DIY CO2 generator

Since the lights I bought for my tent are crap for flower phase (see my previous post about the Blueberry Muffin and Chocolope), I have been looking for very inexpensive ways to boost flowering. Purchasing new lights is not an option right now.
I found a story from a guy who made his own CO2 generator similar to an Exhale bag.
It only requires a plastic bag ( preferably 1-2 gallons), cardboard, coffee grounds, sugar, mushrooms, and the nozzle and cap of a plastic drink bottle.
Here is my creation. Has anyone done this and, if so, was it beneficial to the plants, or a waste of time? I have only a single White Widow young plant in the tent.

6 Likes

I’ve never done homemade ones only the exhale bags and they do make a difference in the grow. U’ll know if it’s producing in a few days if u see lots of white mushroomy looking blobs form. Like an exhale bags does. Keep breaking it up as it goes and it’ll get the co2 brewing in the bag by mixing it every so often and breaking it up some.

5 Likes

Are the results very visible and fast?

4 Likes

I havnt used them in a couple grow just totally forgot about them but the first run I did without 2nd I did with and 3rd and tricome production to me felt like it was double as thick on buds for sure. I get what to me feels like half the coverage I did with them. Unless it’s a closed loop system it will not make a tremendous difference in some things and will in others. Honestly I always had mine on the floor as the exhaust pulls everything upwards so it pulls the co2 upwards into the leaves or atleast that’s how I felt and I wanna say was better results and the bags didn’t work up as fast not being in the light so much plus the bags always felt like they had more buildup air pressure in the bags on the floor like it was filled and pushing stuff out. Hanging I never noticed the bags poof up as much

5 Likes

How much co2 is produced when you enter the room? Do you have monotors?
How much are you going for? Co2 adds 3 percent to a Commercial grow in production.

8 Likes

I have no monitors. I am just trying whatever I can, at nearly zero cost, to provide as much boost as possible to flowering since new lights are out of the question.
I have no idea how much CO2 is necessary to help the plants. Just learning as I go.

5 Likes

You’ll need a monitor to even know if it’s working in my opinion it’s not going to make a difference if conditions aren’t optimal

4 Likes

When i would enter the grow, i would add 400 to 600 ppm. Pets will also add co2. Just breathing in the areas brings it up.

4 Likes

Well then, I am going zip up my cat into the tent! My Golden probably won’t miss him.

5 Likes

Yeah we have 2 people and a dog and from us just living in house CO2 runs between 7-900 in grow rm those bags are just a gimmick IMO CO2 is free. Pretty much

2 Likes

I just realized something. By making this CO2 generator, I am speeding up the complete destruction of the planet by adding more deadly CO2 and causing global warming! Or is it global cooling…or climate change?! I’m a global murderer!

2 Likes