Cultivation method- veg room yes or not?

when you start to plan and design new cannabis greenhouse, I ask myself many times which approach is better to cultivate the veg phase in the flowering room or to build a separated room for each stage?

the advantage of cultivating both phases in the same room is you can save some space, the plants are less moved from place to place etc…

whats regarding yield? cycles per year?

what are your thoughts? which approach you prefer and why?

4 Likes

You can increase cycles per year by having separate veg and flower rooms. If that is your main goal, setting up separate rooms would be in your interest.
Some people also like having different rooms so they can veg under T5’s, LED’s, MH’s or other lights with more of a blue spectrum. Then, once plants are ready for flower, move them into a room that has HPS’s, or whatever your preferred light for flower is.
However, my preference is having one room for both veg and flowering. Plants are stationary beings. They don’t want to be moved from this room to that room and manhandled as they’re being pushed around on tables. Changing between rooms is changing the atmosphere that they have gotten used to, therefore, stressing them out unnecessarily. I believe that happy plants will ultimately bring you higher yields and higher quality. Although, the right kind of stress on plants never hurts.

3 Likes

I split my tunnel, 3/4 flower 1/4 veg divided by a blackout wall designed for air to pass through so no daily opening is required. Then run a rotational crop in the veg portion. More lght penetration with rotational means more production per sqft. Less down time, more consistent workload.

3 Likes

Hi,
Put the $ in the bloom room focus on environment, nutes, and care.
Veg is pretty easy and it doesn’t take much light for great success. However the color of light makes huge difference.
It’s very important you use more blue spectrum to promote females and prevent hermaphrodites for full lushy bushes.
1 of reasons why we have bloom rooms is to use the right light spectrum and make ideal conditons.
Bloom and Veg have different enviroments.
We ain’t doing this just because. Plethora of reasons why you want veg room and bloom rooms.
We have excellent results by packing in veg rooms with 1gal 3gal plants on top of each other until they ready for bloom or cloning.
Induction lights work very well and good coverage in veg. Run a 5k or 6k bulb in them and in our opinion it’s the best for vegetative growth.
Kyle M

3 Likes

Kyle could I visit your grow ?

2 Likes

Which 1?
Hemp or Canna?
Hydro, soil, aquaponics?
Take a ride on the magic carpet.
Send me direct message with contact info
Kyle M

3 Likes

Canna with soil
Allen

2 Likes

Keep the veg and the flower separate. Unless you plan to grow autoflowering varietals, your cannabis plants are photoperiod dependent so keeping both in one singular space will have a direct affect on the other plants in the room. For instance: if you are under 12 hours with the lights on and 12 with the lights off, your mother and vegetative stock will all begin to flower. Alternatively, if you are growing under 18 hours with the lights on and 6 hours with the lights off, your flowering plants will stay in a constant vegetative state. Smaller rooms conscientiously designed with the plant’s life cycle in mind are ideal; I think focusing the design of each room specifically with the life stage of the plant in mind is your best bet, IMHO.

3 Likes

Indoor? To conserve energy (and thus money), I think of lights as paint sprayers and light itself as paint and ask myself when looking at a grow facility “what percentage of the paint is going on the floor rather than on a plant surface?”. If it’s not hitting the plant, not only are you paying for this paint and throwing it away, you’re still paying again to have this wasted paint removed (as heat).

For those who don’t use a veg room, where plants are easily closer together, think about the money you’re spending and make sure any extra production or quality you think you’re getting is actually worth it (or even actually real).

When you add the OpEx and CapEx costs of not having a veg room together, it’s really not a hard decision (for me).

JB

4 Likes

Beyond energy conservation, OpEx and CapEx, we can add significant potential regulatory advantages to the value of separate veg rooms.

In CA, licenses are priced roughly on a SF of canopy basis, with progressively larger canopies of same type costing progressively more. Canopy is defined (nurseries excluded) as being made up of only “mature” plants – and mature plants being defined as plants that are “flowering” and flowering being defined as “a cannabis plant that has formed a mass of pistils measuring greater than one half inch wide at its widest point”.

(I call the mature canopy the CAMP “CAlifornia Mature Plant” area – Yes, a nod to the old days from which I have my Lompoc Federal ID as a souvenir.)

In round numbers, if you’re flowering a plant with a pretty common 9 week flowering cycle and your veg cycle is 4 weeks (total 13 weeks or 4 cycles per year in a facility with no veg room) and you have yourself not only a veg room, but what I call a ‘trigger’ or ‘flip’ room (where a trigger/flip room is a 12/12 flower room but with plants not yet mature), you can get really significant licensing reduction costs.

Think about it this way … when you flip the plant to 12/12, you’re easily safe for over 2 weeks before the State considers it a ‘mature plant’ and requires that it be in the license holders limited CAMP area. You’re burning money if you have your plant in your CAMP area during that time.

So back to our 13 week cycle total (excluding propagation) … now over 6 of those (nearly half) can be out of your license limited CAMP. The turns in your licensed area have gone up from 4 per year to over 7 (52/7) That’s a 75+% increase in facility output on the same cost of license (an indoor licenses can cost close to $100k per year for a single ‘medium’ all in). Add the local cultivation taxes which are often levied on a SF CAMP basis, and well, a hundred $K here there and pretty soon you’re talking real money.

Energy cost savings. Big. Capital cost savings. Big. License/tax cost savings. Big.

JB

3 Likes