First outdoor grow!

Hi everyone working on my first solo outdoor grow I would everyone to join in say hi give some advice or criticism as long as it’s constructive I would appreciate it l! Hope everyone is have g a good day getting some good weather or nice consistency indoors! So I’ll start real fast I have 6 plants all from seed in 15 gal pots. Got a kinda makeshift scrog with some t post and welded wire fencing. Soil is is ocean forest mostly some happy frog some mixed. I just started using dyna gro pro tek is like a silica, and their grow. In the beginning of the month I used a bottle of been oil I was planing on doing that again before I start seeing the flower flip. I have a few questions about outdoor. I’m in a very hot area right now and pretty dry usually around 10% humidity and averaging 90 degrees ranging from 70* nights and 80*-100* mid day. I put up a makeshift sun screen witch keeps about 6-8 degree difference from outside to my canopy. Anyways would I benefit of attempting to rise humidity with a humidifier or misters maybe? I’m not sure maybe under the plants to avoid the leaves burning from water droplets? Also would I benefit from running a sm fan or two like under the canopy to lower the temp? I’m not too worried about mold I have good air flow it would be to lower temp during hot spells. I’d imagine fans would dry out even more. I’m Green to V.P.D. Still trying to do some research. But I’d love to join the crew and hear what y’all have to say. I’m smoking some nice gdp today what about yall? Have a good day everyone stay safe

4 Likes

12 Likes

@wow_arizona this is right in your wheelhouse!

4 Likes

That counts me out. :rofl:

@happilyretired @defnsmokn Might either of you be able to provide some input for growing in the kind of environment?

5 Likes

Hey @jaboards , thanks for sharing your outdoor grow. 11% humidity on your picture, hot and dry as hell in your place.

Anyways would I benefit of attempting to rise humidity with a humidifier or misters maybe? You most certainly would. You could consider putting trays under your pots to catch excess water flow and let the roots draw up water naturally. This would help your plants regulating their own requirements, while adding moisture to your greenhouse". I think misters would be a great addition.

I’m not sure maybe under the plants to avoid the leaves burning from water droplets?
You not using lights, so you dont have to worry about burning.

Also would I benefit from running a sm fan or two like under the canopy to lower the temp? Some good air circulation under the canopy would be a great addition to. You have already cleaned them up underneath, so the basic concept would be to place the fan in an area drawing cool air in under the canopy of plants.

I’m not too worried about mold I have good air flow it would be to lower temp during hot spells. You have nothing to worry about mold at this point.

3 Likes

Get some Krylon fusion paint, it binds well to plastic and paint the outside of your pots white. It will reduce the surface temperature by a good 20° or more.

I run a little rain system over the top of mine, using home irrigation pieces that I have on the timer.

6 Likes

My summer weather ranges between 90 and 110° My humidity during the day ranges from 15 to 25 and then gets up around 60 at night. I don’t have any heat problems or moisture problems. I flood irrigation and I mean flood yes each plant gets 3 to 5 gallons every other day. Feed heavy once a week. My plants not seem to mind the hot dry climate so much but it does invite a lot of pests.

4 Likes

As long as the roots are kept cool the Plants will thrive.

5 Likes

Morning guys thank you so much I didn’t expect such a great response this year is goi g to be great!! @chrisj i really appreciate you taking your time and sharing your knowledge thank you very much. Also everyone else @happilyretired @wow_arizona i notice humidity went up to about 30 ish last night. And it’s reading that now at 1130.the sun hasn’t got yet I don’t think I mentioned I am on the side of the house and only get about a half days worth of sun but is second half and it hits pretty good. “Work with what u got.” So I do have trays for my pots just the clear cheep ones for now but I was filling those and misting top soil in morning’s I might get back to that. But lately I’ve been completely soaking the dirt area around the plants morning and night to help humidity. I’ve used the paint pots idea before not sure why I didn’t go that route thanks for the reminder! I plan to go in ground next year so hopefully that will help. Thinking about trying a compost tea maybe some seaweed or kelp, molasses, worm castings and some compost maybe not positive yet. How do you guys feel about adding earthworms in the ground to containers? So I’m gonna work on a few things and will be showing progress soon. Thanks again have a good one and stay safe

5 Likes

Can’t help with how you fertilizing. I just use fertilizer don’t mess with the organic.

2 Likes

Hey everyone how’s it? Got a question for y’all I’ve been having what appears to be pest problems but not positive I haven’t really found any bugs with my naked eye. Seems to be one plant on the end right next to the air con unit. Not sure if related

1 Like

Here are a few things to consider, some repeats …

I’ll say again, buy Krylon Fusion Paint for plastic and paint the pots white. It is more expensive, but lasts more than a season and doesn’t flake off of the pot.

Instead of mister, may I suggest the actual ‘spinning sprinkler’ pieces made by rain bird and orbit. We use them, cut off of their spikes and mounted overhead on a timer to ‘make it rain’ several times a day.

Set watering on timers for multiple short watering periods per day. ALWAYS add a time right after sunset and adjust accordingly. Use watering rings, NOT single point drippers unless you triangulate them around the root base (at a minimum).

Add extra vermiculite to your FF OF mix.

If it will not cause water to do any damage to your foundation, letting them sit on the ground will help slow evap rate as the run-through will cool the ground around it.

We grow in the Tucson heat. Many do it other ways. I have several more little things that we do, if you are interested.

This photo was taken two days ago, August 6. The shade cloth was removed the day previous.

1 Like