First time Grow

Good afternoon everyone!

Newbie over here starting my first grow ever. I have attached a picture because I’m unsure if the plant is stretching or if this is a normal look. Please let me know!

6 Likes

Welcome and happy grows! To me those are stretching quite a bit and can risk toppling. That light might be too “reddish” (my little lady loved it when I added a 6400K T5 bulb…very “blue-ish”…I use household 5000K “daylight” CFL or LED bulbs too at this stage) or the lights are too far (do you have anything above them or just the one in the back that’s pictured?). When you transplant just bury the majority of that stem to support it.

Also, try not to wet those leaves (unless it’s a foliar spray), the light can use the water beads as magnifying glasses and scorch the cotyledons.

7 Likes

Very glad your here! Welcome welcome welcome!

3 Likes

Thank you for the information. Spray no bueno. Got it. It’s definitely not the most efficient light. Just bought a medium sized light that has 5 branched lights. It’s not possible with this light to adjust color spectrum, just brightness. I can lower the light to be closer to the plants if you think that would help. Currently I have 3 of the 5 lights on.

2 Likes

Thank you :smiley::smiley::smiley:

1 Like

Yeah looking a little stretchy but not a huge deal. Basically what @jaxsonl5 said bury it deeper when you re-pot.

What strain ya got going there?

3 Likes

So since I don’t think that light will take you all the way thru flowering all that well, let’s talk about a new light. Your plants will be happier with a better spectrum of light :+1:t4: What kind of budget range are we looking at? First light I used was a spider farmer at about $160. Got a bigger one that’s like $300. I’m still gonna upgrade at some point but this light works pretty good in my 2 x 4 tent.

4 Likes

The 2 strains I have growing are LSD and White Widow. And budget for a light would probably be between $100 and $200. And yeah the more I look at the light the more I think it’s gunna be to small. Not enough light.

3 Likes

my first grow room had shop lights and anything else that would take a light bulb. do what you can with what you have.

3 Likes

Top notch advice. I’ll keep that in mind for sure.

3 Likes

I spent $50 on my Bloomspect SL600 and can tell you I wish I was more patient and saved the extra $100 for a MarsHydro or Spyder like @Maz said (I had the time to be patient, just not the patience for it :crazy_face:). The extra intensity from a better light would be well worth it for flower (I can already tell and i’m only two weeks into my first grow).

But yes, top notch advice is what @pptrsha1 (and a slew of others) brings here, and I agree. I’ve seen journals on the web of peeps using household CFL bulbs and getting solid results…sacrifice some yield and likely potency, but who cares when you’re having fun and working with what you can!

But def move the light closer (6-8” above the leaves)…just put your hand under it at about 6” away for 30 seconds and see if your hand gets too warm…if so, prolly too warm for your babies. Adjust as needed.

3 Likes

Yeah lmao $50 is about what I paid as well. But just like you I’m wishing I made the patient choice lol oh well in due time right? But I made the adjustments and turned the brightness up one notch. See how the do. I tested with the hand method you suggested and no heat to worry about.

1 Like