Grafted cannabis plants?

I ran across this very interesting article about Grafting cannabis plants. I have seen it done with fruit trees like plum,peach,apricot. Usually called a fruit cocktail tree. I found it most interesting about having 1 strong mother plant with multiple strains growing on it. Like a space saver or a multi strain plant harvest. VERY interesting! I added the link to the article. Anyone have one? Anyone ever seen one. Wow it think this is cool as fu%$ a novelty of sorts

5 Likes

I know the practice is very common in growing hot peppers. Doing it on a mom would be a great thing to try out.

3 Likes

Check this out @PreyBird1

9 Likes

Nice thanks. Makes me want to try it.

4 Likes

The best use of grafting that I have ever read about is for strains that do not root well.some strains (purple crack is very difficult to root) don’t root well at all p.c. your lucky to get 20%survival rate.and that took 3yrs to obtain haha.in that case I didn’t have to graft but it was close to.i imagine there are way worse strains out there like that as well.

3 Likes

They’re doing this with tomatoes already. Choosing the strongest rootstock, then grafting the most desirable fruit onto it. It could definitely be done with cannabis. The big difference is the how long the plants produce for versus how much work is involved. Greenhouse tomatoes might give off fruit consistently for 6 months, where our favorite plant only gives one harvest. I’m curious to see if there’s any good use for it, recreationally or commercially. Everyone knows of one plant they saw that had the biggest roots they’ve ever seen.

4 Likes

That’s awesome I had heard about something like this a few months ago let me know if anyone does end up trying it I’d love to know how it works/goes

3 Likes

If anyone does decide to try it, do yourself a favor and buy some grafting clips. They’re cheap from Amazon. They are made to hold the cuts together tightly and come off easily. It can be done with plastic wrap, but it’s a real pain wrapping stems that small.

5 Likes

My grandfather used Teflon tape on Apple trees haha.i still prefer to use it to mend breaks and split branches I wonder how it would work for grafting

3 Likes

Teflon tape works just fine. Maybe my clumsy meat-mitts are the real reason I prefer the clips, haha.

3 Likes

I like how it stretches and self seals.super easy to work with

4 Likes

I have grafted some mj before. Years ago. Hahaha I ran a batch of strawberry cough and pine apple punch. Also a batch of Maui and Mendo Purps. I was hoping to get plants that kind of crossed into each other with out the regular Polinating way. Like maui habe that purple flavor and color. Nope hahaha i basically just had two varieties with the same base and root structure. They flowered as one plant, but was really just Like two separate plants in the same medium. It was great back in the day tho during the illegal times cause the charges were placed on how many plants. It was a great way to get 2 diff strands in one plant. Hope that was informative and I wasnt just blowing smoke. Lol

1 Like

Bullfrog420, I would have expected 2 varieties with the same base and root structure but would have thought there would have been a third variety, a crossbreed/hybrid or mutation that would be some mix of the original 2.

I would like to hear more about everyone’s grafting experiences.

1 Like

I will be honest man it’s not easy to do and usually most people refur to it as splicing I thought always herd of grafting w cactus Wich iv tryed and failed alot I know literally like 1 older guy in town who and can do it successfully not saying it’s not possible but if ur Guna try practice on sutin u don’t care to much for

1 Like

I am working on a grafting experiment to see if I can increase the cannabinoid and terpene levels by grafting landrace varieties to modern cultivars. I have some varieties grown from seeds collected in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s that I would like to grow commercially and get into the market. I want to offer smokers the closest thing to what was imported in those times so breeding with modern plants is not an option. The first plant I had tested had a THC of 10.6. Its a great smoke but it would be more marketable with a higher potency level. The flavors are amazing. I have a great old commercial Colombian that tastes and smells exactly like what we got in the 70’s and has the same wonderful effect that we used to get. Incidentally, the flavor of the old cultivars is in the genetics. There is no curing technique that will make a modern cultivar have the same flavor/smell as the old stuff. I grafted the Colombian plant and another unusual plant with a creamy, rotten fruit flavor/smell onto rootstock from Gorilla Glue #4. I did the grafting and cloning in one operation in order to minimize the time from clone to veg. and it worked fairly well. I think with improved techniques it will be commercially viable. I will veg them for a couple of months while my current crop ripens then grow them out. After harvest I will have them tested for cannabinoids and terpenes to at Steep Hill Labs and compare the grafted to ungrafted properties. Hopefully I can get the THC into the 15% range and enhance the terpines to make them a little more on par with what consumers are used to today. I have done previous experiments and was able to increase flower production by grafting a low producing scion onto a big rootstock and it dawned on me that I may be able to improve other qualities. Like devjyarn said, Grafting is used extensively in other agricultural crops. I read a paper where they grafted tomatoes and were able to increase the terpine that produces the red color by 40%. We’ll see what happens with weed.

6 Likes

Nice thats interesting ill be watching for sure if you update this thread.
And welcome to GN community! @maggotbrain

4 Likes

Very interested in this as I too am working to preserve some heirlooms/landraces. Got @PreyBird1 and @scotty17 helping out with that!

3 Likes

Hey me and scotty are testing some skygod seeds. Skywalker og x galactic god. I have 127 seeds.

4 Likes

Man im right in the middle of tissue culture propogation. And breeding 7 strains right now. I have no time to dabble with this…but hot damn exciting times.

5 Likes