Growing on a budget

@PreyBird1 can you help @kapouic out with some good things to plant next to cannabis? I know a lot of the living soil guys use nitrogen fixing cover crops, but in a big garden there might be better things to plant.

4 Likes

@kapouic typically you could plant anything next to it. But i would be careful to make sure that any plants next to it are 1. Not going to take light and over grow it. 2. The plants do not use the same nutrients naturally or they compete for it which is bad! 3.Absolutly no mellons, peas, cucumbers…anything viny will reach up and grab your weed and climb it basically strangeling it like a python. Next to corn is always a good spot and tomatoes and some herbs. Next to peppers bell, cayenne, ect.
There in the tiny pots in the cage because deer love them when there tiny.

![20190609_210639|690x335(upload://s318OTrjT1pLsxA0hQKFSZGnLyT.jpeg)
The plant distance and shadow are a huge issue!
Seriously walk around the yard and survey where the shadows are and where ther going to be at different times of the day the more full sun the bigger the plant will be and bigger yeild. I KNOW THERE IN POTS BUT YOU CAN SEE THE ISSUES RIGHT?

8 Likes

Third lesson learned : Observe and take notes!
Try to keep a journal.
It’s easy to grow weed. Just throw a seed in the ground and you’ll get weed. Give it a little tlc and you’ll have good weed. Give it a bit more love and take notes, you’ll have great weed!
If you really stopped to observe your plants, you’ll be able to spot anything out of the ordinary and react accordingly. If you write everything you do to your plants, what you feed them, when you feed them, any problems or weird growth. When you come across a problem, it will be easier to fix if you know what you did. The best examples I’ve seen here are @blackthumbbetty journals. She is simply amazing! Well worh a read.

5 Likes

I had to hide them from the neighbors is not legal here. And there in the corn because they got huge! But they got no light until noon. Because shadows but they got lots of evening sun but…if they had all day sun then they would be double the size. And they got to big so fast i had to take them in the house.

3 Likes

I kind of hide them in my vegetable garden. I get around a pound every fall, that last me through the long winter.

Fantastic. That is your cheapest way. When I lived near nosey neighbors I used bend and snap the plants putting bricks on the stem to keep it low. Look at the many ways you can grow and increase your yield. Dont forget its easy to make hash at home that keep you company in this long wintery months.

3 Likes

Ok, here’s the pictures of today’s experiments in training :
Just before the massacre :

And after :

About seven weeks old.
I think it would have been easier if I had started a bit earlier…

8 Likes

Like a giant weed ninja star!

4 Likes

Fourth lesson learned : The value of cross-referencing your research!
Scenario : You’ve observed your plants and think there might be a deficiency or a problem you don’t know nothing about. You hurry on google, look stuff up and act on the first piece of info you find that might fix your problem…and you make things worst!

I’ll share something really stupid I did once : I had 4 Banana Kush growing and they looked really healthy and were doing relatively good considering my set-up. I wanted to try my hand at adjusting my soil’s PH after reading how important that was. I read somewhere that vinegar could help you lower PH…You guessed it : I did the stupid thing and watered my 4 plants with vinegar diluted in water. I killed them all… snif, rip! So now I DOUBLE-CHECK anything I read before acting and do it on one plant at a time now.

If anybody else is willing to share, I have 2 questions for you :

1 : What is the biggest mistake you did when you first started growing?
2 : What would you say is the one piece of gear that every new grower should get first?

That would be nice to know for us noobs! Thanks.:v::v::v:

6 Likes

Most important pieces of equipment to start with - a light timer! And a proper seed starting setup.

3 Likes

Pheewww, what a week!

We had huge wind storms last week that tore most of the shingles off the roof of my house…
Had to deal with that.

Yesterday I finally had time for my girls and here’s what I found :

The little bugs are everywhere in my tent. Anybody knows what they are? Is there anything I could do with common household items to try and fix it. Or is it better to kill the ladies (ouch), disinfect everything and start fresh?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ! Good news or bad, I can take it. I just don’t have too much time now to deal extensively with this.

3 Likes

Holy shit man. Thats mites or aphids not good! Damn there is a safe pesticed made for this and its not not cheap. I cannot remember what it is at the moment.

4 Likes

Get a vacuum and a small brush and suck those bastards up fast! They do not like water slows them down. But there like ticks they suck on the plants and stunt it bad.

3 Likes

Insecticidal soap

4 Likes

I want to jump in and say some things. However a lot has been covered by all parties here. The one thing I would tell you is throw that light in the trash or try to get your money back. Worst case. I will start a fund to get you a proper light. I wouldn’t do this for most. But your just not going to get anywhere with that.

5 Likes

Stick with us we will get you on the right track. It’s going to take every penny any scrap you can find. However it doesn’t have to be pretty it has to be functional. Thier is only a few rules to follow. NPK. Is King. Light. Water. Soil. Genes. And? Anyone? Nuets are a luxury. Photosynthesis is key. Meaning. The real star is lighting. Not enough light. Not enough sugur/carbs being produced. Slow growth. Disease and pest resistance is down. All of this leads to death and frustrated grower. Who eventually quits. Cannabis. Can be tricky if you aren’t aware of the warning signs. Always watch the leaves they actually do tell you what’s going on

6 Likes

I have used yellow solo cops with honey on them (bugs) in outside garden. The bugs are attracted to honey and the color yellow. They get stuck to honey. Super cheap!
That is why sunflowers are planted around gardens. Aphids and spider mites are attracted to the stalks of sunflowers they chew stalk. Lets off aroma that attracts lady bugs.
I use a lot of real old fashioned ideas for help in garden, outside vegetables.

7 Likes

That’s sentiment is really appreciated @MK3_Pharms. I know my lights are shit, that’s the whole reason of this thread. I made really uninformed decisions that I have live with for now, and I want to try to make the most out of it for now. So if my dumb errors can save just one other hobbyist all the disappointement, it will be worth it.
I was saving some money to buy new lights but the storms last week took most of the shingles off of my roof. That will set me back $10 000.00, so the lights will wait one or twelwe grows :crazy_face:
As for the “fund” thing, that gives me mixed feelings.
I really feel amazed and touched that somebody would do something like that for a stranger, but I feel bad because I’m not asking for charity. (I feel really f**king good though for your kindness, thanks!)
All I’m trying to do is do the best with what I have and get better with the help of all the worderful growers hanging here!

Once again, THANK YOU :partying_face:

4 Likes

You live in Canada I’m assuming? If that’s the case I will get a light sent out out to you. What I want you to do. I get a proper 3x3 buildt. Get your exhaust fan sorted. And a fan to move air inside can be as small as a 6 in clip fan. That’s the bare min you will need. I have enough spare lights. Don’t worry about. What it costs me. If your story is true. Then you have enough troubles and it’s truly is my pleasure to help you. If your story isn’t and you just are looking for a free light. Well. I probably don’t need to say much else. Give me a few daysish to tighten up some other things going on my end. I will send you a small 150w quantum board. From Mars H. It should work great for you.

6 Likes

I will also make sure to include a pack or two of my personal genetics to get you back on your feet. Don’t consider this charity. Consider this the community doing what it has always done. Helping a brother in need. We don’t always need to know each other to lend a hand.

We will however want to see the progress as you come along. That my friend is payment enough. Thier are other here who might follow my lead. Or not. I’m going to take your post at face value and help. And will offer advice as needed to help you get through this time.

9 Likes

I did roofing for a few years. You do have some bad damage. Is it totally lost tough to say from what I see. But probably yeah. That estimate seems high though.

1 Like