Growing Cannabis In Space

The words “cannabis” and “space” might garner thoughts of Tumblr posts dripping with pastels and little aliens flashing peace signs rather than actual scientific research of cannabis grown in microgravity. However farfetched glitter aliens are, our NASA forefathers likely did not think their organization would be growing pot in space, but here we are.

Thanks to a Kentucky-based startup called Space Tango, microgravity is being studied more than ever before and is giving scientists aboard the International Space Station the ability to conduct experiments in controlled environments. Space Tango has conducted eight missions, 88 experiments, and has delivered 53 payloads since 2017.

A Brief History of Space-Based Cannabis Experiments

Currently, Space Tango is developing experiments on cannabis growth in zero gravity environments. While they are not growing cannabis for recreational use, they are trying to cultivate strands of hemp for use in medical compounds.

The startup has two micro laboratories on the International Space Station at the moment, using microwave-sized “clean rooms” as small spaces to conduct experiments. Recently, using the “CubeLab” modules at the ISS, Anheuser-Busch sent barley up into space to observe how the crop would grow in environments approaching zero gravity. The company hopes to now observe cannabis in one of their CubeLab modules.

When growing cannabis, a certain amount of stress is healthy, but it is a delicate balance. Too many stress factors, such as too much light, can also decimate an entire crop. According to Maximum Yield, an online magazine dedicated to the growth of cannabis, it is important to balance the amount of good and bad stress when growing crops. Full Article

7 Likes

I’ve read up on this very interesting stuff… general hydroponics has been the go to for nutrients so far

http://ekbulk.com/science/science_articles/general-hydroponics-field.htm

2 Likes

Great article @chrisj, thanks for the read brother!
I watched a documentary last year that interviewed the NASA scientist that developed hydroponic growing. He came up with the idea to grow vegetables in space. He was more than a little offended that what he developed is being used mainly to grow cannabis these days.
I’d thank that man over and over if I could!!

4 Likes

He was more than a little offended that what he developed is being used mainly to grow cannabis these days.

That is a sad state of mind, cannabis in space makes my mind boggle and heart excited.

5 Likes

Actually it would be a very useful crop to maintain over a long trip. The water used to grow can even be used as radiation shielding when being stored. Besides, space is ridiculously huge and there will be a lot of time to get high lol.

2 Likes