Help needed on soil for transplanting

Hello to you All. I am a new grower using pots to grow outdoors as we have sun all year round in Trinidad. I have the mandatory 4 plants as per our newly passed legislation and am looking for advise on soil for my final transplanting into large pots. I used promix to grow from seeds.

5 Likes

Constant compost coco admendment

1 Like

I will try check if that is sold here. What about fertilizer? Thanks

go organic

A bit cheeky but copied this out an unpublished article I wrote for a magazine about growing cannabis. It might help you with your soil composition:

Composting is the basis of great soil
Planting your seeds in a good quality soil is the key to a successful harvest. Your base soil should have equal parts of the following ingredients:

• 1 part compost
  • 1 part base material ( coco coir or potting soil )
  • 1 part aerating agent ( perlite or vermiculite )
    These are your three key ingredients for any good soil mix, but you will still have to include other beneficial supplements to the soil during the cannabis growing cycle. For instance,during the vegetative period (Spring/Summer) of growth, your plants will use mainly nitrogen-rich macro-nutrients so vermicompost (worms) could be a good addition to your base soil mix. Cannabis likes nitrogen-rich soils that are acidic, so manure-based composts are also perfect for your cannabis soil mix.
2 Likes

This helps a lot. Thank you

2 Likes

First things first! Welcome to this wonderful place @ahuvah!
I have used Promix from seeds to harvest without any problems. If you want a fine example, I believe that is what @hoppiefrog is using also, and he is much much better than me at growing!
If you check his journal, you will be amazed!
Since I just tagged him, I am pretty sure he will come by and invite you to his journal :wink:

Happy growing !!!

4 Likes

Oooh! Thank you for the welcome. And I am so happy for your advice. Makes growing easier for me. Thank you

4 Likes

What line of nutrients are you going to use, if any?
I am using Advanced Nutrients Ph Perfect line-up, and it does really well in promix, imo.

3 Likes

Be patient here!:upside_down_face: I am very new to this. So I have no idea on what nutrients I need to use! My idea was to visit an agricultural shop and get some advice. But found this forum instead. Can you walk me through the process? or is there some literature I can read?

2 Likes

As I said I have full sunlight all year round and need to have them in pots to take advantage of this.

5 Likes

Welcome @ahuvah

2 Likes

If you have plenty of water and sun and good soil, you’ll get some decent plants (like they do naturally by themselves outside in the wild…)
But by training them, and by feeding them the right nutrients at the right time, you can achieve better results.
You have to know what you want to grow. Do you want monster buds that will make the cover of magazines? Or do you want to be able to grow your own smoke for yourself only? That more than anything else, will determine your nutrients regiment.
And for nutrients, it’s mostly about what is available to you! Some will be more expensive than others, some will be easier to use than others… But it’s all about N.-P.-K.

1 Like

If you want to go with the Advanced Nutrients line-up, here is the minimum you should get :

With these 3 bottles (if you take the 1 liter size each) you should be good from seeds to harvest for a few plants.
What I like about those is that you don’t have to PH your water. It’s easier when you first start…

2 Likes

@kapouic hey bro I too am using AN pH perfect with coco and perlite ;this is my first grow. I was thinking of mixing organic amendments to my grow, will that be possible? And if yes what pH should I keep?
Advance nutes+organic fertilizer

1 Like

I am not truly qualified to provide all those answers… But, I can safely say that if you have the PH Perfect lineup from AN, then you don’t need to PH your water. I am sure you can add organic amendments to your soil without any problems, just check the new growth for burn signs and dial your feed accordingly. Slowly but surely and you should be fine!
Keep in mind, I’m also a new grower, just a little bit more vocal than most!
Happy growing!

Hey @ahuvah Welcome to GN
I’m growing in pots (DIY airpots) and outdoors but in living soil I mix myself and then inoculate with Mycorrhizal fungi and other beneficial organisms and bacteria. I even have earthworms in my soil.
My ingredients.
Potting soil
Compost
Mushroom Compost
Peat Moss
Perlite
Vermiculite
Worm castings
Bone meal
Zeolite
Kelp Meal

I really can’t give you a exact mix. I mix by the bag (sizes that is available to me) and work around it like that. I also let the soil cook for weeks (6 - 8, maybe longer) in a container in the garage. Depending on how long it takes for the temperature to go down in the container.

1 Like

Thank you for this advice. I will check availability locally.

1 Like