HELP, I need to find LED's

I have about 500 sq feet and I’m looking to plant around 100 plants, my ceiling height is right around 10 feet. I’ve found some nicely “reduced” lights that should work in my space. The price is $399 which sounds to good to be true. Thoughts?

4 Likes

Might be ok for veg but you’ll need more light for flowering. Need more like 800-1100 PPF for good results

5 Likes

My apologies, the actual PPFD is 242.40,

5 Likes

Hi @czappme

Welcome to GN. You can also browse growershouse.com, HID lamps might be a better bet for flowering. Check these deals for a full light setup.

4 Likes

Thanks @chrisj! I’ll check it out.

4 Likes

That’s super low ppfd, you would probably have trouble vegging with that

3 Likes

Just for comparison flora flexs 650watt LEDs are $750 right now , PPF 1700 μmol/s, 2.6 μmol/J.
You would hit 1000+ ppfd in the center of a 5x5 or more in a 4x4 ( I realize your most likely going to be growing in a full room vs tent just wanted to give you some rough ppfd numbers)

3 Likes

Thanks @treetrunks! What do you think about these?
HID equivalent: 1000W DE fixture
LED Life: Q90 = 62,000hrs
Beam angle: 120°
PPE (400-700nm): 2.75 umol/J
PPF (400-700nm): 1870 umol/s
Dual Surge Protection: 10kV Driver, 1.5kW per Board
Spectrum: Full spectrum (near UV to IR)
Coverage area: 4’ x 4’
Hanging height: 6" minimum

4 Likes

That one looks much better then the 700 ppf one, is it DLC certified and what’s the warranty ?

3 Likes

I love Mammoth lighting LED’s. they have a better warranty than other companies, run on less power and are modular so you can add onto them. They are commercial grade LED’s and probably more than you want to spen but they are excellent. You get what you pay for, most of the time

4 Likes

I would suggest that you consider looking to attain a light level of at least 1500 ppf. I did this and it increased my output by at least 30%. The research was done by Jim Eaves at the University of Lavel in Canada. Attached is a link to his study…

5 Likes

They are selling this light as a “boutique spectrum”, it eliminates energy/heat, they don’t use yellow/orange which would account for the low PPFD. I’m not light savvy, does this make sense?

This thread has alot of info on leds if your interested

Those umol levels are still super low for cannabis, the colour shouldn’t matter as much as the intensity

If you want to learn more about spectrum and LED lights you might want to watch any number of youtube videos by Dr. Bruce Bugbee. He is a professor of agriculture at Utah State and the owner of Apogee Instruments. Apogee is the company that makes all the premier instruments that measure ppfd. There is a good basic video at:

That one is two years old, but it covers the basics from there you can look at his other videos that he did in the last year. He has the hard scientific answers as opposed to undocumented stories that you will get in a forum.

If you have not found him already, you may want to check out the LED reviews by MJ Coco on youtube…

He has an interesting video where he discusses the physics of arranging multiple lights.

4 Likes