Helping or wasting electricity

Question
So I turn on the air pump and I put air stones in buckets with water( could be few hours or a few days depending on my schedule) that I plan on using to water my plants. Once nutrients are mixed in and ph adjusted I take bucket outside to garden and feed plants and soil.

Is all or most of the oxygen then gone once I take bucket outside and hand water? I no if I had a resivor the the pump was in and I ran tubeing with drippers to irrigate my garden most oxygen would stay in. But since I have to pack water to garden,dip water out of bucket, then hand water each plant individually I wonder if much oxygen is still in water once it gets to the soil and down to the root zone.

Anybody have any science or actual facts about this other than I heard from a friend
@devjyarn @ethan @Ladithief

1 Like

The short answer is no, any dissolved oxygen in the water will not be lost in that short amount of time.

The amount of gas that remains soluble in a liquid depends alot on the temperature. A good example is a carbonated drink; if you store it cold and drink it before it gets warm it wonā€™t taste ā€˜flatā€™. If you store it warm and drink it warm, the gas is less dissolved (ever notice how a warm bottle makes a louder ā€˜wooshā€™ than a cold one - thatā€™s because the warm one has less gas dissolved into the soda and more as gas waiting to rush out?) and it will will taste flat almost immediately.

Nutrient temperature should stay pretty low and consistent, and it is at a temperature that can hold a good amount of dissolved gas for a decent amount of time. But as @Ladithief said, if youā€™ve got to keep very well aerated if youā€™re brewing teas. Things are growing and it helps them grow better. If you are growing hydroponically aeration is less critical.

5 Likes

You only need to aerate if using anaerobic rain water etcā€¦ I aerate my teas as I use an inoculant to produce microbesā€¦ and you need air for the microbes to growā€¦I have ran an industrial biotreater for almost 30 years now I supervise itā€¦ all good things happen in the aeration basinā€¦ and our old ā€œbugsā€ microbes that eat the hydrocarbons are wasted to a pit then spread on our land farm at workā€¦ you will know when something is anaerobicā€¦ the stench will make you pukeā€¦ so you really only need air if using nutesā€¦ if your water was anaerobic or you are trying to off gas chlorine from tap water or you are going living soil with teasā€¦but yes the agitation stops the O2 contents drops rapidlyā€¦ and the microbes start dying quickly so you get it in your living soil with in 5 minutes of using the teaā€¦

3 Likes

Silly question @Ladithief. How can rain water be anaerobic, sky juice is still H 2 the O? Not understanding.

1 Like

My rain water can be in a barrel for 7-8 days before I use itā€¦ thus anaerobicā€¦it creates bad bacteriaā€¦ by aerating I can make smell like a sprong fresh day againā€¦ so that is howā€¦ call it scaggy, skunky, swampy or sewer like what ever but aerating it fixes it so thus is was anaerobicā€¦

5 Likes

Thank you, totally understood. Late at night again, foggy brain.

3 Likes

Thank you @chrisjā€¦ I donā€™t always explain the bestā€¦lolā€¦ but I always thought the more gas while warm was from the vapours of the gas vaporizing moreā€¦ I just know what works for my teas and have opinions by my experience and really donā€™t go too scientificā€¦ or at least try not tooā€¦

5 Likes

It was explained perfectly by you. Really enjoyed @devjyarn explanation to, as I was imagining how hotter atoms of gas disperse faster. Nothing like a reminder of science lessons late on a saturday night. Have a good one guys and thank you for the valuable info.

5 Likes

HI - an interesting experience we had was the air pump and stones are using 80% n^2 and 20% o^2 while the n^2 is great and we want more most water is at n^2 saturation with no effort given a temp - as stated above gas saturation is inversely temp dependant - We started using water splitters for live fish wells - they are low power users and and break the water from h^2o to H^2 that bubbles and escapes from the water surface and oxygen which holds longer in saturation, first because some is free radical ( a single o grabbs about anything and holds on for a while and second the o^2 and o^3 s that from are not bubbling to the surface in a n^2 bubble - Using an o^2 sat meter bubbling can add 1/4 to 1 % using a splitter can get you short term 4% increase and over 12 hours later still 2% for the same water temp.

keep fish alive is the brand I use they seam to never fail and just a vinegar soak once and a while brings them back to life if the get full of salts. Ps have a disolved Oxygen meter for sale if anyone is interested - or I might put it back on ebay As once up and running everything I donā€™t play with it much any more.

