Help : buds have no smell after drying/curing

i am wet trimming then drying on a net. I keep the humidity at 50 percent for 6 days then bring it down to 40 for the last day. i have fans circulating air on them, the temperature is 70 degrees. it’s dry in colorado, so i have to add humidity to the rooom with humidifiers. i use tap water. i am not getting a gas out of my buds, barely get any smell. if i cure for a week i get a better smell i use heat sealed bags and burp them daily. but still no GASSSSSSS… they don’t smell like hay but they really just don’t smell… i have had better smell with gorilla glue than with strawberry glue and bruce banner 3.0. but not like it should be… any ideas?
thanks in advance

1 Like

I read this a long time ago it helped me out… I think you’ll be ok… When you touch the bud and smell your fingers what does it smell like?

2 Likes

thanks.i get more of the smell when i squeeze but it’s still not as stinky as it should be… this is a new house and the first time i’ve ever had to add humidity in my life. i have read that thread.

2 Likes

That’s a tough one… Only thing I can think of is it boils down to the terpenes somehow maybe the natural oils didn’t produce

1 Like

so maybe just the strains?

3 Likes

What nutrients did you use?

1 Like

botanicare and kool bloom from GH. same nute recipe i have had great success with in the past. only thing different is new house and having to add humididty to the room.

1 Like

I wouldn’t blame it on the new house sounds like you knew you needed to add humidity and took care of it… Don’t think that’s the issue… So many scenarios my friend… As long as it smokes good fuck it chalk it up in the win column and try again… Focus on those terpenes… That’s where im at right now trying to get those :fire: smells and tastes with my buds

2 Likes

I keep my drying at 62% RH. Anything lower than that and I lose too much weight and flavor.

8 Likes

Did you possibly cut a bit earlier like do u use a microscope to tell how ripe ur buds are? Or possibly you are too far off the vpd charts target zone. I changed my microbe source and didn’t use as much hi brix molasses this run and I didn’t get the gas I’m used to either. Not that it’s lacking horribly, but it’s not the candy I’m used to. Small changes in environment make huge differences at crop

5 Likes

For sure I agree and lower temps for drying makes a huge difference in flavor,low and slow is the way

8 Likes

I’ve heard 45-55 is ideal for drying… Fuck now you have me thinking brother! LoL

1 Like

You need to cure for longer that’s for sure! You should be looking at 30 days to cure. You can rush drying by doing it on a net after wet trimming, but you can’t really rush curing.

In week 1 of a cure your buds will usually just smell like lawn cuttings. In week 2 of curing your buds will usually just smell like lawn cuttings. At end of week 3 is where you get the chlorophyll drop off and the turpines start to come to the fore.

So I think you just need more patience. All is not lost!

Some questions come to mind. Why are you wet trimming? Do you need to be discreet and get it do e fast? I never do this. I like a slow dry and will hang for 7 to 10 days. If you are rack drying wet trimmed bud, you’re probably looking to move to curing faster.

Are you flushing properly? Do your girls fade? I generally find issues with this in soil. I think soil being the buffer it is, you need to flush more aggressively for longer to really deplete the nutrients and start fading your girls - this is key.

What are you curing in? Are you monitoring the humidity in the containers? Moisture levels should be guiding your cure, so keeping on top of the RH in the jars is pretty key.

Do you do anything in your grow to boost turpines production? There are some types of stress that will boost turpines. Adding UV and infra red at the final stage can cause the plant to produce more resin to prevent water loss. These resins contain a lot of stank. Another way to boost turpines is to start starving your plants of water a few days before you harvest, this again pushes resin production to help prevent water loss and will give you stankier smoke. Going into full dark for 24 to 48 hours before harvest can also boost THC and resin production and produce more stank and potency. I highly recommend the last 2 techniques as they’ve worked really well for me.

IMO your biggest issue is drying too quickly and this is hard to come back from. Keeping moisture up in your curing vessels will help some, like a few others have already commented, keep that humidity a bit higher through the drying stage. I’d also look at your curing vessels, jars are better than bags, not just because of the plastic smell and so on, but because you get a better seal and more protection from physical damage.

Another thing to consider is your style of grow. All types of grow work to get great bud, but a lot of folks will agree that organic nutes will generally give you better flavour and aroma, could be something to experiment with as well. I’m going the organic route this year and it’s certainly seems the case for me.

4 Likes

45-55 % is way low after the first 18 hrs .45-55 is target for first 18 hrs only then 60plus and ,temps around 72°f for 18 hrs then drop it below 66 depending on buds I like lower temps for smaller buds bigger buds around 66 .

8 Likes

i don’t have the room to hang dry… this is the first time i have ever had to add humidity and im wondering if anyone else has had this problem with adding humidifiers.

1 Like

I live in central Canada and have to add humidity for about 6 months whenever I harvest.

7 Likes

Yup I humidify my grows when Im Confident I’m safe fr mold. No issues w quality

5 Likes

Thought you were in bed brother :facepunch::metal::metal::metal::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Got hungry now I need some J’s to get back to sleep haha

3 Likes

I’m smoking with you brother

6 Likes