Get to know the community - Henry Piecura

In this second interview with a community member (find the first one here) we get to know Henry Piecura, who goes by the handle @espx on the community.

Tell us a bit about yourself

Well I grew up in Detroit, Michigan and moved to Las Vegas in 1980 and have mainly lived there since. I first smoked marijuana in high school in 1967, then sold it in the 70’s, mainly Mexican dirt weed, but sometimes Acapulco gold, Jamaican weed and Cali Colombian gold. They were mostly females with no seeds. I’ve been in food & beverage management in ownership and executive positions up until 2013.

How did you get your start in the industry?

In 2006 I had friends in Humbolt, CA who were growing. They invited me up for a crash course, the knowledge of which I took back to Vegas. I’ve been growing ever since. The reason I got involved with growing marijuana is because I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma in 2006. I decided to learn about and grow marijuana to battle this health problem.

What can you tell us about your grow operation and your oil infusions?

I have grown hydroponically and in soils, and I prefer hydro. I have grown approximately 40 different strains and up to 400 plants at one time.

My veg rooms have T5 lights and my flower room has HP sodium 1000W and 600W intermittently (alternating between 600W and 1000W, with digital ballasts).

I infuse coconut oil, olive oil, butter, and shea butter for topicals. I use 3 ounces of trim for 1 lb of butter or 16 ounces of oil. I make my edibles with oils which I also use topically for my own melanoma. I have also made Rick Simpson oil but am happier with the coconut oil.

What strains are you growing and how did you select those?

I mostly grow indicas because they provide me a relaxing sleep: OG Kush, pre 98 Bubba Kush, Gorilla Glue, Super Glue, Aurora Indica, Master Kush, Vanilla Kush and Blackberry Kush.

I also grow hybids like Blue Dream, Super Jack, Sour Jack, Chemdawg and Outer Space.

Who are your mentors and inspirations in the cannabis industry?

I have met so many growers and judged the High Times Cannabis cup in 1999 & 2000. There isn’t any one mentor I can point to.

What are your hobbies and interests to relax after work?

Of course I am passionate about marijuana but I like traveling, snow skiing, UFC and NFL football.

Thanks Henry. It was great getting to know you better! If any other community members are interested in participating in this interview series, please drop me a private message.

3 Likes

Thanks Henry @espx ! I enjoyed this interview. Great pictures. Your grow room looks very clean and organized. You mentioned your grow lights alternate from 600 to 1000 watt. What’s the reason for this? Im guessing you have a method behind it. Also I wanted to ask you about Kush strains since you’re obviously tuned in to them. Whats your favorites and why. I want to add to my kush strains (Candy Kush and Afghan Kush) and would like to hear your recommendations.

3 Likes

I alternate the lights so I can use less power yet still have some 1000 watts to bomb with intensity. I love bubba Kush both the pre98 bubba and the standard bubba. Love the deep dark green leafs and the tops are just awesome bulbs/tops. OG kush the original OG is very nice as wel,l really intense THC at 22% good cbd 's . .10-.20. Master Kush is good too but not as high yield as mentioned. experimenting with some hybrids Gorilla Glue, super glue, Girl Scout Cookie and platinum OG. They are looking awesome in veg.

3 Likes

Thanks @espx. I’m going to look for both Bubba’s and original OG seeds. I’ve heard master Kush was good but I really want to stick to high yielders at the moment. (Gotta recoup my investment). I’ve heard Gorilla Glue #4 is a top performer amongst the commercial growers.

2 Likes