Growing cannabis and having a college degree

Hello Folks,

I am new to the forum FYI. I live in Virginia and I am wanting to start a career in the cannabis industry. My name is Justin and I am a 22 year old male.

I am curious in this date in time if pursuing a bachelors in a horticulture or agrilcultural business major would be worth my time in my quest to become a cannabis grower for a commercial operation. Please let me know your opinions! They are greatly appreciated

5 Likes

My thinking is that a controlled agriculture degree is hard to go wrong with if you want to be a grower (most universities supply this kind of degree). If you want to be more on the business and retail end, an MBA would probably serve you well.

4 Likes

Thanks Hunter! I also forgot to add that I will eventually start my own operation. Do you think the regulations and licenses to grow legally will have a requirement of a college degree in the next 5 years?

2 Likes

Would highly recommend at least attending this Controlled Environment Agriculture short course that the University of Arizona offers. This year it was about 1/4 commercial cannabis growers: http://ceac.arizona.edu/ghsc

3 Likes