DE earth in living super soil

Wondering if anybody has ever used this for pest control, namely gnats? I am considering using as a last resort before bloom. So far I have used neem oil sprays. I will move onto milk and cayenne pepper next week and if it’s not settled by then I was thinking to use DE earth but am worried about those crystals
Killing the good microlife…although it’s still
early in the game!

2 Likes

DE is a health aid to sold at health stores… I see no issue with on the top of your soil… I have never used it… but I could be wrong so we will see if some one comes in with the other side of the argument…lol…

4 Likes

Lol, yea I’ve used it before I started with super soil, it works great!! I even drink the stuff…for detox,
Lol
But wasn’t sure with my super soil that I’m trying to cultivate!!

2 Likes

Milk? For fungus gnats? Where’d you hear that bro science? I’ve successfully remedied fungus gnats with DE. Just get the food grade stuff.

2 Likes

Yea, that’s what I have the food grade Stuff!
Look it up skim milk diluted in water with cayenne pepper-it works for most ailments Works for powdery mildew like a charm mon!!!
The cayenne is good for warding off bugs!

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve certainly heard of cayenne as a natural pesticide, it just seems that milk would curdle and spoil.:nauseated_face:
Just make sure that you leave the DE dry for as long as possible. Once you water over it it’s not effective anymore.

2 Likes

Thank you, would do it when I flip and defoliate so I won’t be watering much that week!
Kingston from gashouse swears by the milk…use skim milk even better! I always use it as a precaution before I flip! It’s a strong ass pesticide!

3 Likes

Milks used for fungicide mainly for powdery mildew never heard of it being used for bugs diatomaceous earth fixed my gnat problem

4 Likes

If you’re applying DE, use it liberally to cover the top with a thick layer of it. When you water you may have to add more.

4 Likes

Switched media havent had them since :ok_hand::ok_hand::+1::wink:

2 Likes

When mixed with cayenne pepper it works well for bugs!! It’s like 2 in 1, shampoo and conditioner. Also very good for the leaves…
Problem may be from the super soil…

Nematodes and ladybugs work wonders, I haven’t had to touch any sort of neem oil/pesticide since i got them. Only way to organically grow in my opinion since you shouldn’t spray neem oil in flower.

3 Likes

Yes I used to use the ladybugs for rooms back in Amsterdam many years ago!! Those things can eat!!
The neem only until 3rd week of 12/12 if necessary…but I don’t like to use it either!

Are you growing indoors or outdoors?
Let your soil top layer dry between waterings. Gnats lay eggs in the top layer of the soil and uses the moisture and heat to incubate the eggs.
Like @bluebananas said, Nematodes and other soil insects can also help.

2 Likes

Try gnat nix it is diatomaceous earth just larger chunks tht don’t have to stay dry and yes cover soil generously.

4 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation…
I may be in the clear now let’s see…

1 Like

It’s indoor…I’ve been letting it dry out…maybe watering twice a week making sure the top layer is dry when the meter reads 5 and waiting til the meters gets to “3” dry before I water…

1 Like

Any soil insects?

1 Like

Ladybugs and green lacewings i LOVE THEM HAHA

1 Like

Nuke Em will do the trick. The website has directions. Way better IMO.

1 Like