Just wanted to post some factual information on Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2).
#1 Hydrogen Peroxide is a superb SURFACE disinfectant and even works on microbes which are resistant to chlorine (bleach) or antibiotics!
#2 I say SURFACE disinfectant because Peroxide is quickly neutralized by the ubiquitous enzyme peroxidase found EVERYWHERE in nature. The peroxide is quickly converted to water and oxygen (H2O and O2). One of the problems is that if you put Peroxide in tap water you will actually loose some of it’s effectiveness right there as it is already reacting with water borne microbes…or existing peroxidase.
#3 In order to get more effective disinfection with Peroxide, it is often bought as Peracetic acid. Peracetic acid is the usual material bought for ag or commercial disinfection. Peracetic acid is Peroxide combined with Acetic acid. the Acetic acid buffers the pH, thereby extending the effectiveness of the Peroxide component while it’s in solution.
#4 Once peroxide is applied to a surface, whether straight or in Peracetic acid, it acts very quickly and will normally be fully neutralized in about 60-90 seconds.
So what you have is EXCELLENT disinfection and destroying of most any microbe it contacts…however, there is essentially NO RESIDUAL control. So if you are treating a disease like PM you will need to do daily treatments until under control. The good thing is that peroxide is not terribly expensive.
Interesting side note from a plant physiology perspective, is that there is some peroxidase found in the cellular cytoplasm of all plant cells. It is one of the primary agents that destroys IAA (Indole 3 Acetic Acid) The main natural plant growth regulator! Mama nature gives with one hand and destroys with the other!! FWIW