Do you Recognize this pest?

Might be caterpillars look between every nod if you have that plant outside that is going to be the biggest killer you see poop one day infestation the next week the biggest killer of outside crop they poop make bud rot all through the bud I lost half of my outdoor crop before I realized bud start turning brown everywhere little green caterpillars or between everybody and they eat and burrow through it take care of it immediately BT works

5 Likes

Sorry I thought that was poop that’s some type of mouth or something that flies

4 Likes

It’s hard to see if those leaves are speckled like spider mites I do believe they call that a lace bug or something along that line they suck juices out of leaves and leave all those little speckled marks all over

4 Likes

Ok so here is the answer. The bugs are thrips, and I was able to get rid of them by using:

1. Organicide Safe 3 in 1 garden spray (active ingredient sesame oil)
  2. A bit of DE over the top layer of soil
  3. Also planted 2x5gal grow bags of lemongrass next to my cannabis, and I’m seeing a lot fewer bugs. Thanks to everyone who gave advice!

–Special thank you to user pptrsha1 for recommending giving me the exact product I needed. Also cheap got a 24 fl oz bottle for 10 bucks.

5 Likes

We are dealing with thrips right now, identified yesterday. Now this is priceless advice. Thank you @pptrsha1

6 Likes

This looks more like a water bug, leg wise to me.

Ive only seen baby thrips. I havent seen adults, i guess.

4 Likes

It is a soft bodied leaf hopper whatever it is, so it’s responding to the spray.

5 Likes

6 Likes

Yeah I knew it wasn’t a Thrip.

Glad you got rid of them.

Marty

4 Likes

Still think they were thrips: Here’s another pic:

4 Likes

Those arent thrips. Thrips are freaking tiny and they look like tiny gold slivers. The hide in the viens of the leaves on plants and can clap fly. Short burst of there wings they kinda hop quick. Those are not thrips. But i also use a similar spray. Monterey garden spray kills thrios in a couple days ands its cheap like the stuff @pptrsha1 said. It might be the same stuff. Got a label pic?

5 Likes

Hard to tell from image, looks like aphids and they love the Rugby Huddle.

7 Likes

Lol i like that har har ha!

6 Likes

Alright so now I’m going to send pics to Colorado state university etymology lab. We will see.

5 Likes

Some kind of a planthopper according to me. There are many different hoppers.

Issus coleoptratus ???

Although aphids looks plausible too.

4 Likes

Nice because i cant tell what those are? I get aphids thrips and mites out in the garden every year. Sometimes they get inside and you have to be on it quick.

5 Likes

Here is the response I got from the expert.

Those appear to be newly hatched nymphs of some kind of lace bug.

Not sure of the species, but I am guessing it might be the one known as cotton lace bug, Corythuca gossypii.

What you will see as a symptom from lace bugs are whitish flecking wounds on the upper surface. The nymphs and their dark spots of excrement will be on the underside.

These insects cause damage to hemp that would be insignificant to plant growth/health unless the infestation was of Biblical proportion.

6 Likes

I keep a shop vac ready for any infested leaves and general clean up with a 100’ cord. I dont like infested plant parts carried through the grow. Any issues are handled in that grow room. I use the shop vac a lot and have a exhaust filter attached so nothing can get back out of the vacuum in case and it is always emptied outside the building and into special bags. And then i take it apart while im outside an spray it out with a hose. Im not a fan of sweeping ever…its messy and stirres up more dust than its worth. I like to remove the dust and the shop vacuum is the ticket. :+1:

5 Likes

In case anyone is interested here is the entymologist’s info:

5 Likes

Wasn’t trying to be argumentitive…it just didn’t look like a thrip. I thought it was a leafhopper of some kind but I wasn’t sure. In any event doesn’t sound like it was much of a threat to the plant, but no bugs are better than some bugs…if you don’t have bad ones you don’t need good ones to eat them lol.

Marty

5 Likes