Eventbrite Is Pulling Some Cannabis Events From Its Site, Leaving Organizers Frustrated

Anyone been affected by this? I know the @thegrowoff folks are using Eventbrite for their events.

3 Likes

Seems odd doesn’t it? I worked at a cannabis legalizing clinic in Canada that used Eventbrite for all of their events. Why now when it’s getting closer to full legalization?

4 Likes

It seems to be haphazard a lot of the time. We use Mailchimp, but Mailchimp has cancelled accounts of businesses who are affiliated with the cannabis industry. So far they’ve left us alone, but we made sure to have a backup plan in case they do drop us.

4 Likes

I’m guessing because of the same issues that any social movement brings – the reaction. Closer we get to legalization = more critical examinations.

3 Likes

The way that Eventbrite is handling everything is, as one said, “arbitrary” to say the least! When they cut some for going “over the line” in advertising yet allowing others to have things, such as the “free dabs” in D.C. thing, well, that’s even more than being just "arbitrary "! It’s time to look for Eventbrite substitutes!

1 Like

Yes, Hunter, I agree 100%! There seems to be much more complexities as we are “resting” in legalization . This reminds me of a quote from Mark Twain, “Even if you’re on the right track you can get run over if you’re not going fast enough”! I guess to “rest” after legalization is not realistic, we actually will have to keep the pace… Thank you for your post.

3 Likes

Is it possible there are legit reasons they do this?

There have been a multiple occasions that we’ve gone to local Eventbrite events here in Los Angeles that have been either shutdown or completely raided. I always ask the LEO and generally it’s for lack of proper permits. Not exactly a great experience for someone attending the event, waste of time and $.

3 Likes

I’d say high times and the way they run their “cannabis cups” probably caused a lot of problems. Their Las Vegas event being prime example… very poor organization/planning and when they didn’t deliver as advertised we had to threaten to sue them to get refunds. Have heard this has happened to several of their events.

1 Like