Growing medium - Buffered Coir vs Amended Soil

*** I hope I have selected the correct category for my question. ***

My first grow using buffered coco coir as the medium has produced a plant that is considerably more “squatty” than those I have grown in soil (sphagnum peat moss + compost + perlite).
All other things (lights, nutrients [Dakine420], tent, RO water) have been the same for all grows.
Is my coir result typical and to be expected for that medium?
I greatly appreciate feedback from all you experienced farmers!
The first photo is the AK47 photo in coir, the subsequent photos are photo plants in soil.

8 Likes

Hey @ArtVandalay

Interesting finding and cannot think of anything except that coco coir can hold water much better than soil. I am not sure what else to think. I have been growing in coco and had long straggly plants but also short fat ones.

PS A damn fine flowering plant there.

5 Likes

Hmm now they do appear to be longer in soil and with the coir they appear shorter but lots fatter which is a solid plus I think. The legginess comes from lower light levels usually so is there a possibility that the light was higher or lower power for them to stretch that bit more. Maybe the coco staying wet and needing more feeds helps fatten the buds more than build stems. Lol. Idk but it is a cool finding I don’t pay that much attn to my plants like that anymore. Work kills me

4 Likes

Thanks @chrisj and @Mark0427 !
I used branch benders on the AK47 photo as well as topped it early, so maybe that also contributed to its low stature.
I also believe strongly that the Dakine420 Shock and Awe made a big positive difference in both plants.
One thing is certain, taking both plants out if the trellis netting will be much easier.
Since coir doesn’t hold water easily and doesn’t provide any nutrients on its own, I feed it daily. I didn’t need to do that with plants in soil.
I am going to experiment using buffered coir + amended soil on the couple of plants I grow. In fact, they are already beginning; two weeks since germination: Blueberry Muffin and Chokolope.
I will make a journal on those.
Here are a couple of photos from this morning.

5 Likes

Looks beautiful. Weed is such a pretty plant to look at

4 Likes

They`re looking beautiful @ArtVandalay!

3 Likes

How/why did it get the moniker “weed?” Is it because it grows very fast?

3 Likes