DIY Bio Char question

Not sure if this is the proper category for this post as it is more of a question than how I DIY. Feel free to move it.

With bio char being all the rage these days it seems incredibly similar to the hardwood lump charcoal I use in my smoker. Wouldn’t this work if it was broken up and sieved for a particular particle size? I am not talking about charcoal briquettes… quality hardwood lump google it if your not sure what it is.

If not, what is the difference?
Why is bio char expensive like nutrients?

1 Like

U can probably make bio char from the charcoal if it’s hardwood. But it’s not the same thing to just bust up charcoal, it’s all about the empty space that makes for the perfect home for microbes.a safe haven shall we say,but charcoal is still full of solids.bio char is basically the empty husk of wood just b4 it’s completely burned to ash. @mrcrabs is the man to talk to on that one he’s got it down

4 Likes

I saw you typing as I read and knew I’d have nothing to add Hop… but I haven’t seen Mr crab on here forever… It would be cool to pic his brain. Hop is spot on Mr Crab is next level organic. He is always always talking about making up biochar… Question though ??? So using wood like the animal bones he uses?? Might be a stoned observation? LoL oh and hey nice meeting ya weed hopper, not seen ya before - welcome and all that jazz man. Keep it green!!!

3 Likes

Your prob right I forget where I chat w him probably ig. The bone char is likely for making cal phos, similar process but you soak bone char in vinegar preferably apple cider w mom tho white vinegar would work

2 Likes

Edit - knowing Crab…they might not all be animal bones… LMAO :rofl:

3 Likes

What a better way to show tribute to the fallen :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Porosity is probably relevant like it is for air filtration but does anyone understand optimum parameters for bio char? Probably controlled by material as well as process but for the DIY guy seems like there is money to be saved here even if it not optimized. Hell primitive cultures didn’t care they just burned…

Calling all #biochar experts… opinions

2 Likes

Charcoal is not biochar.
Biochar is made in a lab under pressure, 0 oxygen, and the poisonous gas is removed from the char and the atmosphere sustainably.
When it comes to biochar, the lighter and more porous, the better it is.
More room for hotels of microbes, nutes, toxins, filtering, and slow release what the plants needs in flower or times of stress and biochar is a great amendment.

I like to nutrify or “charge” my micronized biochar 1st.
Uploading: 0906201659_HDR~2.jpg…

At Key to Life Supply, we use Ancient Secret Biochar at 1-2 tsp per gallon of medium.

Or about 5-10% biochar with your medium.
It can take several years to accomplish those % outside in the Earth.
Biochar is the Shitt and if your not using it, OMgosh.
Kyle M.

4 Likes

I was about to tag you till I seen I seen post lol

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/svNg5w7WY0k .it’s totally possible to do at home here’s a link

3 Likes
3 Likes

That is some good info

4 Likes

:facepunch:t2:
Biochar is good stuff. I use it in my Ed Rosenthol soil mixture :+1:t2:
Watch 1 and 2
This place makes and sells it but Also shows how to make it. :v:t2::sunglasses::v:t2:

3 Likes

@FarmerK got me on the bio char train … IDK is I see the difference yet but again everything is different this cycle… I went from cocco to Coast of Maine Stonington blend. And using KTL and Earth Juice kicking the synthetic nutes So it is all new so time will tell lol

5 Likes

Great thread guys and gals. Very good info!

3 Likes

Love earth juice best bottled nutes imo next to bio canna

2 Likes

Dave… is that you man? … Dave’s not here…
Ok, this is the first item on a quick Google… Might seem like I posted my question after reading but I truly did not. Interesting but according to Dave my intuition was correct… Sure like nutes we are all fooled into buying commercialized products cause of marketing hype… Biochar: Good for your garden AND your carbon footprint! - Dave's Garden

I’m going for it and saving money!

1 Like

Ancient Secret $60 for one cu ft.

Quality hardwood lump $13 for 20lbs
Mixed hardwood, hickory, oak, mesquite…

I think you can save time, money and get good results… nobody peddling commercial bio char would ever be able to quantify their claims otherwise.

3 Likes