Grafted cannabis plants?

Hey preybird1, thanks for the welcome. Tissue culture is my next mountain to climb. I tried to do it once and wound up with contaminated vials. My house does not lend itself to sterile work. I live in the redwoods so it’s always dark and has lots of mold spores floating around. There is an additive called PPM ( Plant Preservative Mixture) that helps kill pathogens in the mixture that I need to try next.

Here are some of my early grafting experiments. The tray was an early attempt to do cloning and grafting in one operation. I figured out that the rootstock needs at least one branch and some leaves so it will root. I cut the branch off after it roots and the scion takes.

districflora, I need to preserve these genetics as well. I would like to use tissue culture to preserve every old seed that I pop rather than just the ones I want to grow. These are too valuable to the whole community to just grow once and let them die. The guy who collected them was in the industry back in the day and saved the best he came across directly from the bales. I just need to get a legal farm up and running so I can do a responsible job of sorting the different varieties and preserving them. The corona cooties are putting the brakes on that for now but I’ll make it happen.

4 Likes

You should have healthy and vibrant plants before you try any grafting or splicing. Some of the pics I have seen in the past of people doing this where using sub par looking plants to begin with.

3 Likes

Yep healthy stock makes healthy crops. And seeds and everything about the plant.

2 Likes

I have an array of genetics that date from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. I have columbia. Gold light and dark that was a gift to a friend from the families in Columbia, I have gens a buddy gave me he brought back from vietnam, I even have the original Maui from the 70s which I have had tested numerous times. It usually comes out around 33% thc. Made a high times front cover one time, but I was too paranoid so my buddy did the pic stuff with them. They tried getting me to do a center fold bio interview,I freaked out and ran. Literally, ran to my truck and hauled ass while the one guy chased me yelling the laws are changing its ok don’t go. Hahahaha

2 Likes

Hahaha shit i would have ran also. You could go to prison!
How do you preserve your seeds? Are you freezing them?

1 Like

No, I do not freeze seeds. Hahaha you want dry, and cool. This may sound goofy, but I found that getting a good container like the little beed containers at the hobby store. Throw in some silica packs and stick it in your sock or under wear drawer. KISS method,always kiss method. Keep It Simple Stupid hahaha I live by it. Moisture is your enemy With seeds. I have some really old seeds from the 40s I have not started yet. I learned a lot in seed tech class years ago and it got me on the seed collecting kick and how to revive old and not properly stored seeds. How you start those is going to be so important!!!

3 Likes

Damn bullfrog that’s impressive. I wish I knew what varieties I have. I can guess which ones are Colombian or Mexican because of the taste but that’s about it. And the first Thai plant I popped seemed pretty obvious. An extremely fast growing, very narrow leafed light green beauty. Unfortunately it was a terrible hermy so I didn’t get any bud. But I’ll find better ones in my seeds.

33% thc is amazing. People write shit on the internet about all the old weed being nothing but shitty brick weed, but that’s not how I remember it. Even in small town Ohio we would get outstanding weed occasionally. And most of what we got was good commercial Colombian. Some of the best I ever had was Puna Budder in about 1979. Took me on an hour long trip that I’ll never forget. After the hour in an alternate reality, things started to look familiar again and I was left with a beautiful floaty high for a few hours. All of the old stuff was gone before the internet was around so most of what I read on it seems like BS.

I just started reading a book about the old marijuana trade in Colombia. It’s called “Marijuana Boom”. The author documents the trade from the beginning through the end pretty meticulously. Another good book I read was “Thai Stick”. A historian teamed up with a smuggler from the era teamed up and told the whole story of the Thai Stick trade from beginning to end. A great read that should be made into a movie.

I would be buying a farm this fall and growing out thousands of seeds but the corona cooties are fuckin that up. I have only grown out a handful and I’m amazed at the diversity I have found.

You’re lucky to have what you have. It’s an awesome link to a great time in history that only lasted for twenty years or so thanks to our dipshit government.

Which High Times issue was it?

1 Like

My seeds were stored in a plastic bag in a drawer for 40 years. I get about an 80% germination success rate.

1 Like

You are correct preybird. I still need to refine my process more. I learn more with every batch.

