DIY LED Lighting Setup (Chip on board) - Help me!

Hello, everyone!

This is my first experience making a post here, so let’s go.

To make a very quick introduction about my goals:

Me and @arexxurus recently graduated at Electronic Engineering and we decided to deep dive in your passion using all the stuffs that we’ve learned in our journey. Life and other things included.

Our budget is really short, so we are trying to develop an automated hydroponic system (talk for another Topics). We are fine with the electronic stuff but we are really noob in grower universe. It is our first adventure planting!

Bearing in mind the money restriction (first steps after college…), we are trying to build our own lighting setup. This is the problem.

This setup should use this LEDs below (100W/Chip on board):

We’ve thought to use this layout for the lights:

And make a box to hold all these lights cooled by an individual heatsink for each light + 4 fan coolers for this box.

In the end we would like to have a box with 7 COBs and dimensions of 50cm x 40 cm.

Then, our beginner’s questions are:

• What material should I use for the box? I have no idea, maybe aluminium (?)
  • Is this “cooler setup” enough for 700W LED COBs?
  • Would be good this layout for the plants lighting absorption?

Anything would be helpful!

Great hugs!

4 Likes

I built my cob lights like this. I copied it

5 Likes

I would use aluminum. I would go with the design style
image same as last posted reply. For the plants lighting absorption. Optimal absorption of light occurs at different wavelengths for different pigments. So spectrum, wavelength, color of light, here is a reference image,
There is a large amount information on web foe specifics.

2 Likes

Would love to get the info on a dimmable driver for 6 COBs. I grow in 2x4 boxes and the COBs I use now are still not covering the way I’d like. A source and BOM for all of the materials would be great. If any interest I would build “kits” and sell to cover costs. Not out to make big bux as people who know me already know!

3 Likes

Hello!

I would love to have it as well.

We are planning to start to work in these details as soon we finish our first control/monitoring system.

Currently we are building this first light structure and making tests with our sensors.

If you have any progress with the dimmer, could you send me a message?

1 Like

Yeah!

Many thanks for the reply. I am making some sketches to build anything similar.

After a little while I’ll post here my drawing.

Feel free to give me tips.

1 Like