Curing: Plastic versus Stainless

Hey everyone, what are your thoughts on using plastic containers versus stainless in the cure cycle? We have seen that the plastic seems to “pull” the trichomes off of the flower, while the stainless doesn’t exhibit this behaviour. Thoughts?

4 Likes

I have heard that Cannabis tend to “eat” certain plastics with prolonged contact.
Is anybody able to confirm this?

4 Likes

I use glass whenever possible but second choice is definitely food service quality Stainless Steel. I ruined an early run trying to cure it in plastic gallon bottles. Lost trichomes plus it seemed to pick up a plastic smell. Usable but could have been so much better.

4 Likes

Some essential oils (terpenes) do degrade certain plastics. I used to smoke ecigs, and make my own juice. Some of the natural extracts used for flavoring will degrade a plastic tank. I know natural citrus flavors require glass tanks, so maybe limonene et al? degrade certain plastics.

5 Likes

Likely depends on the plastic polymer too. Some plastics are better than others at handling certain chemicals.

(I also learned the hard way to never temporarily store gasoline in a solo cup, LOL)

3 Likes

Now that’s a story for a smoke sesh right there!

5 Likes

Oh, pretty simple, really. My fiancee siphoned some of the gas out of her car, and I got it in a solo cup. I set it down on a wall, and a few seconds later, there was gasoline everywhere. The entire bottom of the solo cup dissolved.

5 Likes

Halfway to napalm right there. :joy:

4 Likes

Sounds like a great idea for arson.
Just saying for a friend. Lol.
Gives new meaning to getting toasted.

3 Likes