Curiosity : 2 autoflowers seeds into one 4 gallons (15 liters) pot

Hi,
I was wondering if it is a good idea to put 2 plants in one pot.
I am using autoflowers and I noticed they don’t grow to big… It is my first time growing. So I am thinking for my next grow I might put 2 plants in one pot. They will be autoflowers, they take 9 weeks to harvest, that’s why I think they might not have enough time to grow as big as they can in a 4 gallons pots.
Has anyone done this… Is it ok to do that with autoflowers??
Opinions and recommendations.

Thanks

1 Like

most ppl grow plants in separate pots

• I grow autos in 3 gal pots one at a time and they can dominate the entire pot root structure

• that way you may only have 1 plant to deal with issues at a time…

here’s a black widow auto in 3 gal - dried & cured 4 zips in the jar
she grew like a 3 headed dragon…

4 Likes

they take 9 weeks to harvest,

That’s really 9 weeks of flowering. Plus your veg time which is usually from 4-8 weeks on some autos.
And @rootfarmer got you covered on the 2 in 1 pot.
:v:

3 Likes

I have had several grows with more than one plant to a pot. No more. They suck nutes twice as fast. one plant ends up lacking, therefore less bud in the end. And as root farmer said about having issues one plant at a time. Also if you need to repot the roots are grown together and you can damage them when you separate. My thinking Was one pot to water, less to do but in the long run it can cost you flower. Hope this helps, this is totally just my opinion, from my experience so far. I am not an expert. Just growing my own meds. Have a great one

4 Likes

Do all autoflowers take about 9 weeks till harvest? I have an autoflower (supposedly) and I was wondering when it might start budding. I think I see preflowers, the plant is about 6 weeks old.

2 Likes

I have came across a great fact that ( The bigger the Roots the Bigger the Fruits. I wouldn’t put two girls in any size pot . If one gets sick it will help to pass it on to the girl in the same spot and you don’t want to have to deal with cleaning all the medium out of the roots system so you can hand it to Dry with the Hole root ball. Lots of good properties in just the rooting system and you can use your last harvest roots stems and branches to add to your next grow run. I still learning from this Platform every day. CanaCribs is of the chain in a GREAT INTRODUCTION AND FEEDBACK FROM THE BEST GROWERS IN THE WORLD :sparkler::a:PLUS all the way. Enjoy.

4 Likes

Most autos take in the 8-12 week mark for flowering. Of course there are always exceptions but generally that’s a pretty common time frame.
:v:

1 Like

The ladies know when they are against a wall or touching another plant.They can feel whats around and a competition in the same container will only lead to problems. A small plant means that you can have more of them. And if they are small, put something under the plant to elevate it or bring the light down. Keep the height of the light in the sweet spot for the best results.

2 Likes

Thanks to all, of your recommendations. I am
Currently planting auto power plant from dutch passion
I have 2. Each in 4 gallons pots. The store said that it takes 10 weeks in total to harvest.
Do you guys think 4 gallons pots are fine or should I maybe go smaller, for example 3 gallons pots ???

1 Like

3 is too small. 5 might be too big, but it does leave room for growth. Give 4 a go. When u harvest, pull the remainder of the plant from the pot and check the root ball. Is there room left over or is it a tight mess? Then you can make the decision based on your findings for your self. What works for me might not work for u. You’ll have a better idea for the next round.
The garden sage says Don’t grow small flowers. So prune for a bigger flowers.

4 Likes

Great advise!

1 Like

@atodd thanks. Just letting you know what I found out i my grow. And it’s so true about making up your own mind. Happy growing

2 Likes

I will say if your using reg seeds I will pot 3 per pot wait till sex which by day 16 latest on my personal genetics I then cull males and or females I dont like now if fem I run 1 per pot now as for how long it’s going to take its not always 9wks plus veg I’ve got autos that are 65day seed to harvest so it all depends on the breeder and also skill level if it’s stressed half it’s life it can stall growth so now a 9wk strain becomes 11wks also phenos can be vastly different even with the best breeding practices used I’ve seen many mephisto and dinafem grows that show this. So long story short if you have excess seeds and you only want to grow the most vigorous planting multiple and chopping the weaker ones make sense otherwise run 1, also don’t think autos are small some are but some are 500+gr dry plants which isn’t small so if height restricted choose wisely as hst isn’t a good training method lst and topping is ok though still some can get tall even with that.

You plant 3 in a single pot each time?

Yes that way by day 15 to 20 I pick the strongest or the 1 that has structure I want then I chop the other rite at soil line I use to do same with coco I do grow organic with benificals so the root are eaten by the remaining plant with th added air pathways allowing roots to take over open pathways I’ve been doing this for years again only with reg seeds if fems then 2 per pot and same day 20 decide which to keep and wich to cut.

Also depends on outdoors or not I’ve found running a small plant like a 2wk old 3wk plant in a pot with an old plant about to flower I’ve noticed in my environment the bugs will mess with the small shade grown plant and almost completely leave the larger alone I have noticed this the past 3years as I sowed a few seeds per tote so I had a few where they took like 2 months to pop mean time there’s a 6x6ft bush in it lol so that’s about the only time I run them together and harvest ect. Below a few pics of some 1gals I have going now

a few are a days away from sexing to be able to continue my project or just grow some flower we will see soon. Also I saw there Dutch passions and in my experience if you have room and height go big on the pot I’ve seen many that take up a 4x4 space each plant I’m a big fan of true quality autos can’t wait to see these

1 Like