GN Poll: Do you have an in-house breeding program?

@growopowners, @mastergrowers, @Caregivers, @GrowOpEmployees: do you breed your own cultivars? Do you have an in-house breeding program? Take the poll below and let us know:

• We breed our own plants
  • We do NOT breed

0 voters

4 Likes

only 25 percent bred in-house

5 Likes

Still pretty good at 25%!!! What are your favorite cultivars that you have bred?

3 Likes

yes pollen harvesting

6 Likes

Black and Blue is Blue Dream x Black Jack.
i have been line breeding BD since 2006 when i got clones from a friend in fort bragg.
the BJ was a gift of seeds from mr. nice in 2011 on a trip to B.C.
the male was BJ and now on F5, stable and will starte seed production this summer.
I have 3 thai stick lines from seed collected from family business in Thailand and a landrace ā€œmedicineā€ type from a shaman there.
i grow the following clones from DHN for flower sales: 4G, GG4, C. Tonic CBD, G.Jelly CBD and Platinum OG.
I grow a BB from seed that i obtained from DJ and D. Poison that is from Ed R. pre-87.
Iā€™m still underground and will conduct business on Strainly this summer

5 Likes

What traits are you most commonly selecting for?

4 Likes

I look for vigor, growth, bouquet and pest and disease resistance

3 Likes

Would branching and removal of subtending bracts from the flowers be characteristics that are of interest?

4 Likes

maintaining true line traites for Thai types - vigor, terpenes and THC levels.
looking at terpene profiles of the other types to try and understand their chemotype.
I am not currently concerned with yield, but looking for uniqueness.

3 Likes

I first, and rather accidentally, made seeds back in 1984. When I sprouted my first seeds I didnā€™t want to kill the males because they looked so healthy, and I thought they would be useful for something, and they were useful teachers; they taught me how easy it is to pollinate your females with male plants. But I would not call that breeding, as I was literally just pollinating brothers and sisters together, but at the time I was growing Skunk No.1, but I did not know the brand name, I only knew that it smelled like dead skunks. But it turns out that Skunk 1, was a stable IBL, of course it would not find this out for number of years after meeting the breeder of Skunk No. 1 and becoming close friends.

Since then, I have been crossing plants and making my own creations for various reasons, most of the time it is because I am desiring more equatorial characteristics with a shorter flowering time. When I first stepped foot into Amsterdam in 1994, and experienced Haze for the first time, I was blown away. I had already been growing cannabis for 10 years and most of the cannabis that I grew was very heavy and sedative, but Haze was motivating and uplifting and was comparable more with a cup of coffee, than it was to taking a sedative. At that point I became a devotee to equatorial genetics.

Now with the Hemp farm bill passed, I decided to start selling some of my seeds and opening up my collection. My last greenhouse harvest was full of famous female clone-only cultivars crossed against a mostly Haze male that I made some years ago when I backcrossed a Nevilā€™s Haze female with an Original Haze male, thus reinforcing the Colombian genetics that are spice and unmistakably Hazy.

With legalization, cannabis will no longer be grown for the convenience of the cultivator, but instead for the cannabinoids and terpenes and pleasure of the end-user. O.G. Kush is a great example of a lower yielding, higher-value cultivar that was continued to be grown not because it had the biggest buds or the best yield, but because everybody liked to smoke it.

This weekend I am traveling to go see Mel Frank and I will be picking up his famous Durban Poison seeds, as well as some original Skunk No.1, that he produced from seeds that he got from Skunkman Sam. He and I are revising my catalog to include some of his offerings and will be available next week.

My current goal is to bring back a lot of the original varieties such as Original Haze, Afghan #1, Durban Poison, and Skunk No.1 as seeds with the help of the original breeders. These were the fundamental building blocks of our current catalog of cultivars, which in my opinion have not been improved upon but instead muddied up. I have been a judge in Cannabis Cups and various events going back to 1994, and unfortunately most all of the cannabis within California has extremely similar flowers that all finish flowering in under ten weeks.

There is an extreme lack of genetic diversity within the cannabis industry, and few people seem to realize it, because so many of the people in this new industry, have really no experience with cannabis.

Northern Broad Leaflet Drug (BLD) 90ā€™s Hash Plant and a Narrow Leaflet Drug (NLD) Original Haze.
(do not use my photo without my express permission)

5 Likes

Mel Franks Durban!! @todd.mccormick. Has this discussion with my nephews just last night, how ā€˜simpleā€™ the terpene profile in cannabis has become and what constitutes good flower now a days. I miss the old school sativas =/

2 Likes

I have them!No