refrigerated? How long will it stay edible? Do I just add a teaspoon to whatever I want to be infused?

5 Likes

an OK calculator they help

@chrisj stockings work or windows sheers

use a cheese press and a 5 gallon paint straining bag from Home depot

I use a pound of bud (popcorn) to 1 gallon of coconut oil gets you

around 88 mg per teaspoon

great thread and thanks all

Dequilo

4 Likes

@ArtVandalay , wow you move fast, well done for jumping for in. Personally, I would have used more, I usually add about 30 grams to 500ml coconut oil, but great, check the post from @dequilo , that will help.

I use a pound of bud (popcorn) to 1 gallon of coconut oil gets you
around 88 mg per teaspoon

Yes, it needs to be refrigerated. It can last several months. Start off slow, but with 2g of bud to 500ml coconut oil it should not be strong. My principle of butter is to use use atleast half of the oil for the recipe I am copying.

3 Likes

I wanted to start out slowly!

3 Likes

OK, I need some help here. I am a newbie to cannabis and am wanting to see if it will help alleviate chronic arthritis pain in my back and neck. I don’t smoke; never have and never will. I want to try it in hot tea and edibles.
I followed a direction here the other day for cannabutter. Simple: a stick of butter and some cannabis to cook in a saucepan on low for a couple of hours, then strain out the chucks.
To go easy for the first time I used two sticks of butter to about 1/2 of a jar of cannabis (like this jar.)
I put less than 1/2 teaspoon of that cannabutter in a chicken dish for last night’s dinner. Within 30 minutes or so, shaky dizziness came over me that intensified and was awful for several hours; not a pleasant experience at all. This morning and most of today I have felt lethargic, crummy, and like a train hit me.
What gives? If 1/2 of a teaspoon does that, then I am second-guessing this stuff. On top of all of that, my back pain was not affected at all.
I would appreciate an experienced person to let me know what I did wrong.
I’m just really bummed because I have spent a good deal of money on grow tent and equipment for it.
I also made canna coconut oil, but I am hesitant to use it now. I have thick skin and I know I’m a greenie with this stuff, so legitimate assistance instead of burns is greatly appreciated.

5 Likes

so you grew the weed you used? what did you use Buds? whole plant?

what was the strain? what type Indica? Sativa? Hybrid?

what did the Trics look like? Cloudy? Clear? Gold?

been there done that :frowning:

pot makes me shaky when it is harvested too early

so have you done any of a known dosage? 10 - 15 MGs

if you are looking for stuff for the body Indicas work better and let the plant go longer

hits the body more

2 sticks is a cup and you jar was how much?

I posted a calculator for you they help with your recipe and dosage

one of many find one that you like and use it your product will be

so much more to your liking

ask questions and folks will help

all the best and enjoy the day

Dequilo

5 Likes

Hi @ArtVandalay

Sorry about your first bad experience, and hopefully last.

500ml coconut oil and 2g rough-chopped cannabis.

Big difference between using 2g and half a jar. You must be careful with dosage and dont forget this is your first time, I am sorry I dont think I said, start low and slow. A good friend of mine, due to giving up smoking only uses the canna butter for his lower back pain, slipped lower disk. Canna coconut oil is the only thing that gives him the sleep he needs and the relief from the pain. As per my recipe, I use anything from 20- 80 grams of flower, depending on the quality. He likes his oil strong, and we have tried everything.

Thanks for all the info and questions above @dequilo , these are questions you want to answer to butter that suits your needs. The butter you made is obviously to strong, so next time use much less and substitute with regular butter in your recipe.

Dont stress, you will find something that works with you and very well so far growing and making your own medicine. Low and slow.

5 Likes

Nice play on words, made me back up and read it twice!

4 Likes

Was not intentional, but I think I even know what I was saying and I bloody speak English!!! Sorry I type fast and think slowly.

3 Likes