DEA Moves To Reschedule CBD - An Industry First!

The DEA announced Thursday that drugs including CBD with THC content below 0.1% are now considered Schedule 5 drugs, as long as they have been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

It is the first time the agency has lowered any type of cannabis from Schedule 1.

Check out the article below:

How is this going to effect commercial production and what is in store for the rest of the industry?

6 Likes

Does this recent decision by the DEA concerning CBD have an effect on any of the business owners here?

3 Likes

Definitely a step in the right direction!

5 Likes

i would assume guys in suits could interpret this as a reason to reclassify cannabis as a whole. the ACSCN uses the definition:

7360 Marihuana or hemp, including cannabis resin
7350 Marihuana extracts; hemp extracts; cannabinoids[5]

CBD being a derivative of cannabis would, likely in the future, allow some fellow in a suit to make the case that cannabis itself should be reclassified as its derivatives are deemed safe. so yea totally a good step in a right direction!

3 Likes

Hey, as a bonus, the fed in the suit could use the hemp to make another suit!

3 Likes
1 Like

Ultimately, I feel this decision represents a shift in the right direction as it represents a federal recognition of at least one medical benefit of the cannabis plant. This is a step toward outright legitimization of cannabis. Change is in the wind…

2 Likes

For now, though, it’s only for FDA-approved medicines, not CBD and hemp as a whole.
"The action came three months after the FDA approved its first nonsynthetic, cannabis-derived medicine, a CBD preparation for rare types of epilepsy. The drug, Epidiolex, is made from cannabis grown in the United Kingdom.

The DEA announcement means Epidiolex will be distributed through traditional pharmaceutical channels, from a doctor’s prescription to a drug store, instead of through a medical marijuana dispensary or designated MMJ caregiver."

In my eyes, this isn’t a win yet. It’s only a win for those who the feds deem fit for it, not the cannabis industry.

1 Like