Do you ever give your pets cannabis?

Pet products with cannabis are all over the place these days. Giving pets cannabis products has quickly gained cultural acceptance. The passage of the 2018 Farm Bill opened the door to a spectrum of CBD pet products. I have a 13 year old black lab who gets cannabis products regularly and is very healthy and happy; in fact, it’s the only medicine he gets. How do you feel about pets and cannabis? Have you ever given your furry friend some relief?

4 Likes

I rescued Bailey 3 years ago from the shelter. She is my 3rd shelter dog and all of them have been best dogs ever. Bailey was a abused dog so she has very high anxiety. She also at her young age deleveloped incontinence. My wife working in the Vet Industry for 20 plus years took in her to see the Doc and make recommendations. Diazepam was one of the drugs prescribed along with 3 others for different times of the day. Now if my wife didn’t work in the industry these meds would be very expensive and most pet owners won’t keep up on it. The sad thing is the poor pup can’t control her urinating so she would get dupmed off or worse, beaten. We have 6 pets total (3 dogs, 3 cats) and they can play into her anxiety levels. You can tell with her actions when she is starting to feel uncomfortable. This is where cannabis comes into play. Even though she is on all the other meds, sometimes it isn’t enough. I will give her about a half of gram ground up on a piece of cheese. 20-30 mins later she is calm, and lovable. Now anyone tht has ever had the plessure of having a Pitty in the pack, you will know they are a high energy dogs and needs a lot… a lot of exercise. Cannabis help me keep her focused when it is time to work and burn off energy. BTW the Doc had ZERO issue with us using cannabis in small doses.

4 Likes

That’s an awesome story, @TheWaterGuy! Thanks for taking the time with her and having the patience to give her a good home. It sounds like she is much happier with you and your fantastic treatment. Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Sometimes strong doses of THC can work wonders also - check out this story about what happened with my dog last year:

6 Likes

That is miraculous! This plant is pretty incredible, @nikki! I think we are only beginning to understand its true medicinal potential.

2 Likes

CBD, yes. Cannabis, no.

Dexter ate part of a chocolate bar a few years ago. The vet said THC can cause heart failure in pets. He was more concerned with that than the piece of chocolate (it was milk chcoolate, not as dangerous).

3 Likes

One of the best Co. for CBD for pets. https://dogdreamcbd.com/

3 Likes

@amy have you seen any research into this? It seems troubling that THC can kill pets but can’t fell a human. I would be interested to see why that is.

3 Likes

I’m not of the opinion that a plant is 100% harmless to every one and every thing.

There aren’t a ton of studies yet, because it is still Schedule 1. I just know what MY vet told me when my dog ate part of a chocolate. It was scary as heck, and I never want to see that again.

2 Likes