Debate: Coco coir vs peat moss

I don’t know about anyone else but I love a good debate. I was never on the debate team or any other type of professional debate platform. But I love a great debate between friends. So if this is allowed I would like to start one here. Let’s keep it friendly and I would say professional but the reason I never debated professionally is because I’m not the best at keeping things professional. I like to cuss and throw friendly jabs. But if I ever over step please just send me a pm and let me know and I will edit my comment.

2 Likes

wonka-1

1 Like

I like both medias. I think depending on your likes. Or application. @FarmerK uses it for a drip medium.

3 Likes

So I am leaning more to the peat moss do to the fact it’s better on the environment then the harvesting of coco coir. Also it retains more water then the coco coir. Around here peat is also cheaper then coco coir. The negative is it’s more acidic.

3 Likes

I’m like Sphagnum Peat Moss. Tri blend color I prefer and it’s harvested more sustainably for all you peat haters. That means it’s vacuum drawn up top couple inches.
Coco can really crush it but terpenes are tough to bring out in hydro. Some cocos fibers are washed 3 times in monsoon rains and it’s just about an inert medium. Coco seems to require more nutes and a growers touch of keeping the Caution Exchange Rate at peak performance. When I did some side by sides coco vs peat in 2019, the peat did better and was easier to take care of for me. Overall my plants tasted better.
Peat is better for microbes.
Fungi spores for example can attach on to peat moss, hatch, and then perlifiate out as the roots take it.
Coco doesn’t work this way and we can side tangent on that.
Now days, we are putting granular or micronized biochar in the coco medium as a substitute for perlite.
I can’t grow unless I have biochar in my medium peat or coco.
I also prefer not to mix peat and coco together. It’s 1 or the other for me.
This topic can debate forever but in reality it’s about what works best for you, in your conditions, the budget, medium is super important. Drainage, water retention, mediums are so complicated I don’t reveal or go into details about my own mediums. Years, failures, blood shed, I will let the you figure this part out unless it’s an in person consulting visit $.
Kyle M

3 Likes

Peat worked well for my first grow, 11 ounces from 4 autos, I also find it to germinate seeds slightly more reliably then coco but I only just started 2nd grow with coco

2 Likes