Fresh Oil Made With Olive Oil and Butter Base

3 Likes

Looking good, @turnernathaniel! For how long do you let that steep? Do you heat to decarb?

4 Likes

Well, I used to just throw everything in without decarbing, and I’m wondering if decarbing may not be the best thing for certain recipes, but yes to other recipes. I’d like to narrow down the science on decarbing. Last night I used decarboxylated herbs, I noticed it comes out darker, after the steep. I started off with 3/4 ounce herbs, 1 stick of butter, all the other usuals, double boil, I like using jars. Of course it’s not enough butter, but the weed seems to want to dive into the butter, such a lack of moisture. Then I dump 16 ounces of olive oil and then more weed, the same amount, cracked black pepper, enough so that you can see it on and just below the surface, and I use a wooden stick to stir. The butter was cooked (double boiled) for 2 1/2 hours, then added the additional weed and olive oil, 7 hours, I’m aiming for the cbn cannabinoid, this helps with the control of my blood pressure. With the butter in the oil I find it best to refrigerate, I noticed a slight gamey flavor and smell after being stored in the cabinet for few hours, so I put it in the fridge and it snapped back to quality, smells clean and the flavor, I take spoon doses; the flavors seem to take this path going down, you can taste the flavors in the back of your nose and throat, I find it gripping and I have to take pause and allow my senses to completely indulge the experience. I don’t know if it’s the black peppercorn, but applying the oil to sore spots seems to absorb more quickly and the pains subsided instantly, compared to when not using the peppercorn. This is my own personal experience, I’m not saying what is or isn’t, it’s this whole experience that’s transformed me. I see the importance of growing your own medicine.

5 Likes

Decarb vs not decarbing, yes you can have different effects.

Here are some charts that can help you:

Boiling points
Cannabinoids:

CBG: 126°F
CBC: 220°F
THCa: 220°F
CBDa: 248°F
THC: 315°F
CBD: 356°F
CBN: 365°F
THCv: 428°F
Terpenes:

A-Pinene: 311°F
β-Caryophyllene: 320°F
β-Myrcene: 334°F
Citronellol: 437°F
Limonene: 349°F
Terpinolene: 365°F
Linalool: 388°F
Humulene: 388°F
Phytol: 399°F
Caryophyllene oxide: 495°F
(Source: Medium/MarijuanaBreak/Leafly)

~MacG

7 Likes

This here is so tight. Thank you for sharing this, as it’s also informative, and of course I save the info. Thank You.

4 Likes

After decarbing, try spritzing the cooled green material with about 2oz of Everclear. This will start breaking things down, plus you’ll ever-so-slightly moisten your herb, which will keep the dried greens from just locking up your oil/carrier fluid.

3 Likes

Here are some related informative links for you.

~MacG

6 Likes

Cool. Thank You.

2 Likes

Great articles! I need to remember to calculate in the mass loss when dosing edibles. A few percentage points can mean an extra 40++mg of cannabinoids, depending on strain.

5 Likes

I always use about an ounce of material and really, really low heat over a long period of time, this givese me what I need.

2 Likes

If you had a fractional distillation column… you could pull all that at once as you ran the column…lol… but to come back to earth… that chart is phenomenal and makes so much sense to some of things I already knew…lol… the rest are still just stoner thoughts…lol…

2 Likes