Diy light build

My friend recommended I build a light, he sent me a link and referred me to the “DIY” section of the site.I wasn’t sure where to start. I’m and electrician by trade and have some ET experience.

My basic understanding is all you would need are the right drivers to power the boards or light panels you want to push. Maybe a heat sink and/or fans to keep things cooler.

As far as what I see…would I have to make my own housing for the panels or boards? And how would the panels safely be mounted to a surface without damaging it? Or would this even by much of an issue?
As far has hanging the fixture itself, what would have to be done? The kits I saw were pretty bare. Some had drivers and board/panels, some with heat sinks some without. The wattage rating is a little lower than what I’m used to seeing even though that may not be a bad thing. If anyone can give me any tips on where to start that would be amazing.

2 Likes

U can find any kind of thicker type of aluminum for a heatsink think u want corrugated alum if I’m not mistaken it is light and a thicker type of aluminum just make sure it’s thick enough to support the heat unlike how the China companies use a paper thing piece of aluminum and the boards get fire red hott. Lol. I burned my arm on an enfun board setup as the heatsinks are thin small stuff and got super super hott. Went to change out a driver on a light and my arm touched the heatsink and burned the shit out my arm. Had a big ass blister there lol. Not fun.

3 Likes

I have used heatsink usa. For longer heat sinks. I intentionally got some that were a lot bigger so i had a space in between that is also a heatsink. So i have extra cooling ability. I found 4’x2’ long heat sinks. Then i drilled them with my drill press to the quantum board hole positions. Then i tapped the holes with my tap kit so i could use the screws that came with the boards to mount them to the heatsinks.

I just use a hand drill and tap it slowly using machine oil.

3 Likes