Help me with my paint please!

I’m a 55 year old medical marijuana patient an my son is about done building my room for me an choose osb for the wall isntead of drywall, now we are having a hard time deciding what paint to choose for the walls an the concrete floor any help is greatly appreciated second time poster

6 Likes

Hey @phatjr,

I would paint them with Kilz sealant and then when dry, cover with silver mylar.
Welcome back to the forum. How about some pictures of the new room?

5 Likes

@phatjr. Welcome back and glad to hear about your progress. As above with mylar, but you can also just leave the walls painted white, its good enough. Also consider adding a floor sealant for the concrete. White is also a good color, and will reflect light under the canopy. Kind of your son, lets see some pictures!

10 Likes

i have done mylar and paint. do the paint. i dont know your condition for the mmcard but paint can be cleaned up easier for me than making a mylar mess.

3 Likes

Well here my 2 cents, Mylar is 95% reflective and Home Depot has a white paint that’s rated at 90%. Mylar can create “hotspots” drywall with paint will not. Drywall’s cheaper then osb and easier to cut for around electrical sockets.

Paint looks cleaner to me as well plus you can get mold resistant paint… They have a special paint for concrete flooring is what I used killz is good… 1” styrofoam board on top of that keeps roots warm and it’s $12 a 4’x8’ sheet :v:t2::sunglasses::v:t2:

8 Likes

Sorry I just got up lol Didnt see where you already have osb, you can paint over osb

This isn’t my grow room but room in my garage and painted over osb but takes a lot of coats osb sucks in the paint. I’d primer first or use a primer paint

6 Likes

I have heard for folks spraying foliers and the silver mylar flaked off onto the plants.

I havent been a fan of it since I had to read up on the effects of that silver.

3 Likes

Here’s the stuff I used on the floor changing out the green stuff but it works too

4 Likes

Hi,hi
What I suggest based on my experience is to use a Lime painting , what in my country we call “ pittura a calce “
Maybe U will need a couple of hands but keeps the Ph quite high and keep your ambient clean of mold , assuring you a good lights reverb, about the floor : as long it’s sanitized I would not be worried about the color , actually , soil is brown … maybe I’m wrong … but I think it’s not strictly necessary

4 Likes

Seen many rooms with nothing on floor or walls lol cannabis is a weed lol it will grow

4 Likes

Prime it and then just get some cheap ceiling white paint. Ceiling white is some of the brightest white paint there is but reasonably priced. It is flat, and while it doesn’t have the scrubability that wall paint does you don’t care about that anyway. My mother owned a paint company, and for 5 years I was the plant manager, before that I worked out in the plant making paint for 3 years. We made all the paint (by bid) for all the stripes on the roads for Illinois and Missouri DOT over a million gallons a year.

5 Likes

I agree, but use a flat oil, if you want an undercoat after that you would then use an oil undercoat, softens the feel of the osb, then gloss oil at the end, even marine oil, old school would have first hit it with iron oxide.

2 Likes

Iron oxide is only of value as a rust preventative, no reason to use it on non metallic surfaces at all. And the highest reflective properties are flat not gloss.

5 Likes

Sole plates are metal, bolted to floor and nails are punched through washer discs, guess I’m older school, my bad.

2 Likes

Agree, metal sole plates would benefit from iron oxide primer for sure, OSB not so much lol.

4 Likes

Growmau5 started a great series on a new room he was building, but never completed the video series.

In this one he’s talking about paint choices for floors and walls.
Grow HauS vol. 2 : Performance Light Reflecting Grow Room Coatings - YouTube

4 Likes

Seal that OSB because it sucks up water right from the air. If your humidity is too high, you can warp your osb walls.

5 Likes

Yup…white paint, Can’t go wrong. Drywall is easier to work with and cheaper… Since you already have the wood up maybe the mylar is the way to go. That osb is gonna suck up coat after coat. Homey mentioned killz or anything thick that is a stain blocker would help. LoL I have the top half of my room mylar and the bottom is white paint. Well the entire room is white but ran out of mylar… 2 years ago… LMAO man best of luck to you and how awesome of your boy. Tell him I said a great dad produces a great kid… wink wink nice chatting with you and we’d LOVE to see completed pics …maybe even a plant or 2!

3 Likes