Do I need air pump for RO water storage?

I am growing organic indoors and use an RO filter to make sure no chemicals mess with biological processes.

The RO filter takes a long time to put out a decent volume of water and I was thinking of setting up a 100 gallon reservoir for purified water. I plan on keeping it pure RO water and adding nothing until it’s in a separate container ready for application.

Do I need to keep this reservoir oxygenated with an aquarium air pump or will it be fine without one?

4 Likes

I don’t know any science about it, but I keep between 30 and 60 gallons in barrels without aeration. When I use it, it gets aerated because I use their stones in the solution when I’m mixing my nutrients. I use a reservoir for feeding. So I mix 15 gallons at a time. and in the nutrients I have an air stone and it comes on 10 minutes before the feed pump to aerate the nutrient solution before it goes to the plants. I’ve been doing this for several years. Never had a problem. :+1:t3:

5 Likes

Awesome thanks. :sunglasses:

Yeah I was just worried that maybe something anaerobic could grow without being oxygenated but there again with pure RO water there’s no nutrients for anything to grow.

4 Likes

I do the same I keep my ro in a 55 gallon barrel with no aeration and there’s never any problems once I mix into my nutrients reservoirs I have a small fountain pumps that kick on every couple of hours to circulate for 15 min if you’re ro filter is super slow they do work a little better when temps are cooler and water pressure is a little higher I can get 50 gallons in about two two and a half hours out of my RO buddy 100

5 Likes

I still have to time mine but I think it’s way slower than that. 5 gallons takes at least 30 minutes

Maybe I should look at getting a different RO filter…

5 Likes

Maybe water pressure? My pressure is good, they do make a booster pump for ro buddy filters if city pressure is low

5 Likes

I have the 50 gallon ro buddy and I get about 30 gallons overnight. I just turned it on and walk away. Come back 12 hours later. I have low water pressure most of the time I’m on the well. So my pressure gets down to 30 pounds before my well kicks back on. I also do it outside, so if I forget about it, and it overflows no harm no foul.

4 Likes

Its fine. I filled 1500 gallon tanks at the shop. Outside i just blockedout sunlight. Used it frequently and didnt see much issuse.

4 Likes