First time DWC grow!

10/1/2020 starts the first day of the 12/12 switch from 18/6. I am currently running with one plant in 12 gallons and two 1000w quantum boards. Looking for any information, tips, things to watch for during the flowering stage as well as harvesting! This is my first EVER trail run, any and all information is helpful as I have some, but preferably not enough knowledge on say, what to look for when it comes down to knowing when the buds are ready to be harvested.

Looking for any and all input or information willing to be shared!

4 Likes

Hi @ziggyco

Welcome to GN. DWC is a beast and something I am aspiring to in a couple years. I think the most important thing about harvesting is the timing of your trichomes. You really just went to get 50-70% cloudy trichomes for your peak THC levels.

What are you feeding your plant? What strain are you growing?

2 Likes

I recieved the plant as a clone from a family member who got his/her strains mixed up. I will have to check back in with the original grower. As for nutrients I am running the foxfarm trio. Veg stage has gone amazingly smooth. I’m just a little nervous about harvesting at the proper time since I’m unsure of the strain. But I will make sure to keep a hawks eye on those tricomes. I am currently flushing before switching to the bloom nutrients.

2 Likes

Hey man! grats on getting a DWC going!

Most of the time, you wanna wait for the Trichomes to tell you when. instead of a scope, I used a free app on my I phone called Mag Glass. you can zoom in real close, and see them easily, so you can keep an eye on them for maturity. if you wait too long, and they get Amber colored, it has more of the CBD going on, and less THC, so be careful on what effect your going for.

Keep an eye out for signs of burning, flower stage nutrient intake might change a bit, and DWC set ups might be a bit sensitive to changes.

Other than that, it sounds like you are well on your way to a great Harvest!

-Growing is half the battle.

G.I. Grow

2 Likes

7 Likes

Awesome man thank you! That app will come in handy, if I can’t figure out how to use this camera property. I might be able to get some close up shots throughout the cycle. I am a little nervous about the transition but I am hoping that the nutrient switch will be smooth. The wisdom is much appreciated, helps calm the nerves’ some. Thanks for all the helpful feedback!

1 Like

Welcome @ziggyco
Plant goods good. Can’t tell for sure but looks like your girl is almost at top of your tent? With the flower stretch you might have an issue. Happened to me once.

I have about two feet left in the tent before I have no more space. Hopefully I’ll be alright:3

1 Like

of you use some micro organisms on that dwc, it will gove those roots a more white look… it will help clear away some of that yellow stuff and help the roots breath and expand to its fullest! just a tip in case u didn’t know… looks awesome tho… I use to keep my 2 mother plants i my dwc. they grew like alot alot!

1 Like

Congrats on your dwc setup @ziggyco. I’m a dwc grower also. Your going to have some height issues come your 3rd week of flower. I VEG my plants small cuz they always stretch in flower. You’ll always want to keep at least 2 feet between your light and the top of your canopy. You might want to pick up some Voodo Juice to add some beneficial microbes in your water. I’m a big fan of Advanced Nutrients and their lineup! They’re Sensizym product has beneficial enzymes in it to keep our roots nice and clean.

Yeah I’m currently stressing about the height, I think if I raise the light as high as possible it might just work. Is it a bad idea to train some of the branches back during flowering? Figure that might cause stress or disrupt in some way. I will order some Voodo Juice ASAP thanks for that! I had something else to ask but that slipped my mind!

1 Like

Yeah the growth rate with DWC is crazy. I left for a week and when I came back I wasn’t ready for how big it got.

1 Like

AH YES! How long is a normal flush about for DWC? It’s much quicker I heard than soil. 5-6 days?

2 Likes

i dont believe in flushing my plants… but im sure me saying this will have alot of haters on my ass. but, from my studies from all the current studies done this year… has proven that flushing isn’t necessary! instead of feeding your plant you starve it… results in less thc and terps. now if i would suggest you looking into it yourself and taking ur own conclusions.

Yes, it is alot quicker in dwc to flush your plants. I’m right there at 5-7 days depending on how soon I need my flower tent @ziggyco. You can definitely train those branches during flower in my opinion. I train my ladies hard during flower and haven’t had any problems yet.

1 Like

Looks like my lady is either GG4-Jack Herer or Zkittles. I think I ran into early early stages of root rot, not 100% sure but I went ahead and picked up some Hydro Guard just to be safe. The first round did a huge blast to the browning of the roots from the nutrients. Caught whatever it was soon enough :smiley: . Now I am running into the issue of humidity I think. The walls have condensation in the AM, I might have to pick up a small dehumidifier.

1 Like

It is normal to get some nutrient buildup on our roots that will coat them with a brown tinge. But you don’t want to see your roots mushy and soft. Keep your h20 temps around 68f and lots of air to your roots and you won’t ever have an issue with root rot. I run Voodoo Juice most of my grow to keep some beneficial bacteria in my reservoir. I also use Sensizym which has beneficial enzymes in it to break down any buildup in my rootzone.
Condensation on the inside of your tent is not good! You need to increase your nighttime temps and kick up your extraction fan to pull that extra moisture out. That can cause you some serious problems with powdery mildew in Veg, or bud root in flower.

1 Like

Thinking it is because I have the heater set for auto so it shuts off at around 69 Degrees then kicks on when it’s cooling down again. If I let it run all night I don’t think I will have the condensation issue anymore. Only a few more weeks away!!!

1 Like

4 Likes