For how long should we run UV light?

There exists some debate in this matter: if UV light/filtration has fungicidal or anti pathogenic properties, would it not stand to reason that the light should stay illuminated all the time during the photoperiod? Let’s discuss!

6 Likes

I would assume for most sanitary means of the stomata.

4 Likes

It doesn’t work (UV to kill bugs). Enough said lol.
Even with direct full sun for 12hrs a day beating right on the mold did nothing when I tried it.

If you don’t want to see or deal with mold again, take preventative action and beat it systemically.
In addition, Downey Mildew attacks under the leaves and White Powdery Mildew can hide on stems and areas where UV can’t get to it and will outbreak after you think it’s gone.
We can talk about how and what to use systemically on another topic or bump older post.

I use UV when the lights are on but not for bugs.
Also, it also depends what type of UV, along with intensity, distance, and type of UV spectrum used.
K

3 Likes

I run it the whole “on” period. some testing shows the benefit of starting the UV 15 minutes before plants wake. and run then for 15 minutes after lights out.

but what do i know

5 Likes

I also run during the whole on period. Have you ever experienced any problems with doing this?

2 Likes

none at all

:astonished:

4 Likes

Me either. I have heard that regular UV exposure can degrade the DNA of the plants, but after 10 years of UV light use, I have experienced none. There’s not enough research to empirically support our findings, – yet – but if enough growers report similar plant response, it becomes much harder to deny the efficacy of UV light.

Thanks, @MK3_Pharms :evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Its naturally occuring through our suns exsposure already. I think we could see issues based on how much. for a better measurement lets say how many watts of UV are you exsposing. in my 8x4 area i typically use 13w tube every 2.5 feet. Also note i use a light mover most of the time. I attach two 15w UV reptile lights to what ever grow light fixture im using. i will need to rig this up for my Gavita. so i will tag you when ever i get to that. if i even do… super busy. have electric dudes here adding some new breakers and wiring.

3 Likes

Hey everyone, the problem is you’re blasting the UV light on the plants and other surfaces, while the fungal spores and pathogens that can harm your crop are floating in the air stream. We have developed a method to bring the air stream to the UV, completely eradicating the spores and pathogens, without exposing the plants and other carbon based life forms to the UV! As an example, we can disinfect 42,000 cubic feet of air within a given space, in less than 1 hour. If you want to know more, feel free to contact me.

3 Likes

PowerTrakGrow lights come equip with UV. Our X7 can control UVB increments via Smartphone app. X5 spectrum can be customized per order (this includes UVB).

The beautiful thing about our X7 is that you control how often UV runs. Create a “light recipe™️” and apply it up to 50 lights.

2 Likes

Ok UV for Fungi is not the answer, but first lets talk about manufacture recommendations for UV. The Lamp should be changed once a year along with cleaning the Quartz Sleeve. I always recommend having an extra sleeve on hand in case you crack or chip it. The manufacture will state once the lamp is turned on, it needs to stay on until the next year until the next lamp change. In most cases the is pretty wasteful of electric.

We carry a UV the will bring the intensity down 70% when flow rates are not being picked up.

US Water Systems Pulsar UV

UV isn’t the only option for bacteria control, there are other alternatives with filters.

US Water Systems Disruptor
US Water Quantum Disinfection

Each will serve a better log reduction under different application, and they all will need some type of pretreatmeant.

2 Likes

you can get UV diodes. or t5 bulbs. i just use the tubes cheaper and easier to switch out

2 Likes

I know that I’m new to the community, but you will all get to know us better soon.
APR-BioScience has developed the solution for removing the threat of fungus, powdery mildew and mold on Cannabis, and all indoor agriculture, that you have been waiting for…CADS & Cannabis APR-BioScience March 2019.pdf (213.4 KB)

5 Likes

Same here UV always has my back.

3 Likes

For how long have you incorporated UV into your lighting array? What UV lights do you like?

3 Likes

I guess I need to understand are you talking UV-A, UV-B or UV-C?
We use UV-C light as part of our sanitation process - the UV-C filters/lights are used in the HVAC system and help keep mould and pathogens to a minimal.

We are looking at playing with some UVA/UVB combo supplemental lighting but nothing so far and no data or results.

• Ultraviolet A (UVA) is from 320-400nm and comprises about 3% of the photons in natural sunlight that make it through Earth’s atmosphere. UVA lights for plants do not damage DNA.

• Ultraviolet B (UVB) is from 290-320nm and makes up less than 0.15% – less than 1/5th of 1% – of total natural sunlight. UVB light is energetic enough to cause damage to DNA, including inducing cancer in animals. Luckily for us, the Earth’s ozone layer blocks almost all of the sun’s UVB light.

• Ultraviolet C (UVC) is from 100-290nm and is almost completely filtered out by Earth’s atmosphere, so is not a component of natural sunlight. UVC light is energetic enough that it is used for sterilization purposes-- it kills living cells.

6 Likes

I was literally about to post the same question with regards to UVC. I haven’t read too much about UVB or UVA with regards to “fungicidal or anti-pathogenic properties”. That is mostly within the UVC spectrum. But truth be told, we have not aggressively pursued this specific angle in our research.

But if you ARE running your supplemental UV sources [queue the infomercial theme music and cheesy voice over guy] …that is even more reason to invest in your own health and safety, by protecting yourself with RayWear. RayWear’s patent pending fabric and design were created specifically to protect growers from the complete light radiation spectrum that all modern cultivators experience daily…pssst…that includes UV, Visible and IR. So light radiation exposure got you down…well turn that frown upside down with RayWear.
RAYWEAR CLOTHING COMPANY…growing is your passion, protecting you is ours!
[cut to a happy grower, rocking his RayWear gear, giving a big THUMBS UP]…end infomercial
image000009

5 Likes

Give me your thoughts on our iBDP_Beyond_ActivePure_Technology-WhitePaper.pdf (94.5 KB)

Terryinduct5000_spec.pdf (516.9 KB)

3 Likes

If it’s mold or your bugs your fighting, lights is not how you fix it. Lol.
Kyle M

3 Likes

I agree! I think growers should approach UV light solely as a preventative measure against molds/mildews. Outbreak status requires more advanced measures! Great point, @FarmerK! Lights will not fix your mites!

There are some LP’s using UV light as a preventative during drying, curing and storage since these are times the buds are most susceptible to molds and mildews.

3 Likes