Grow light recommendations

Currently, the lights in my 4×4 and 3×3 tents are garbage. As a newbie, I bought them based on economy and a few Am*zon reviews.
Once I am financially able to purchase new lights, I want to rely on the wealth of knowledge among those on this forum.
I am a newbie and grow just for fun, so I want to stay at or below $300 for the 4×4 tent and $250 for the 3×3. Unlike the lights currently in my 4×4, I want lights that are full spectrum for veg through flower.
I guess dimmable LEDs are what I need, I don’t know about “hg” lights.
Thanks!

2 Likes

mars hydro has some decent lights as thats what i am currently running before buying a 1000w led light. check there refurbished page as they always have something there. If you are eventually going to be buying a new light i recommend saving up and getting your end all be all light right away. I made the mistake of just updating other equipment and that has lead me to lower quality bud. Still amazing and does the job, but go for a good one if your gonna be spending regardless. @PreyBird1 is currently doing a light build thread ask him as he is the guru of lights and building them as well. All the best and happy growing!

3 Likes

I can’t speak for flower yield yet but so far I really like my Sonofarm 4000 Pro. It’s just a hair over $300 and would easily cover a 4x4 tent. It’s dimmable and has LED’s of White, Blue, Red, and IR.

I am still a little apprehensive about how well it will perform for flowering but so far for vegetative it has been kick-ass. If it does well for yields after this first grow I will definitely buy another one to cover my 8x4 tent.

Amazon.com: SONOFARM SF4000 LED Grow Light, Indoor Grow Lamp for Plants, Veg to Flower Bloom, Dimmable & Daisy Chain, 4x4 5x5 Grow Tent, Full Spectrum LM301B Diodes and Meanwell Driver : Patio, Lawn & Garden

4 Likes

I have been looking at these Kind LED lights and see they have won some awards. I don’t know if they’re worth the investment but they do include UV/IR on a separate dimmable controller so that’s neat.

Kind X420 Targeted Full Spectrum LED Grow Light | direct from Growers House

4 Likes

Sonofarm would be a good option for your tents it would be a little bit shy of power for the 4x4 but very great coverage for the 3X3 very good price as well

4 Likes

So you think the footprint is smaller than the manufacturer says? Or are you going by wattage?

I am curious as to how many I should have ideally for my 8x4 ?

3 Likes

By watts in a 4x4 I run a 650 watts same in the 3x just dimmd it’s all about coverage I have the 650r hlg in 3x and scorpion Diablo 4x you would have to run that light pretty high to get full coverage in a 4x tent wich will decrease ppfd needed in flower it also depends on how full your going to fill tent is growing style I grow scrog so I need complete coverage

3 Likes

Ideally I would recommend a bar style light around 650 watts to avoid running into not having enough light. Generally bar style lights have much more even coverage. The sonofarm 400 would work well in the 3x3 but I wouldn’t recommend it for a 4x4. It’s a little to underpowered for the larger space and the par chart is very uneven. It’s going to be hard finding a really good light for a 4x4 at $300. Usually lights are around 1$ per watt

3 Likes

Yep sounds about right. I always add more power than 9 need so i can dim the lights and under drive the leds. Because they last longer if you do that.

3 Likes