For those who self sustain

You guys are awesome to share your knowledge and experiences with complete strangers, all for the common good. Searching for the never ending buzz.

For all of you hobbyist growers…

How many successful grows have you had? Do you keep track of that number?

How long have you been able to sustain yourself?

I’ve been doin it for a few years now with very satisfying results. And its because of bit of help and suggestions from those around here. Thanks Guys!

How about you? How goes it for you?

8 Likes

This year is my first to try to self sustain. I have 17 plants, 15 in flower. In October I will start to harvest. I should be able to do it again next year. I plan on keeping that up forever.

4 Likes

is it legal there?

If you put a tent inside, you can grow several “rounds” in a single year, like 3 plus your outside garden. 2 tents and double that.

2 Likes

I picked back up growing again last year @atodd. I decided to grow in a dwc setup and love the choice. I popped some GDP seeds July 4th last year. It was a good grow but I had to dial my nutes and flush in on my next grow. My buds were a little harsh. I grew some white widow and chronic widow on my next grow. Then northern lights that I cloned and got 2 harvest on. Then this spring I started my CBDurban and white SuperSkunk. I cloned my CBDurban and am flowering those right now plus some Maui Wowie.
My first grow I got around 7 oz. 9 the 2nd, then 7.5 the 3rd, then 11 oz when I threw my T5s in my tent. I pulled a little over 13 oz on my last grow. I’ve got better lights now and my system dialed in. Each grow gets better and better. I just feel fortunate to be successful with every dwc grow so far.
I could sustain myself by the end of the year if I wanted. But I live in an area where there’s dozens of dispensaries and Oregon is still flooded with flower so I’m always grabbing 5 or 6 grams of a few different strains on the cheap when I drive into town. Plus I use 1:1 lotion that relieves any aches I ever have. Thankfully Oregon didn’t go too wild with it’s taxes so I can get top shelf flower for $5 gram. B Bud oz for $80. Specials on oz of top shelf for $100-120.
It’s sad for the growers that tried to make a run in that market but it is going to start stabilizing soon. They say it already is…

2 Likes

Wow, DWC - I dig it. Being legal or not really affects local pricing. That why I’m a gardener.

2 Likes

6th season outdoors and 6 years totally sustained… and enough for friends…

7 Likes

That’s love you are sharing! Good for you!

2 Likes

Thank goodness its legal here. I can have 12 and hubby 12 also. Very cool. Will be taking my own meds by Nov.1st.

4 Likes

What an awesome situation. I think u hit the jackpot!

2 Likes

Yes I have. Also am remodeling a growing facility. We should be growing professionally in less than 30 days. That’s the real jackpot! Its an inside grow and ill be in the thick of it real soon! I’m so excited!

4 Likes

I started growing in 1996.

2 Likes

I’m just starting out. Been on the fence forever but it’s making sense during these times might as well grow my own bud especially since the house is the place to be right now.

