East Coast Cannabis

@memberdirectory, we have good reason to again raise our joints in celebration: legal retail cannabis stores have finally opened their doors for business in Massachusetts, marking the end of prohibition and the beginning of a new industry in the first East Coast state in America. What do you believe will be the implications of legalization? Do you live in MA? How will adult use legal cannabis affect your town? Do you see a wave of reform sweeping the East Coast as the money starts impacting communities? Let’s chat legal weed!

18 Likes

@Growernick as a native Pennsylvanian, I can’t tell you how often people continue to express shock that medical is even a viable program. Many felt that the colonial strip would be the last states to fall given their puritanical roots and still archaic liquor laws that inhabit many of their policy systems. Massachusetts has always been somewhat of an anomaly in this regard as they are a hub to one of the largest city centers in the country (Boston) while remaining staunchly conservative in many aspects of state government.

That said, the wheels are clearly in motion. New York has relaxed cannabis laws for years and is a clear pillar of a legalization strategy. It will be interesting to see which grips hold first: the eastern seaboard or the rust belt. Places with traditional city hubs have a lot to gain in resources and community healing by legalizing cannabis. So whether you live in Philadelphia or Chicago this remains a political rallying point.

7 Likes

Great to hear from you, @akinney! Well said: the wheels are in motion! How do you predict legalization might impact your hometown in PA?

3 Likes

Well, I grew up in a conservative leaning suburb of Pittsburgh which is now your typical case study for the midwestern opioid crisis. So in this regard, even these areas have embraced a medical program. My family which all now lives in the city of Pittsburgh has been able to witness ongoing relaxation of criminal penalties regarding cannabis and it is still a barrier but the mayor Bill Peduto is a progressive who has…much to the chagrin of many natives…embraced an aggressive forward thinking strategy for the city. It won’t surprise me if the city itself legalizes cannabis before the state adopts a program. Both chambers of state government are republican while the governorship remains democratic so I would not expect any big movements legislatively soon…but someone inevitably ends up trying every year so who knows!

4 Likes

MA resident here. This is certainly a historic day for us, and in true New England fashion, it is colored with a lovely wintry mix. Although today marks the first day of adult use sales, the cultural shift won’t really be felt until shops open closer to the city. For those of us who live in the Greater Boston Area, Northampton and Leicester might as well be in Nebraska. Here’s hoping that day comes sooner than later. My hometown of Salem already has a medical dispensary, and there have been several applications for adult use shops. I’m proud our city has taken such a progressive stance on this issue, and believe it will be a boon to the local economy that other towns will want to replicate.

9 Likes

I expect that, like other places where legal cannabis has crept into the local culture, when the money starts to roll in, event the most conservative members of your local community want a piece of the green! Case in point in Arizona is the number of LDS-owned dispensaries and cannabis businesses…yeah, the Mormons are in the weed game! There’s your sign.

3 Likes

@BenMGC! It’s great to hear from you! I stopped by your booth at MJBizCon and was disappointed to learn you weren’t at the show.

I expect you’ll see rec dispensaries making their way to your hometown soon!

3 Likes

@Growernick Oh man. Sorry I missed you. I couldn’t get out there this year, but will hopefully make it next time. I was bummed to miss you at CannMed as well. We’ll have to meet up one of these days!

3 Likes

I’ll be at the next CannMed for sure! Next time I’m in MA we’ll have to put one in the air :cloud:

4 Likes

This will definitely cause a chain reaction effect for the Northeast. A lot of people at Arcview last week were talking about New Jersey, so did Wanda James at Women of Cannabis. Once NJ goes, NY will go because they’ll be jealous, then the whole NE will follow suit. What an amazing time to witness!

3 Likes

Whoohoo, what a win! Well I hail from the Garden State, but am somewhat familiar with Mass in the sense that it is a bit of an oxymoron . On one hand, it’s always been known for its political liberalism, and somewhat social as well. On the other hand, there is a strong button up aspect to it as well, you definitely feel like you’re in traditional New England. I applaud this step in the right direction - there have already been so many events, festivals and social gatherings surrounding cannabis since it’s been legal for medical - in fact it was so mainstream, I actually thought for a while that it was recreational and then was sadly disappointed when I visited Salem and learned that I did in fact need a medical card :smile: Btw, if you want a scene - and some incredible costumes - go to Salem during Halloween! It will be interesting to see the state loosen up even a bit more…

3 Likes

SO looking forward to moving back to Boston next summer to support cannabis/hemp out there. Congrats to Liberty Cannabis, check them out in Somerville! Sensi Magazine in Boston is on the move too, let’s do this!

3 Likes

Im very pleased in the path we are heading. Especially towards Nation wide leagalization. Hoping to get some beans from the East coast soon. Some amazing flowers out there.

3 Likes

As one of, I’m guessing, the few Indiana residents in here, I’m guessing East coast will get it long before Rust Belt. However Utah’s vote gave me hope. Also I live like 2 minutes from Michigan so that helps me personally. WTG Mass!

4 Likes

As a NJ-based company we are totally thrilled at recent regulatory and political developments affecting the East Coast (it’s quite about time)!

We are already one of the largest suppliers to the New England medicinal cannabis wholesale network (gloves, masks, apparel, infection control, steel instruments) so we are very excited to see how things progress, both there as well as in New Jersey and New York!

If you are interested in significantly reducing your fixed costs/overhead of supplies, while gaining the assurance of using FDA-approved, hospital-grade products in your facility - please feel free to send me a PM! All PRIMO products are 100% satisfaction guaranteed!

5 Likes

Yes I heard this at Arcview as well. It’s absolutely accurate - as we can see, Gov. of NY has already made it a top priority to legalize this upcoming year in response to NJ’s push for legalization and the results from the NY Department of Health’s research in 2018.

@rebecca I’m out here in the Garden State as well! Would love to connect.

4 Likes

A buddy of mine works for Arcview. One of the higher ups. Good dude. They know thier stuff. I highly reccommend. If you are going to use them for your brand let me know. maybe a little birdy can put a good word in for you.

5 Likes