Have anybody heard of termites eating the inside? Of plants outdoors

The whole plant is hollow brown in the inside should be white Stuff

3 Likes

Hollow stalks are a sign of healthy plants and good genetics. The brown part is concerning though. Did the plant make it to harvest? Did you feed the plants until harvest or did you flush for a week or 2 before harvest? The spongy center of the plant stalk is called the Pith. This is like body fat in the sense it stores things for the plant to retrieve at a later date. If you flushed your plant may have started robbing the pith to feed it self. If you are growing organically the brown pith may have picked up a fungus. Best solution would be to replace the soil for your next grow. @TheMadFlascher would probably have a better explanation and a better solution for you.

4 Likes

Thank you I didn’t know any of that But this Is termite They are inside the plant Alive The same bugs that Be under wood left on the ground

4 Likes

Hi @grow1

Welcome back to GN. Can you post a picture of the pests? Thanks for the info @nacho151

4 Likes

Here is a link that talks about termites in cannabis plants. Sorry I didn’t realize they were inside the plant I was under the impression they were swarming your plant.

2 Likes

I’ll open one. And pull some pic When I get off from work.

3 Likes

Here’s some pics about 2 weeks ago. Can’t see the problem but some might want to see the plants

4 Likes

I was just in a conversation with a friend of mine that works for a State DNR and he suggested this for your next grow. Move your next grow to a different location away from the current grow, dig up the soil of the new grow and sift it as best you can, after sifting the new soil amend it with Diatomaceous Earth, place a wire mesh screen (like a metal mesh for a window screen) in the hole to create a barrier, then put the soil that was amended back into the hole. It sounds like a lot of work, however it seems reasonable other that having an exterminator pouring a bunch of bad chemicals on your plot. He also said you might want to inspect any structure on the property to make sure they’re not infected with termites also. I should also note he uses that method for his tomato plants and isn’t sure it will get rid of the termites, but he did say it will help with other burrowing pests and ants.

7 Likes

After some more research I found this link!

5 Likes

Just as a matter of interest, we had serious issues with dampning off last season and it turned out that our soils were off due to fungus or mold in them. Our only solution was to steam the soil with boiling water.

6 Likes

That’s interesting I wonder if I have some type of issue like that too. It’s been a rough year for growing anything. I grow tomatoes, peppers onions strawberry and so on every year.
I thought i was pretty good at it. But This year, tomatoes grow a little and Form tomatoes and die before they turn red. Peppers won’t grow more than a foot Scruggle doing that and no Peppers. And both of those are normally putting them in the ground and try to keep up with them. Onion grew well Would have the best bulbs yet But they’re all turning soft I guess that’s from the rain coming this month and not may in June. When I look at the roots they all seem soft At least not normal.

5 Likes

Uploading: 20230713_180927.jpg…
Uploading: 20230713_180935.jpg…
Uploading: 20230713_181208.jpg…
Uploading: 20230713_181201.jpg…
Uploading: 20230713_181151.jpg…

3 Likes

100% my issue this past season. We have had over half our annual rainfall in the last two months, through our dry and cold months. Amazing times we living through, our coral trees are flowering two months to early too.

The biggest issue I had and was 99% the reason of my failed grow this past year was mold, and it was caused from bringing in old soil from an unused old indoor grow facility. I think look at everything that has been suggested above, write down a list of what potentially could be wrong and eliminate.

You did say you saw termites in the stems? That is still a possible problem.

5 Likes

You posted your pictures before they had uploaded. I think you going to have to try again.

4 Likes

Country life I’ll have to wait until I get wifi One bar aint gonna cut it.

5 Likes

Hahaha, same here, 6mb upload, 2mb download, no power for up to 11 hours a day. Love living in the country eventhough out country is run by idiots!

5 Likes

Just an idea I had this morning, get some thin metal and make raised bed planters, put metal screen in the bottom and use good soil if the problem is effecting all your garden.
Something like this.
planter

4 Likes

I definitely have to try something new. That seems like a good idea.

4 Likes

Another random plant dead today.

4 Likes