Always wanter to try aquaponicsā€¦ it is a very advanced form of hydroponicsā€¦and I like fishā€¦lolā€¦

1 Like

Absolutely brilliant @devjyarnā€¦ With soils you definitely want aeration but with true hydro the roots are getting nothing but nutes gotta keep those roots fed

@kurtiswj I like that too fish poop and controlled aquarium intake by different tubesā€¦ Good stuff

2 Likes

@Ladithief @chrisj
I just listen to a radio program the other day that talked about how acidic the rain can be here where I live in Tn. I had always thought the same,H2O is H2O, but apparently not. Lol
1 more: when I lived up in the mountains in Colorado, I had a cop stop at my house to tell me I had to dump my barrels. I had rain barrels outside. Apparently, there is some contract between summit county and basically the front range like Denver over water rites. Those cops told me it was against the law for me to collect my rain. Before anyone asks, yes I dumped them and said wonā€™t happen again, cuz back then i did not want them snooping around my garage heheheā€¦I couldnā€™t make this ignorant crap up even if I tried. Hahahaha

2 Likes

Yes @bullfrog420, I have heard a couple states/counties enforcing the strangest laws like no collecting rain water. We going through similar things in South Africa. All generators, solar panels and boreholes need to be registered now. I personally dont believe in that crap, but a good idea to play always play nice with law enforcement.

H2O is fascinating really and how it goes from ice to gas so quickly is like black magic. I do understand the concept of acid rain and it sux eggs. Its why I would not catch rain water ( sky juice ) if i lived in a smoggy area.

1 Like

Itā€™s usually smoke stack emissions/pollution that causes acid rainā€¦ CO2/CO and I think if I recall its a carbonic acidā€¦ but if it doesnā€™t peel the paint off my truck and my tomato plants have all survived with only rain water than the cannabis plants are no differentā€¦ something about chlorinated water is worse for Ph in my experienceā€¦ but I run an RV filter on my hose connection removes chlorine and chloraminesā€¦ never had a Ph since and I donā€™t Ph my filter water or my rain waterā€¦let nature do itā€™s thingā€¦lolā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for all the information guys good to hear Iā€™m not wasting time or electricity!

@Ladithief I keep a barrel under my window AC to catch the 0 ppm condensation water and add nutes to that to feed plants and soil. I also keep buckets and tubs to catch rain water. Once I go around collect rain water from tubs I put it all together in a barrel in my shop. But itā€™s 90F bout everyday in Missouri and we typically donā€™t get much rain in August. Just heat and humidity!

Iā€™m a little nervous about using water thatā€™s been sitting in 85F metal building for 10 days. Should I be or is it ok to use as long as I turn air pump on for 24hours before I use it to water. 2 plants in 20 gal fab pots with ProHP started indoors February and 4 plants went into native amended soil end of May. Thanks for all the information

As long as you keep ppm low, ph is not much of a factor. I keep my rain water in barrels also. I draw it up in the morning in a 5 gal. bucket, drop in my air stone. My lights are on at night, about 30 minutes before go time I drop in a frozen water bottle & bring temp down into low 70ā€™s.

@Hotload just make sure the water is not too warm. I fed water from my outside faucet a few days ago,yes,this did just happen hahahaha, anyway, I wasnt thinking and the water that was still in the hose line from last use was heated up by the southern sun here. I freakin cooked my roots by feeding them hot water. I forgot to let the hose run a minute before I fed. I thought oh well it will be fine,even if it had a little deficiency after it will be ok,nope,hahaha I killed a couple of these poor little hemp babies. Hahaha Im ok at laughing cuz the other several hundred are still ok.

1 Like

Yeah 90F rain water is fine and if it smells fresh itā€™s fineā€¦ if it smells like death and raw sewage aerate the fuck out of it until it smells fresh and then you are fineā€¦ add you teas etcā€¦ nutesā€¦but salt based nutes need Phā€™ing unless you really know your water and mixā€¦

1 Like