1 Like

Whats really crazy is where I live now We can not grow mj. We have a hemp license. So we are growing some high cbg gens. If those laws ever change I will have my bean collection from out west brought in immediately. Hahaha I do like a hemp gen We have tho called Jack Frost. My tests so far have been awesome. I actually feel relaxed, happy, and get these crazy goose bumps. It has no thc in it tho. Anyway, I do miss my grows out west.

Oh man,Puna Budder!!! I had seeds of that Hawaiian beauty one time. I so screwed up. One of my few grrr moments In Colorado I wish I could go back and redo. It was the 3rd time flowering it, meaning 3rd gen of clone. I was going through the 20 diff gens I had back then and throwing out the weeker. Narrowing my numbers. I decided to not clone them and just flower them all out. OMG! I screwed the pooch. Those Punas where amazing. Size, smell, sticky, and the bzzz put me on my ass!!! In a great way. I did not keep a single clone or seed of it either. That is the reason I never throw a gen out until at least the 4th clone and run of them.

The high times I cant take credit for tho, cuz again I ran…I didn’t even know the other guy new them and had a pic in of it until he showed me the issue. Hahaha It was my ladies tho. I will try later and see if I can find it. It was back around 2011 I

think. The test result at 33% tho was awesome. Another buddy had mine tested down in Co Springs just after I had finished curing it all out too. Its the highest thc level I have grown to date. I hit 30% Several years ago before I left Co, but not that magic 33. Lol
The pic I just loaded was that Puna Budder harvest. It was one of my first in Co after the laws changed. Oh how I miss her. Hahaha I pfff from that cola when I would go to feed the plants. That was when I was half way through it. Hahaha

2 Likes

Growing hemp sounds like fun. I love to see a huge field of plants, hemp or ganja.

That’s a beauty of a bud. I’m chompin at the pit to grow out a bunch of my seeds. But it doesn’t make sense until I can do it legally and in a way that I can separate all the varieties and reproduce them in seed form and preserve the originals in tissue culture.

1 Like

I just finished prepping these big Hemp ladies. I should have them in the ground today or tomorrow. If your bored I have another 300-500 clones about ready that need planted too. Hahahaha My wife and I do all this ourselves. Hahaha well until the trim party of course!

5 Likes

Nice work bullfrog.

3 Likes

Sick man you and your wife are awesome. Trim parties are the only way to go. I get really burned out on trimming a lot. Yeah I said it… sometimes i hate to trim lol. I can spend a whole day triming 1 huge indoor plant or 6 big ones. Or 12 medium plants. But im soooo sick of it after 6-8hr runs of non stop trimming. You need Loud music 4 pairs of extra clean trimmers. 2 trim bins. I dont drink anymore or i would have suggested a drink!.

2 Likes

Damn i hit the 75 plant point and i start working a lot harder. No me time. 2hrs a night 7 days a week is a part time job! 14 hrs a week on top off my 60hr work weeks gets brutal sometimes. I finally got all my phenotypes and strains i want to keep growing. There all into my perma clone routine i do. And in perpetuation.

2 Likes

I thought yo ur reply was perfect, and it says 14 days ago…notice i disappeared for over a week hahahaha I need a break feom trimming for a while. Im throwing down the outdoor, while one of the indoors was harvested. So I get a day break, then tomorrow am sticking 150 more hemp clones in the ground. Hahaha Im smoked…literally hahaha Im on break.

1 Like

Awesome man jus awesome

1 Like

Get this…Ive had several brain impacts from when I was in the service. One of my disabilities from all my tbi is insomnia. Not like that guy that has a bad night or two of rough sleep and says he is an insomniac,No I am a full blown insomniac. My record is 10 full days and nights with zero sleep. I usually go 3-4 days, may sleep a few sporadic hrs then up another 3-4 days. So technically Im like the ultimate trimmer hahahaha The key is to find movies or shows that will play continuously in the background, but not so interesting I stare at it and not trim. Hahahaha

1 Like

These are tomorrows hemp clones we are planting. Good times!!!

4 Likes

Wow thats cool a whole table sweet!

1 Like