Help me decide what type of UV light i should buy :(

So guys i have been looking around for a UV light for my 2ftx2ftx5ft tent. It has not been easy trying to find one…

Theres a couple good options like the AC infinity U2/U4 uv lights but the problem i have with these is they only emit UVA no uvb or uvc…

Another good option is a t5HO fixture with a t5HO uv bulb. but this option does not emit any UVC not a deal breaker but i would like a little bit of UVC if possible.

i was also looking at 10K CMH 315w bulbs, the only problem i have with these is the wattage. a 315w cmh will produce massive amounts of heat within a 2ftx2ft grow tent so i will have to dim the bulb and i am not sure how much UVB these lights emit and i am also not sure if they emit any UVC.

my last and final option is buying a old school HID 400W MH ballast and pairing it with a solis tek 10k Metal Halide. i know for a fact that these bulbs emit UVA/UVB/ and the upper portion of UVC. the only problem i have with this is the wattage. 400watts is too much for a 2ftx2ft tent so i will have to buy a ballast that allows me to dim the bulb.

also around this time of year it gets really cold at night so a uv light that produces heat is a plus.

please guys if anyone has any input on what type of UV light i should buy for my tent lemme know in the comments below :smiley:

3 Likes

Here is an interesting article on UVC and Cannabis.

4 Likes

thank you so much for that article i will give it a read asap! the only reason i like UVC is because a lethal dose of UVC can neutralize any pathogen, bacteria, or virus.
also
I have been the victim of budrot and mold in the past.
and for some reason every time i ever used a solis tek 10k MH i never had a problem with budrot or mold or powdery mildew and i always assumed that it was because of the UVC that the bulb emit’s(maybe im wrong lol).

may i ask if you’r ac infinity uv lights increased terpene’s? for me the ac infinity uv light is the easiest too add you can even dim it lol but im just scared that my end quality will suck if i only use UVA. :frowning:

5 Likes

This is the first time I’ve used UVA so I don’t really know until after harvest. However from what I have observed, it seems to increase trichome production and based on the smell of the plant I am assuming it did increase the terpenes. I’m still reading up on UVC and I would get the UVC Wand and only use it if I see a pathogen like WPM or bud rot starting to form. If you decide to use UVC make sure you have and use personal protective gear based on what I’ve read so far.

4 Likes

I have been running uva bars from hlg since the start of 2nd grow. It does give off more tricks to the plants and more smells. Havnt dove into uvb and c yet but uvb is on the list. I have not to yet find a bulb that does uvc as uv. Is supposed to be the worst for the body. If u find bulbs or led bars that do uvc please let me know I currently run 3 x hlg uva30 bars in my room. Worst I ever suffered was wpm here. One time bud rot but I believe I was the cause of the rot leaving the plant so close to the light panel it cooked it from the inside out I believe. It was 2 inches away from a hlg diablo board for like 3 plus weeks at 80%. Lol.

5 Likes

Hlg makes some good UVA lights 24"California light works makes a good UVB light 24"you can’t get UVB in led ,flower power makes fluorescent bulbs with UVB / UVA

5 Likes

thank you so much for your comment,

there is one led UV light that i know produces UVB(not alot of uvb but it does have UVB diodes) its called Grower’s Choice UV-R Bar. but the amount of UVB it produces is so small im not sure if it will even make a difference in end quality :frowning: and i dont think they make one small enough to fit in a 2ftx2ft grow tent.

the flower power bulbs look sexy
but
the cost of the flower power bulbs is what i dont like. i tried ordering a flower power bulb it cost me 39.99 plus 30 dollars in shipping so for 1 flower power bulb with no fixture it will cost me 69.99 with shipping included.

if i roll a T5HO uv light i will probably rock a agromax pure UV t5ho bulb because those bulbs emit 75%UVB and 25% UVA and they cost 10 dollars each bulb plus 10 shipping.

i understand that the spectrum between the agromax pure UV and the solarcure is way different. but all im trying to do is stimulate the UVR8 receptor with UVB so both bulbs will work honestly.

and at this point i still have no idea what UV light i will buy for my space lmfao.

btw thank you for your input jj520 i greatly appreciate you :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I believe hlg uva bars are 22 inches long. I can measure but I believe 22. I’m shooting for the Cali light works uvb double kit hoping I get it tomorrow like I asked for. Lol. All I asked for uvb setup. Lol

2 Likes

well boys just a quick update!
i am growing in a 2ft x 2ft x 5ft grow tent its a small space and its not easy adding UVB lighting but i did it! i freaking did it!.
i ended up ordering 2 of these light bulbs
" Zoo Med Reptisun Mega Compact UVB/UVA Fluorescent Bulb - 65 watt"
they are 65 watt uvb/uva cfl’s for reptiles! lmfao
it says usable uv up to 42 inches away :open_mouth: this is probably if you use a reflector i will be hanging them without a reflector or dome as vertical bare bulb’s.
i will start with 1 and see how it goes not trying too fry my plants :slight_smile:
thank you everyone for your input i greatly appreciate it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

well boys just a quick update, last week i chopped some buds from the bottom of my plant that were not getting any light, and i just smoked a bowl from my bong…
i got blasted into outer space lmfao… reptile UV bulbs work for small grow spaces! i was not expecting too get stoned the way i did… i mean it was so strong it was kinda uncomfortable.
really excited for my harvest <3 :3

4 Likes

Thanks for the positive update and glad you have had a good season of growing. Happy smoking bud.

For future reference growershouse.com supplies a wide range of UVA lights.

https://growershouse.com/sun-blaster-t5-ho-fluorescent-strip-light-2

4 Likes

honestly boss i appreciate your input but the reptile UV lights i am currently using are 10% UVB / 30% UVA and are 65 watt’s so 10% of that 65 watt’s is UVB <3 :3 i just had a amazing experience using these lights in a 2x2 grow tent. i will stick with reptile bulbs for the foreseeable future :slight_smile:

5 Likes