3 Likes

Great, and I had a glitch on my phone when I was looking at a few pictures of what looks like black dots, so if this is you I think you have a EZ FIX JUST GET A SPRAY BOTTLE, HOME DEPOT HAS A FEW YOU CAN PICK FROM. I JUST GOT A HDX for 5 dollars and its the same design they got from one called The FLOW MASTER. YOU CAN PUT IN SOME NEUTRAL WATER FIRST AND THEN ADD 1 TSP OF 2% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE AND LAST ADD A 1.5 TSP OF DAWN SOAP, LAST ONE IS THE SPRAY BOTTLE IS SOAP. REASON WHY I DO IT IN THAT ORDER IS BECAUSE I THINK THAT YOU HAVE SOME FUNGI,MOLD, AND THE SMALL DARK DOTS ON THE BOTTOM OF YOUR LEAVES, YOU MAY HAVE SPIDER MITES. SO CHECK THE UNDER THE LEAVES AND USE A 30X OR MORE MAGNIFIER TO GET A GOOD LOOK AT THE GIRLS AND THEN JUST TAP THE LEAVES TO SEE MOVEMENT, IF SO JUST PUMP UP YOUR SPRAY BOTTLE AND SHAKE ,PUMP,AND BLAST THEM. THEN REPEAT IT AGAIN IN 3-4 DAYS JUST TO SEE YOU GOT IT TAKEN CARE TO. WHEN YOU TREAT THE GIRLS MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE GOING TO BE ABLE TO SPRAY THE UNDER THE LEAVES, IS A MUST. THEN I WOULD BRING THEM TO MY SHOWER AND USE THE TUB TO FIX YOUR PROBLEM AND SINCE YOU HAVE THE GIRLS IN THE SHOWER GIVE THEM A LEACHING/ FLUSH. WHEN I LEACH MY GIRLS IT’S GREAT FOR A BETTER YEILD AND YOU DON’T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE GIRLS GETTING TO MUCH SALT’S BUILD UP AND THAT IS NOT GOOD SO TO FIX IT JUST RUN 3X GALLONS OF WATER. OK SAMPLE I HAVE A 5GAL BUCKET. IM GOING TO RUN 15 GALLONS OF WATER ALL OVER THE BED OF YOUR POTS AND YOU WILL SEE THE WATER GO FROM A YELLOW/ LIGHT BROWN AND BY THE LAST 5GAL BUCKET OF WATER YOU RUN THEM THE LAST TIME SHOULD AND WILL BE MUCH LIGHTER IN COLOR. IF YOU HAVE A FEW METERS TAKE NOTES AND CHECK THE DTW=DRAIN TO WAIST RUN OFF IF YOU HAVE THE METERS. LET ME KNOW HOW THINGS COME OUT OR HAVE A QUESTION. ( DON’T LISTEN TO TOO MANY PEOPLE ON THE WAY THEY KNOW HOW TO GROW THEIR GIRLS, YOU DON’T EVEN KNOW WHAT HIS OR HER GIRLS LOOK LIKE. AFTER YOU FIX YOUR PROBLEM HO GET SOME ESSENTIAL PEPPERMINT OIL AND PUT IT ON THE FOUR CORNERS IN A SMALL BOWL OR ANYTHING THAT CAN HOLD A BALL OF COTTON WITH THE OIL ON IT ALMOST ENOUGH TO SEE A FEW DROPS FALL INTO THE LID/BOWL. NO MORE PEST TO WORRY ABOUT AND THE H2O2 WILL FIX YOUR MILDEW, MOLS,AND FUNGUS

4 Likes

Sorry all the capitals hurt my brain…and make the words swim…

5 Likes

Started growing 1-2 plants in the 70’s. Then had kids, so no growing. They are now adults. I had some health issues with medication… my son was in med school , did a patient review on me. Professor had him stay after to talk with him about me… asked "Has your Mom ever used "Cannibas " to help? My son, "NO Not my Mom "!! :rofl::rofl:
Hooked me up with a Dr who taught me , how to grow, make extractions, everything about the plant, laws… everything! So in 2011 I started growing legal. I also have taught and given to many along the way. Share the knowledge. I grow inside in winter, outside in summer. Self sustain myself and many others.
My son is now in anesthesiology.
Love this💚

8 Likes

Great story @bobette

4 Likes

It’s also therapeutic to work the garden. And its kinda fun. Best of luck to you.

4 Likes

Peppermint oil? Interesting

1 Like

@bryankp Who and what pictures are you referring to?

Hi @atodd

Interesting questions and realised yesterday I am getting below the low mark! Yikes. I have grown every year for the past few decades for self reliance. For several years during 2002-2006 I had a deal with my housemate of a max of 8 plants in our small garden, 4 neigbours peering right in. But lots of years that were not successful.

Lately with more space I grow for my own use and my partners. I am not to sure what that amount is, but its alot. I really have never counted, how many grows. We grow throughout the season and always have a plant or two even in the winter months. Pick here and there, dry, cure and smoke.

Last season we flowered about 30 fairly nice sized females during our summer grow season. Each plant was atleast between 200 -500 grams of decent bud.

One way I like preserving seasons weed is by making bubble hash. You can use the trim and popcorn buds to make different grades of hash which can be stored in small spaces for long times.

We also use the decent trim and sometimes flower for making edibles during the course of the year.

5 Likes