Drying cannabis

so this year I think i am going to use a dry box method as it will be my biggest harvest yet. I wanted to see if others have tried this or they tried as well? I like to keep simple and affordable so i found i should try this.

3 Likes

i use cardboard boxes. i did it last few grows.

4 Likes

I’ve always just hung sting lines everywhere and just hung up all the branches main colas facing down.

3 Likes

Nice yeah usually I hang them on clothes hangers and dry in a room but this year I seen the cardboard box method and the reviews have been awesome so I’m gonna give it a try! Drying 10 lbs in boxes might take a lot of boxes :flushed:

4 Likes

I did it with boxes last year, came out great. I will do same way again.

3 Likes

Ya that’s our problem. When the whole house isn’t enough room how would boxes even be an option lol

5 Likes

Well in the research I did a lot of people say it actually can help save room because you can stack the boxes. I haven’t done it yet myself, but I’m gonna give it a go because my closet is not enough to dry 10+ lbs lol. I hope it works, I’m happy with feedback and reviews.

5 Likes

10lbs in a closet is tough. I just trim the big fan leaves. Chop all the branches and hang them on racks for 7-10 days at like %35rh. Then i cut the buds into jars or 5 gallon buckets with integra boost or bovitas. I usually need an entire room. In my grow i can do 35-50 plants at a time.

6 Likes

Nice! As I get closer I’ll probably end up doing half boxes and half the way I used to do it which is super similar to how you do it. By the way, happy for your recovery! @preybird1

5 Likes

Hi to all. First time contributing.
For years I’ve used a combination of the two methods. Depending on conditions ( temp - humidity) I’ll hang my plants for a few days till the buds feel a little crusty, but the stems are still quite flexible . ( most leaves have been removed but buds not yet closely trimmed at this time)
I’ll now, remove buds from branches and place in a cardboard box. By opening and closing the flaps of the box, you will be controlling the speed at which moisture dries from the buds. Drying rate also depends on the humidity and temperature in the room that the box is stored.
I believe the best cureing is achieved by drying the bud as slow as you can without it going moldy. This is done by checking the buds for wetness often, gently rotating the buds inside the box, and adjusting the box flaps (open or closed ) to control drying rate. During this time, i start to trim the buds more closely, especially the green leaf, that holds lots of moisture. During this time, you’r able to more closely inspect you’r buds for any problems.
Now that the buds have dried sufficiently, they are now transferred to glass storage bottles. … And again check occasionally, especially for the first few days. There are many fine drying and curing techniques, … this one was mine.
This method demands your daily attention as opposed to hanging in a tent, at. 50- 60% humidity and come back in a week.
… Happy growing

6 Likes

Thanks so much for the reply and welcome back! I appreciate the details, I am going to be trying 2-3 different ways so far that way I can dial down the way works best for me! Happy growing cheers! @hbincan

3 Likes

We got one of the mesh dry racks off Amazon last year that helped immensely. Like preybird said it helps with the smaller branches and little stray buds. And I also highly recommend getting some 5 gallon buckets or even tubs. I started using 5 gallon buckets last year and it’s tbe best thing ever. Once the branches get dry enough you can cut them into small enough sizes to stick them in a bucket to save to trim later! Helped us so much last year and we pretty much had weed to trim from October well past December.

2 Likes

Nice I’ll have to look into that more! So when you put them in buckets is the lid open? and this is just slowing down and prolonging the dry time? @970cannetics

3 Likes

I let them dry anywhere from 10-14 maybe even 20 days if I get a super slow dry. Doing my best during that time to keep the branches as long and whole as I can. Then when it is dry out enough to pretty much trim and throw in a jar then yes I just throw them into a five gallon bucket cutting the branches to fit. And putting the lid on labeling it dating it and then you can come back to it when you want. We got to some almost four months later and it was hardly noticable they were in there for that time. Just waiting to be trimmed. You can still burb the buckets if you want but it wasn’t necessary for us. Boveta packets are the best tho in any case. 65%-69% humidity is good for getting super dry but some moisture back but for getting wetter buds dryer or keeping them at the best moisture level 59%-62% is the best!

5 Likes

Nice okay yeah i got a good visual there and i like it gonna give it a try! thanks for the details bro! @970cannetics

4 Likes

I dry like @970cannetics
takes about 14-20 days. I use the tent i flower in to dry usually. Seal up the tent in dark, Dehu set to 50-55 intake and exhausts have filters. If things get too dry too quickly I will add a mini humidifier half way.
I like to clip off all fan leaves leaving only sugar leaf tips and buds on branches, cut main branches off the main stem but leave them together then hang them with 2-3 inches apart. 2-3 fans moving air from the bottom up.
temps ~68-75F

Then jars and bovedas. I like the 58% personally, the 62% gives you a bit more weight on the scales and some people like softer bud. Also the bigger your buds/colas the slower of a cure you will likely need. imo, you should try to keep a smaller jar with a oz or so for a couple of weeks/months and see when you get the best cure if this is a new variety so you can note it for future cures.

congrats!

5 Likes

Yup everything he said dialing it in that’s my goal this year. Keeping the cannabis at 60°f is best for keeping the product fresh and keep the THC cannabinoids happy and ready to smoke. And I do the same going into jars after the buckets for curing.

4 Likes

@970cannetics @mike.c you guys are champs! thanks for the details and the time! It’s good to see everyone’s techniques and goals!!

4 Likes