Cultivation in the Caribbean

Hey Folks! The name’s Theo and I’m currently researching about commercial cannabis cultivation as I hope to join the upcoming legalized industry in the Bahamas. I have some experience with indoor Dutch Bucket hydroponic cultivation as I lived in Michigan for a few years and curiosity got the best of me. Now I’m trying to learn about outdoor soil cultivation as that will likely be the best option for me when I start commercially. Anyone have any advice or protocols on outdoor soil grow for regions like the Caribbean (salty air; high humidity, heavy sun)? Maybe South Florida growers? I would really appreciate any input.

4 Likes

SoFlo here… growing outside down here is just a constant humidity battle as you probably are well aware of. I grow every summer and always say I won’t do it again. I already put 2 in the ground so there goes that promise. LoL indoors is just a must full year. I just dropped this Vida on Monday. Hasn’t stopped friggen raining yet and it’s gonna get a bit windy for her with this storm Tuesday. She’s still doubled in Size with constant rain…

Nice to meet you btw and welcome to GN …good luck with everything!

6 Likes

:joy: I love it! I’ve never grown in the Bahamas but I’m curious about others experience with similar areas. Would you mind if I followed/liked you and ask your advice from time to time?

3 Likes

I believe there are Bahama Growers here. I haven’t heard from them in a while. @chrisj you remember who they are?

3 Likes

Well I know of a grower who supposedly moved from the states to the Carribean to grow. But I havent seen him release this information ( and its his news to share, not mine.) So I cant say. But SS and Loco, u boys both know him.
Theo, Im in Central Florida. I agree with Loco. The rainy season is a challenge.
Ive learned to feed my plants via top dressing since they rarely need to be watered. In fact, they get so saturated/water-logged-- I used to cover them with an umbrella! I have too many plants to do that now.
The other issue for outside growers is bugs.
Its wise to spray the plants weekly with a rotation of products. I use Spinosad and Azamax. Some growers also use Neem oil during veg. I have Dr. Zymes too, havent tried it yet. So besides the weekly ipm, u can top dress for bug control. I use a combination of neem-karanja meal, insect frass and DE ( if its dry out.)
I also put skulls on the surface, which scares away some bugs. Lok jk
Good luck with ur endeavor!!

4 Likes

You can follow anyone yiu want this is a public forum for us all to oogle over. Not much oogling in mine though. Actually my journal is mega helpful to others as it shows a lot of what not to do. :joy:
I tagged u over to mine anywho

5 Likes

Wow spellchecker bombed me. I can’t imagine growing in that humidity

5 Likes

Spell checker said - I can’t imagine growing in stupidity! it’s okay when I say my name it constantly writes piss … LMAO even when I talk/text it doesn’t get me right. LoL
What is up Mr. Boozer…been a minute or 3… What is up in the grow room?

5 Likes

Down to 3 inside…

SLAPZ, lemon drip and slippery Susan. Exotic genetics. And by the way @LoCoRocK that tip on drilling pvc out worked badass. Thx bro. Sorry photo bombing you thread bud

5 Likes

For the life of me, I cant remember. There are a couple growers though here and there. Search, top right. The climate I am growing in is similar to the bahamas, perhaps minus a little bit of the moisture, it can get very dry out here. However a couple kilos away we get a sweet mist that rolls in off the sea regularly, it can be a godsend on a hot day, but also terrible when there is cold and rain.

There is loads of growing happening in the Carribean, as always I guess. I do know the Canadians are there in force doing legal operations for multi-nationals. I would look locally and try and hook up with these guys. The one ring leader is the original Reeferman, I have posted lots of information about him here, soil recipes, growing conditions, genetics etc. Here is a picture of one of his operations in Caribbean, I think he doing something very right!! Simple soil mix, grown outdoors and in tunnels. Seems good to me.

5 Likes

First get your seeds from that region. You will be growing a sativa strain. See if you can get some Lamb’s bread from Jamaica, awesome stuff. Some also call it Lamb’s breath. Guess it depends on who you talk too. I haven’t been to Jamaica now since 95, back then I could have hooked you up with a Rasta for seeds, but I’m pretty sure he is no longer with us on this earth. He was in his 60’s back then. Lived in a shack in the straw market on Negril beach. Best of luck.

4 Likes

Mmmmmm lambs bread!

4 Likes