Darkness before harvest

Pretty much agree with the master grower @ravenchief here. All outdoor and even to a lesser extent indoor grows should be rinsed before drying. The process has been described many times but starts with a submersion and swish in a hydrogen peroxide bath followed by a couple similar water baths to rinse.
Flushing is pretty much a personal choice…not a whole lot of research shows benefit…however if you just gotta do it…do it!
One point of interest that is documented …if you put you plants in 24-36 hours of darkness at the flip you WILL stimulate more rapid flowering…that’s bout all I’m gonna say about that…Forrest Gump…

11 Likes

I don’t do an extended dark period or flush really… :man_shrugging:

I read something from a well known grower once that said all the nutrients that are going to return to the roots during the dark period have done so after 6 hours of dark.

As far a flushing goes, I’ve read stuff from people who swear it makes all the difference and I’ve read stuff from people who swear it makes no difference at all. I’ve tried it. The only difference I noticed was the fan leaves died off.

I feed straight water the last couple feeds, but that’s as close as I get to a flush.

5 Likes

And, yeah, it’s totally turning colder and wetter. So, you talked me into it. LOL. sorta. I already had this. I didn’t like it but I tried it again and could almost see trichomes. So, I think I can do this, look at the trichomes. With some practice.

I’m totally going to bud wash. I got hands on training from @OlyBoy but I neglected to get his ratio and what he put in his water, so I’ll be bugging him for that info. All I remember is we dry trimmed and then washed and rinsed using three buckets and hung them to dry and then I wasn’t able to go back for more hands on training :frowning:

As for flushing, I use Jacks 321 and some Terp Tea Bloom from AN, so not sure how long I should go. I’ll check Jacks 321 site. Right now, I’m thinking maybe 7 to 10 days. Then two days in dark. Then dry trim. Then wash buds and hang to dry. I’d look into switching to pk but am too brain tired to figure anything else out at this point.

It is bittersweet, I totally get you. I tend to fall in love with my plants. But I’ve never had trouble chopping a finished tomato plant yet or a male cannabis (I had two tiny ones and one full size one, now that full size one was slightly harder than the tiny ones LOL).

Thanks so much for your reply. I’ll probably be moving my concerns to my journal later after replying to anybody here.

3 Likes

LOL … well, I’m open to anything! What do you use? Nitrogen peroxide? Lemon? Baking soda?

I think your stuff looks pretty good. I’ll be hanging mine over a bathtub on something we can take out and put back when we need. Again, OlyBoy style.

Now get back to work! :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you! I watched enough videos today to KNOW that I need to wash my buds because … yuck … LOL … I got to do this hands on with OlyBoy, so that part should be easy.

Good to hear about the darkness thing. I read it does a lot of good stuff with releasing the sugars (or something LOL) . Heh. I know you know what I mean. I can never teach this stuff. Too tongue tied.

2 Likes

That actually sounds real practical and may be all I do. Just having ANY fans leaves dry off would swing me towards doing it LOL

Well, my head is buzzing with all the info I took in today, so I’m gonna shut it down for the night and go watch Dexter with the boyfriend.

Thanks SO much!

4 Likes

I do a straight water flush for 1.5 weeks. The plants starts to eat its leaves more and then i typically chop when the plants sleeping. I dont wash my buds either. But im indoor and try very very hard to keep my grows clean. But maybe one day?

3 Likes

i just did straight water for 2 weeks. indoor only so i dont feel like washing them either. experiment. you will find what works for you! :green_heart: :grinning:

3 Likes

Damn i have to wash 6x half gallon jars so i can stuff more buds into them. Lol damn i now have 14 strains in 14x 2 gallon jars. And im adding smaller 1 gallon jars now for sample runs.

7 Likes

Maybe! Maybe when you move out into the country …

Yeah, I’m gonna flush and clean (that sounds weird, eh?) …

The question is when do I start. Better get on practicing with my cell loupe!!

Thank you!

2 Likes

But I wanna be perfect the first time! LOL … It’s true … I do … sigh

2 Likes

I don’t know how you keep it straight. I have three jars ready for filling. Three strains, three jars. Let’s just hope they get filled LOL … I bet those jars are a little sticky?

3 Likes

Freshly filled. Had kinda crunch it in there ahh. Lol

theres 2 more jars of Q-comsic glue DD.

4 Likes

I wish I needed jars that size. At least I got y’all beat on the labeling front

5 Likes

Dang prey, bitch bitch bitch, it so sucks havin so much beautiful bud like you…!!

3 Likes

Man i tell ya! Its one thing after another geeze. I put the jars upstairs hoping the wife would wash em. No such luck ha. They have wide mouth tops…not so much my hand doesnt fit inside very well. These will be here today and i got to wash them and fill 2x of them.

2 Likes

traditionally you only use hydrogen peroxide if you have moldy plants not really used as a normal wash. By rinsing you lose some trichomes.

1 Like

Thank you! I understand there will be some loss of trichomes, but I’ve read and watched so much that it’s supposed to be negligible. I can’t stand the thought of all the times a bird or bug crapped on my girls, not to mention bugs and stuff. I don’t have mold, so yay for that!

1 Like

What is that third item with the little bags of ‘Boost’? Nice jars. I was lucky to find a really great plant place here that sold jars at a really great price. I went for half gallon wide mouth glass for 4.50 each. Probably should have gone for the gallon size at $8 but they looked so big!

Those are integra boost packs they keep my moisture levels in my bud storing jars and 5 gallon buckets at optimal moisture to preserve my terpines and bud freshness.

Edit: https://www.integra-products.com/
I like these vs bovidas. The integras have moisture monitoring cards i can see through the jars easily.

1 Like