Flushing and darkness before harvest findly answered

there has alway been a debate on Flushing before harvest and darkness before harvest – have read man. many articles on this. interesting fact here that the “farns” on CannaCribs never mention flushing or darkness before harvest. _ Maybe CannaCribs findly answer this debate !!!

5 Likes

Hi Hawkman, the one thing I’ve learned here and elsewhere is that every cannabis phase is different for everybody. Everybody has their own way with germinating seeds, growing seedlings, transplanting seedlings, nutrients, watering, timing, trichomes, flushing, darkness, trimming, washing buds, drying and curing. LOL … I read and watch videos til I’m blue in the face and then I have to make decisions on what works for me. I’ve made mistakes, but I’m learning and still have so much to learn. I’d like to see what CannaCribs says about this, too.

p.s. I flushed for a day or two; darkness for a day or two, wet trimmed, bud washing and hung dry …

7 Likes

Yea !! how right you are _ each cultivator has their own method of growing- and who’s to say if that’s rightnor wrong - myself I like to flush 3-4 days or so , no dark time because of the differenat strains growing

4 Likes

I’m in a greenhouse so darkness before harvest isn’t practical for over a day, so I just do my cuttings about 3-4 hours before sun comes up, that’s what’s gonna give the best terps to harvest with. Doing the feedings with compost teas we have 3 recipes, a veg, flower, and finishing. Finishing recipe gets started halfway through flower up until the last 2 weeks which is just plain ole water. When it comes to flushing that isn’t something that’s important to do with organic natural gardening but flushing is an absolute must when it comes to feeding with bottle nutes and getting out the excess salt buildups. Def different strokes for different folks based on their methods

7 Likes

The flushing is a attempt to stop nutrients being present particularly Nitrogen this is to stop chlorophyll (what makes it green) production as it taste :face_vomiting:.also Same with the extra dark hours only logical reasoning is for reducing chlorophyll production. It’s also the reason why we dey for long periods it is to get rid of the chlorophyll now if you add phosphorus after a flush then the natural colours will start to appear awesome enjoy

3 Likes

Thanks for you information - have heard that harvesting/ cutting it off stalk the plant before the light go on , stops the plant from up-taking ? thoughts simple and easy 3 teas geat info !!! myself use a veg and bloom tea and they flush with fish hydrate

2 Likes

never have used phosphours after flush does this affect final taste ? good info also --Peace

1 Like

I flush with plain water for a week or more in coco at the end, imo you get less of a “green” taste, and that makes curing shorter and easier. Again this is just my opinion.

5 Likes

I dont agree with flushing. The only thing I do is give the ladies 1/2 feed on the final week, but that’s just because they don’t need the extra. But i do 24 hours of darkness with no water before harvest.

5 Likes

basicly what we are talking about is “stressing” a plant to increase terpene’s, ect ***** sending a signal to the plant that’s it’s going to die - so it pushes itself for selfpreservation WoW !! Leting the plant to dry before harvest - I agree and do (generally figure at least 3 day to 5 day for drying ) this changes due to the amounts of water one was using beforing drying the plant and strain also

2 Likes

I brought the 2 Indicas in garage 4 days ago. Weather changed to rainy/colder. Flushed just before that. Wet trimmed and waiting for workmen in house past 2 days to finish up and then cut n hang, which offers wonderful aromas throughout house!

3 Likes

sounds like “mission complete” now the waite ! (glad things went smooth for you _Peace)

2 Likes

Hey guys my name is Jesse and I’m new to this site. I’m having a hard time navigating or getting any of my questions answered. Im really hoping for some help and ideas on flushing. So I grow in coco using the basic Ventana nutrient lineup. I am day 43 of flower. The top colas of my plants are riping alot faster than the bottom. It’s cause my tent is packed full of plants so the canopy is thick and not alot of light penetrates. I do have lighting under the canopy from below but they are still maturing slower. So my question to you is harvesting in sections like that ok to do. Top the an caps and let the bottom go a week or two more.if I go about this method how would I flush so the first cut off the tops is not loaded with nutes? Flush the plant a week, cut the tops, then immediately start feeding again ? Please any and all advice would help

1 Like

Hi Jesse, I had to go and see what you’ve posted so far before I could reply blindly. So, you’ve replied to 3-4 people and I see that they have replied to you between early February and today. @TheMadFlascher was the most helpful with his suggestions on where you should start. I’m sorta a newbie. I’ve been here one year and had one grow so far with a LOT of help from some great people here.

You really need to start a journal of your own. I can’t remember how. I’ll try to see what the steps are. I started with asking a question in a brand new thread. Got some great answers and then when I finally jumped into a grow, I started another brand new threat that became my journal. That is where I post MOST of my questions, on my journal.

Another suggestion given to you and also to me when I was new, was to tag people. Read, read, read and then read more. Reply to people, give kudos on their grows, ask them about their grows, but don’t start a new convo on another person’s grow journal unless you know it’s okay with the owner of that thread.

Again, read. If you read, you’ll start recognizing the top tier folks here who can be very instrumental in helping you. They want to help but you have to ask by tagging. I hate tagging b/c I always think I’m bothering people, but I make myself tag at least half the time I post, especially if I’m asking a question. If you don’t tag, people won’t see your post unless by accident, if that makes any sense.

As for flushing, everybody is different. Some do, some don’t, some do it this way, some do it that way. I flushed for my first grow. I stopped feeding about 1-2 weeks before I chopped/harvested and then only watered. I’m wondering if you should maybe defoliate a bit. Do you have pictures? People here want pictures. We can’t tell you what to do without seeing your plants, where they are, how they are getting light, etc. You have a good description but we need pics. :slight_smile:

Yes! You can harvest in sections. As usual, some do, some don’t. All that jazz. But if the top of your colas are ready and the bottoms aren’t , you can harvest the top and give the lower colas/branches the light they need. Again, tho, check with your need to defoliate. Not sure what the answer to flushing when harvesting in sections, but great question.

First things first, go start your own journal. Get to know people. Read their journals. Tag them. They are here to help, but need to be tagged. If they don’t know the answers, they know who to tag for your issue. Go start a journal. :slight_smile: You’ve got this!

2 Likes

My experience supports what @1sttimegrower is saying. There is a lot of information out there with even more caveats. In my opinion, with soil( is all the experience I have) its all personally preference even down to weird light cycles and adding nutrients. Some people don’t use nutrients at all rather they add organic material to supply the nutrients. It’s just a lot out there and I’m guessing the information will continue to get more bloated and repetitive as we go along.

3 Likes

many cultivators do as you explained harvest the “ripe” branches and then wait till the remaing buds are ripe to pick and take down the plant. As for feeding I don’t like to flush for two weeks with out some type of nutrient use. have done two weesk before just with water and at the end of two weeks the plants look some what “starved” so to say . So now I use “fish Shit”(fish shiit.com) during flush it adds microbes and help up-take of remaing nutrients. I don’t use flushing agents . Consider conserning the flush is to start cutting down nutrient use at week in late flower, if growing organicly sometimes a flush isn’t needed ot flush for 1 week Hope this helps ! Happy harvest!!! ---- as for darkness before harvest well thats another debated subject. I find that dimming light to 50-75% in late flower increased trichomes — with 100% light intensity can decrease trichomes due to heat

3 Likes