Deleafing at Harvest

What is everyone’s favorite method for deleafing at harvest? We have used various methods over the years but I still feel we haven’t found one that works well for us. It is a labor intensive process but “if” you are going to wet trim and have not done supplemental deleafing prior to harvest it takes quite a bit of time. We have tried chains and plucking, deleafing in place through the trellis before chop, Trim Pro type machines and other methods but none feel like the right fit. Maybe it’s just like washing and cleaning pots and always will be. Opinions?

4 Likes

Upside down. and by hand. I never wet trim. However i do wash my plants right after harvest. ofcourse the fan leaves come off first

4 Likes

Definitely labor intensive and I think even if you are going to dry trim you want those fan leaves out of the mix before the hang and cure to keep quality high. I’m a fan of major defoliation during flush and then hanging the plant upside down after the chop to easily handle whats left.

5 Likes

MK3, we are playing with washing as well. Do you mind sharing how you do it and with what?
Thanks for the feedback guys.

4 Likes

So I do the process right after harvest. Right after trimming fan leaves.
Then we move on to washing. Three basin rinse is standard.
Basin one: Plain water (ROOM TEMP IS A MUST ON ALL BASINS) This basin is just a rinse dip. Quickly submerge the flower. ( I do a plant at a time) Into the water maybe one two seconds. once removed go to basin two
Basin two: Plain water with Baking soda and Lemon jucie(they offset each other and clean the flower VERY WELL) Dip in basin LIGHTLY AGITATE remove.
Basin three: Plain water Just a rinse. Quick dip and hang.

I have been using this method prob ten years. It is a must. You will notice better eveness in drying. The buds will swell some. Color will blow your mind. The taste well you tell me after you try it. Never smoke harsh flowers again.

WARNING. MAKE SURE THE WATER USED IS NOT TOO HOT OR COLD. Trichs dont like either. Room temp is ment to be what the plants grow temp is. Less shock. Less loss of trichs. You will notice five to eight percent loss. Test this by microscopic exam pre and post.

1 Like

Its super labor intensive. pots, cleaning, trimmimg, resetting, over and over and over. This is our life

1 Like

MK3, thanks and I will give it a try next harvest on some test plants. I will research the rates on the baking soda and lemon juice.
Always looking to get better!
For deleafing…I will stay on the hunt for a better method or equipment.
Thanks!

2 Likes

I am always a fan of holding off on plucking any fan leaves with remaining chlorophyll until after harvest. Any yellowing leaves we’ll remove prior to harvest (especially if they are dead or dying) but we found that when taking down a big room or a 3,000 square foot greenhouse, it’s easier and more efficient to send teams down the rows of harvested plants and deleaf them right there while they’re freshly hanging. Of course, we can never remove all the fan leaves without some serious staff attention (which is not cost-effective). I have always looked at a half-plucked plant as a small achievement and the trimmers prefer them too.

1 Like

Its a real pain for sure. But TBH i enjoy it. I can actually get up close to my plants. Really for the first time. Least amount of disturbance is best…

2 Likes