Curing in jars

hi guys been curing in jars for over a month now but no smell got rh62 packs in 4jars will smell come back and will i still burp them any help appreciated

7 Likes

Hello @buddly . Can you tell us a little more about what you have going on?
When did you harvest?
Did you do a wet trim or dry trim?
How long did you dry your harvest?

Any information you can provide may help. Let’s see if we can get to the bottom of it.

5 Likes

hi 3autos dryed in loft with dehumidifier for 2-3 weeks tested wih wood probe at 11-12 then put in mason jars
Uploading: IMG_2118.jpeg…
Uploading: IMG_2130.jpeg…
Processing: IMG_2129.jpeg…
Processing: IMG_2165.jpeg…
harvested sept cured october as weather was getting colder in scotland outside grow

4 Likes

trimmed before dried first time grower

5 Likes

Can you edit the post, and let the pictures load completely before you hit reply? What is the strain you are curing?

6 Likes

got them mixed up notherlights easybud jackcritical

4 Likes

Thats the problem. That is way too long to dry them. What humidity RH%

Hope i dont sound harsh man!

I dry mine at 25-30% for only 4-6 days then i dry them boxes. Then jars with moisture packs. Over drying cannabis takes the terpine away as they are a V.O.C viscous organic compound. It can and will evaporate from the flower if over dried. Can also cause a grassy or hay smell. Drying and curing is a whole other art beside growing it. Man there are so many ways a grow can end up crappy and dissapointing. @buddly how much flower are we talking about? A lot a little? how big is the area you dried them in? Where is this loft or Attic? How hot/warm is it up there? Are you a newer grower by chance? Im just curious because you said you have a dehumidifier and its in a loft? I think you might have dried the crap out of them by accident. If there in with moisture packs then there probably not to dry now. But how dry were the buds when you jarred them up. I mean were they crispy already? How did you use the moisture meter to test the buds does it poke into the stem or flower?

Edit: the pictures finally loaded so i can see what happened. Yeah they just got over dried a lot. Flavor doesnt come back unfortunately. But next grow you will know a little better and you learn more every time you grow. Dont be diacouraged live and learn. If you really like to grow you let a little setback stop you.

10 Likes

hi they were spongy feel when i dryed them put probe in buds was getting grassy smell in jars for a while but smokes well and smooth now humidity in loft top of house 17-20 degrees well till next time mate thanks for honest opion

6 Likes

before jarring got 4 3/4 full jars

6 Likes

@buddly Dayyum Brother you did awesome on your first grow! Grats!
Things like timing for flipping to flower, harvesting, and the drying and curing process are something you will develop as you grow. On my first grow I couldn’t control my drying time and it was completely dried by day 3. Needless to say it wasn’t ideal but to be honest I was never happier or prouder to smoke it.
Welcome to the party @buddly . Get yourself a good helmet and stick around
igor

8 Likes

its just for personal use 3different strains organic so will keep me happy better than crap you buy here nice taste in joint cheers

8 Likes

Thanks for all these comments, especially to those who experienced what I have now experience after harvesting, wet trimming and drying my spindly little branches. Dried to a crisp in a day and half. I’d hung them in a closet and tried to keep the humidity between 45 and 55 but it did get to a few percent on either end of that span from time to time. In any case, I did pull down two branches very early and have been curing those keeping the humidity up in the jar and opening it at least twice a day. No marijuana fragrance at any stage of my grow/harvest/dry/cure. It’s not over 'til it’s over, but I do think I failed pretty miserably this first go 'round. I have learned a lot owing to the generous advice and support available here at Growers Network. I ntend to put all I’ve learned to good use sometime in the months ahead. Hang in there.

11 Likes

That’s the spirit if at first you don’t succeed try try again if it smokes and gives you a head change it’s not a total loss :v:t2:

10 Likes

Dang sorry to hear the harvest wasnt what you expected. But thats how wel learn. I had so many plants grow crappy. Sometimes its just that the plant sucks and has weak genetics.

6 Likes

Toss the rh packs they r only good for long term curing to help maintain a specific. Rh in the jar or bucket. What is the rh in jars without any packs in the jars after 4 or 5 hrs. If low then u need to bring it back up. When I put into jars u need to burp several times per day for weeks and the days go to every other day after a week or so to every third day ect til u get one burp per week and it holds a good rh. Imo the packs steal taste smells and all from the jars. Don’t believe me use some in a jar and some jars without the packs and see the differences urself.

5 Likes

Nice. Love the spirit. Lol. Try bringing the dry and cure temps and rh if u can to a 60/60 temp and rh. It’ll slow down the whole process and give time for stuff to convert from this to that ect. So what’s the strains up next for picks. Did ya figure that out yet or what’s something that u wanna grow out and give a try. ???

4 Likes

What i found curious was when i used the rh packs, i had a similar experience but the jars I didn’t use them in were fine. Im thinking the dry time needs changed when using them. @PreyBird1 uses them with no problem. I dried for 2 weeks at 60%rh and the jars without the packs were fine. Also after removing the rh packs from the jars with no smell for a few days, the smell returned but not as strong as at first. The only thing I didn’t do was check the rh in the jar with a hygrometer. Perhaps this is my problem?

6 Likes