Electronic ballast question

Had a question. Ive had my ballast for 5 years and was lookin in at the fan and see alot of dust. Could i possibly carefully take it apart and clean the dust out? Has anyone tried this? If you have share your experience.

5 Likes

I use to clean computer fans with cans of compressed air. That should work for you too, and it’s easy, quick and safe!

5 Likes

If you a DIY type guy you can do it. At 5 years old it might be a good time for a service and replace a couple parts. If you dont know much about electrics it might be a good idea to pay your local growshop for a service. And your bulbs?

6 Likes

Do you have a compressor and blow gun? Set it at like 50 psi and see if that helps. I’ve never opened one up so I’m not sure how fragile it is inside.

3 Likes

There not that fragile inside. Big problem is high voltage stored up. If you ground it. it can shock the life out of you seriously. I would were a grounding strap or rubber gloves and take the cover off and then blow it out and use a water color paint brush to get heavy stuff off. And blow it out and it will be fine. If you use tweezers becareful not to touch componants inside together. Or bzzzzzt!

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick replys. I am a diy type of guy but to an extent. Im not an electrician by any means but i understand how to be careful. But its just trippy because its high voltage. I would unplug everything for sure. I just dont wanna break somethin and be out a light lol.

3 Likes

Well you would be really surprised how much voltage is stored inside even unplugged. Watched my friend almost electrocuted to death fucking with an unplugged t.v.! Unplug it for a day before you mess with it. This way the capacitor and feild losed some energy

3 Likes

I was reminded once when I was changing the tubes in my bass amp, touched the capacitor and bam wtf shocked the crap out of me.

5 Likes

Damn well if i do decide to try and clean it ill definitely leave it unpluged for a couple days so i do get a nice shock. Lol.

1 Like

I do not. I have some computer duster.

1 Like

Computer duster air cans work ok also anything helps. usually unplug mine and jus blow them out and pull the hair out once a month if there is any.

3 Likes

@dank_c Bad news my friend, if your talking a digital ballast it is time to buy a new one :wink: you can’t replace the capacitor on the board as it will be encased or part of the board.a aerovox capacitor(best brand on market) still needs replacing every 2-3 yrs Topps if your power grid is kind.this is why I prefer a megnetic ballast for hids I can rebuild them. Not a big fan of digital ballasts for this reason they are costly and break down.a true square wave digital ballast is worth the trade off I find tho.the lamp for not flicker the same at all it’s lit up way more (less off cycle) but some cheap ones make a horrible hum sound, and wear out the lamps super quick. If buying a new light I’d just go cmh/led if u got the cash :wink:

8 Likes

A capacitor will hold it’s charge for months!! You need to use a resistor to neutralize the charge or just cross the terminals with a screwdriver but don’t touch the metal on screwdriver or u will get a good belt

8 Likes

This charge won’t kill u but may burn or blow a hole In Your hand ,it exactly the same thing as a stun gun they are just capacitance loads :wink:

9 Likes

Lol see there kinda dangerous.

3 Likes

Just need to be aware of how they work and how to neutralize the charge I’ve never had any problems with the. And have rebuilt them hundreds of times :wink:

6 Likes

Yeah for sure i dont wanna fuck myself up. Just kinda wanted to clean out some of the dust is all. My ballast on the other hand is still rockin really well. Just wanted to give it a little clean.

4 Likes

Best way to tell is a light meter ,it’s hard to tell with the naked eye.i also tell by yeilds.

5 Likes

My yields have possibly been a bit lower. Lol maybe time for a new one.

2 Likes

Hoppiefrogs comment is dead on. I still have ballast 20 years old that I just keep changing the igniter or capacitors. Your humm comment cracks me up. Even an expensive ballast can humm. Hahaha dam things get loud too lol if you hear it over a loud can fan that is not duct than you got some future issues hahahaha