Does anyone calibrate their hygrometers? (for curing)

I have a bunch of hygrometers that I use for curing. I also use them for my humidors for my cigars. I’ve spent a bunch of money to keep my cigars at 70% rh (and 70 degrees) , and I am trying to keep my harvested cannabis at 62% or lower.

@LoCoRocK @mudman @defnsmokn @kdawg @happyhippy @sssportsmfg @Slym3r @bow4buck @repins12 @happilyretired
How much time and effort do you take to ensure your harvest is kept at an appropriate temp and relative humidity? I am keeping my weed at 62% (with Boveda packs), but I prefer to smoke it at a lower rH (like 55%). I’m trying not to over think this, but I was wondering what anyone else does (or if this even matters to them).

3 Likes

Come this harvest time I plan on trying to keep the buds as close to 60/60 as I can.

2 Likes

My hygrometers are too cheap to be calibrated, but I checked them against a Boveda pack, so I know the margin of error. For “long term” storage I use a 62rh Boveda, but lately we haven’t been able to keep any around long enough to need it. :laughing:

5 Likes

Man all 5 of them are within 2% on the humidity… lol temps vary a little more then I’d feel comfortable with though. …lol I think I have 8 of them exact gauges… 4 for $20 or something like that… Regardless for the price I’m pretty sure recalibrating consists of purchasing a new one… Lol
Maybe if you dunk them under water it resets them to 100% humidity… LMAO…:thinking::zipper_mouth_face::speak_no_evil::joy:

5 Likes

They sell 55% humidity packs if that’s what you prefer just use those. It’s your weed do it your way. I store mine at 62% and then I fill small jars and partake from the small jars it usually dries out pretty quick in them down to 55 or so and then it doesn’t last that long because it’s a small amount.
If you have multiple jars and you have some for long-term storage once you get them to 62% you can just seal them like that and forget them. The moisture can’t get out. So you don’t need anything to add or subtract moisture, but if you’re opening and closing it to remove flower for use then you should keep a moisture pack in it to keep it fresh.
:thinking: That’s my thoughts on the subject. :+1:t3::+1:t3::v:t3:

3 Likes

We smoke ours around 70-72% RH. Any less and it burns up way too fast.

3 Likes

I smoke mine when I see it!!

5 Likes

I find they smoke great at 55-58% in my shallow half moon bowl but for joints I’m goin to use my pot stored with packets at 62% I just haven’t had the time to roll any (dam 7 day job every since covid hit)

4 Likes

i dropped my room hygrometer into my water bucket. i took out the litle battery and it dried and is fine. i have 2 of them so i checked them, the little packs i put in the jars are only good for about a minute here. i grow it dry it cure it and give it away so i dont know if i will ever find out about stored weed. THIS time i have a jar of weed left to last me to harvest.

5 Likes

I prefer mine at 55% as well. Works best in my vapes. My temps in my house stay 70-72 year round. Once my jars stay around 55% for several days without opening them, I put them away. :v:t4:

4 Likes

I use those lil cheap hygrometers also. They say they are not accurate but something to give an idea is better then nothing IMHO. Guess I actually get lucky, mine always seems to stabilize in the jar around 57% it also seems to be my sweet spot. I do have drying issues though, my house simply is dry as a bone. Most say 7-10 day dry time. From the start I have been going by stem snap. Usually only about 5 days drying for me.

5 Likes

I actually just got a pack of those hygrometer last week. I keep a Boveda pack in my C vault. I was just thinking about the same thing. What I think I am going to do is mix up a salt/water slurry as I need to calibrate my inkbird humidity controller. So I was going to add a couple of the small jar meters and the ones I use in the tent and check to see if they are close. I don’t think you can adjust them but what I will do is make up stickers to indicate the difference between what they are reading compared to the salt slurry after sitting in a sealed container for at least 8hrs. The salt slurry should maintain 75% in a sealed environment. I actually think my flower tent controller is off it seems more humid than it says it is.

4 Likes

I dont calibrate but I lay them out and the ones that are close the same reading I use

4 Likes

I’ve got some Boveda packs on the way and I got the 62% version. I am thinking that I made a mistake and should have gotten the 58%. While I haven’t tried them thus far, it sounds too high to me. I know Boveda markets them as the higher the water content the “more valuable” your harvest…which I take to mean if you are selling it, it weighs more. But I don’t sell it. I’m thinking that 62% is going to be a bit soggy for smoking. lol I currently have my Infinity fan set at 62% in my grow tent with everything hanging in there drying. I did have 4 of them out in the main basement as I had two that needed to go a few days longer. Now all 6 are in the tent 4 are dryer than the last two. Guess we will find out !

3 Likes

I’ve used 62’s ever since I started using them. I should really try a 58. That 4% may make a difference or they wouldn’t sell em right… LoL but ya know the smallest things can be that difference maker they say…thanks for talking me into it!

3 Likes

This is what I do also with the hygrometers that I am able to calibrate.

And I keep the cheap ones that are close (percentage-wise) after they’ve been stable for a day or two at room temp. The ones that are ‘off’ from my calibrated hygros, I just take the batteries out (and set them aside in a little bag for the next time I calibrate.

That’s the main reason why I brought this topic up. There’s a concept called “dry boxing”, where cigar smokers will take a few sticks from a humidor kept at 70% and place them in a dry humidor (oxymoron) for a few days to lower the RH (Φ).

And I do that as well.

It’s good to see like-minded individuals here. Thank you all.

4 Likes

Thanks, @MrBlue!

I just ordered one.

2 Likes

Awesome u got a better deal too that cool…
They work really good. U can add also I wanna say up to 10 but I’m not 100% sure about that. Can name each one like veg room then the next flower room etc. I think I’m because I hate putting on those led forehead green deals on when lights are out to see what temps and RH is

2 Likes

This is a cool app!

2 Likes

You got er eh? Coolbeans , if you have two rooms u can name one veg and the other flower too

2 Likes