Dark Time Before Harvest 🤔

What’s the science behind a “dark” time before cutting?
What’s your dark time procedures?

5 Likes

I’m not sure about the science or I can’t say if it really helped I did a 48 hour dark period on my first plant. All the others I just pull them the day of harvest right before lights come on.

Let’s see what others think.

@macgyver_stoner @tdubwilly @Bogleg @myfriendis410 @covertgrower @imSICKkid

5 Likes

I just unplug the lights at the end of their 12 hour day cycle and cut em the next morning. I’ve never done the extended dark period before harvest.

5 Likes

I think it just to reduce chlorophyll production and somehow helps with potency a touch lol

6 Likes

I was told it jump starts a defense mechanism in the plant triggering increased trichome and terpene production I do 60 hrs black out started a few grows ago and I do see a slight increase in terpene strength

3 Likes

I did do ice baths once every 3 days, 30 minutes before lights out and the before and after pictures are night and day(15 day time period)

2 Likes

Did it increase bud size,or tricomes?

2 Likes

Actually the overall bud circumference decreased. The buds got rock hard and seemed to tighten up. And yes the tricome production seemed to increase dramatically. I will grab the before and after shots, one sec

4 Likes

This was the night I started ice baths. Once every 3 days, 30 minutes before lights off.

This was 15 days later.

5 Likes

I have also found one dry out the watering before harvest can increase resin yeild at least the extraction end yeilds marginally better.wait till the bottom leaves just start to wilt then water.and wait till the pots dry up a couple days before harvesting. Trichomes are there for defense so this triggers the defense mechanism at a point late enough as to not destroy potency or yeild is how I understand it works :wink: this is just my experience

6 Likes

I’ve never tried it. I do typically harvest before lights on though.

4 Likes

I don’t get all caught up in radical end of the grow tactics. I think some of them might actually hurt the plant however the dark period is just so easy that I usually do a 24 - 48 hour dark period myself.

I think hoppie mentioned a “dry out” period. When in soil I do that too. I just quit watering 3-4 days before harvest

Here’s a little more darkness reading

9 Likes

Thanks for directing me to that thread :v:

5 Likes

Using darkness to prepare your plant for harvest primarily does this:

The plant at lights on transports stored nutrients (salts) to the canopy for use by the plant during photosynthesis. At lights out the plant transports most of those same salts (and any sugars produced) back to the roots to prepare for the next day. Extended darkness is really to help remove those from the finished flower, making a smoother smoke. I don’t know about it being effective but it’s so easy to do I try to load it into my harvest schedule.

7 Likes

Iv had good results in splitting the stem 10 days before harvesting to mimic a breaking or run over plant by wild life. This has trigged the defense mechanism in the plant.

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/standard17/uploads/bergmanslab/original/2X/4/4d3e6edf91008c6f3cf6cd97ae1f2926780d1b2f.jpeg

3 Likes