Found seeds in harvest

So I found about 6 seeds in about 1/4 oz of my recent harvest. My question is should I finish what I have in veg and flower then disinfect and meanwhile build a intake filtration system? My reason being is they both share the same room and so the flower tent will have pollen in it now?

3 Likes

The window is always open for fresh air but I have both carbon intake and exhaust filters in the tent.

2 Likes

Cheers enjoy them!!!

No they cant both share pollen? same room how? If you have carbon exhaust filters in both tents in the same room?

Sorry im confused a little can you clarify?

Any pics?
I have 3 tents. one has a small veg area built on.
My bloom tent has 2 carbon filters on the inside and up to a y connection. The small add on tent vents into the big veg tent area. Then a carbon filter and then up to the y connection from the bloom tent and then outside.

I would finish the bloom/flower and the just disinfectant the bloom tent before switching if your paranoid. I just wiped the walls down and took out the flood tray floor pan skirt thingy. And washed it good and then reset the tent!

1 Like

Are you sure you have a male plant around?? I had a tough grow last time and really stressed 1 of my plants so bad it turned into a hermaphrodite. I got about 30 seeds out those zips from that plant. So if you find seeds in your buds, it doesn’t always mean they were exposed to pollen. I hope that helps you out a little.

1 Like

Amazon has these great intake filters! I have them on all my tents intakes and exhausts.

Pollen usually only stays viable about 72 hours

In fact due to poor breeding practices. A lot of current strains self pollenate. Or hermaphadite if you prefer. Not always a bad thing. But defiantly sloppy breeding somewhere along the line. Once you have Hermie in your genes its pretty much there forever.
You can also stress a female plant to force pollen. There are also a few other ways. One is to drop temps very low

Not all plants that self pollinate are Hermie’s however. Sometimes its a happy accident. And in my recent grow. I threw away 12/plants all seeded. Because I couldn’t identity the donor. I trashed them all. That’s was done out of obligation to provide the best genetics possible

1 Like

I thought I read something about that in the past. So even a healthy plant can’t self pollinate if it’s in its dna?

1 Like

If its in the DNA there is a good chance of it showing. Also the things you do can bring it out. Many factors there. If you have a contaminated line chances are it is permanent. And will present every time. If you inspect your plants daily you might find a banana or pollen sacs. Those are the differences between self pollinators and hermies. You have to do extreme searchs daily if you suspect one of those traits.
IMHO I would ditch that line and move on.

Potentially you could back cross with fresh genes from a different source. Its possible to rewrite the genetic code.

One thing I always do. When breeding a line I want to keep working. I will always have a set of master genes as well as saving each step along the fillial line. Just in case something from say f3 presents that wasn’t in f2.

1 Like

But yes any plant with or without those traits potentially can stress to pollen. That’s also where I crack up with people saying “clone only strain” lol gtfo how do you think the clone came into existence. There are actually quite a few ways to get a cannabis plant to force pollen

Thanks for all the great info! I read everything but don’t always respond.

1 Like

I have my veg set up in my 8x3 closet and the 4x4 tent about 5’ away. It’s all in a 14x11 spare room. I was thinking if I did get pollen in the room then the veg would get effected too unless I was to give them a folier spray? I have the two carbon filters on the tent and just a aftermarket cold air intake type filter on veg for the exhaust filter. What pics you want? I’d have to to a video to go around the room of what’s happening lol

This strain has only produced flowers from what I’ve seen and all examples have been from the same mother. Could interruptions in the dark period stress it to much? There has been a few times I left the intake screen at the bottom of the tent open and the light from veg has leaked in slightly.

1 Like

If you have that kind of set up. The tent that isn’t breeding should be sprayed with water pretty much daily. Pollen won’t like water sprayed on it

Potentially yes