Hey guys what medium should i choose next? i am over coco :(

hey guys so i have been growing in coco coir and if i dont frequently feed i get nutrient deficiency’s late in flower not bad ones but minor deficiencies.

so i am over growing with coco coir,

i have used rockwool in the past with great success and i was thinking about doing a flood and drain hydro grow next but im not sure seems like alot of work just like coco is,

should i just buy some promix and call it a day? :slight_smile:

also my next grow i will be using organic fertilizers, i am done using salt’s.

please if anyone has any input on what medium i should grow in next hit me up i am going too be growing in a 2ft x 4ft x 5ft tall grow tent with organic fertilizers. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Have you thought about setting up a pump and timer for the coco? Pro mix is inert like coco depending which of their products you buy. I think ebb and flow with organics would be more work than with coco and an automatic watering setup with drain to waste

4 Likes

well when i say organic i mean im going too use advanced nutrients organics line iguana juice, bid bud organic etc.

and a friend on another forum did a ebb n flow setup in a 2x4 tent it looked super clean i was thinking about copying it,

but im not sure… all i know is i wanna get away from coco and i wanna try organic :slight_smile:

i was even thinking about using promix because someone on another forum told me he feeds everytime he waters in promix so sounds like coco too me but without the nutrient deficiency’s lmfao or am i wrong af?

also i have not tried setting up a pump and timer for the coco im kinda over this medium. ty for suggestion though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

With ebb and flow I try to keep it sterile but you could try running beneficials with it. My only hesitation would be possible bacterial blooms ect that can grow alot of slime. I don’t think you would really solve any issues going with promix it’s extremely similar to coco. If you want to do organics and not water/mix nutrients or use a timer ect it might be better to go with soil.

5 Likes

i appreciate your input :slight_smile:

also man i dont mind mixing fertilizer the problem is with coco you have too feed it alot like you gotta feed that puppy often

if you treat coco like soil and let it dry out before feeding again like i do you get nutrient deficiency’s late in flower and this gots me kinda bummed.

have you ever heard of rockwool grow cubes? like the cubes that they sell in big bags? what about filling up buckets with those and running rockwool DTW in buckets filled with rockwool grow cubes?
here is link of what i am talking about:
grodan grow cubes

also you say promix is like coco? so with promix i have too feed often like coco? i was under the impression that you could feed promix once every couple of days depending on pot size unlike coco which requires feedings every single day :frowning: thnx for your input man i appreciate you :wink:

5 Likes

Yeah u can’t let coco in flower go for more than a day without water or issues do arise and mostly I believe is due to having hydrophobic spots in the pot after it dries. Unless u leave the pot set in a lot of water to wick it up just a watering won’t do it if u let it dry too much that’s why they say keep it moist atleast never to fully dry. It’ll get dry sockets in the pot if this happens and unless left in a lot of runoff to wick up and saturated all the medium it will still pose an issue til the end. I go every other day watering at the least like I watered day before yesterday and now doing it this am now because I didn’t do it yesterday. Try with ur coco again if u wish But flower time feed the plant til good runoff sick out the trays and add some feed into the tray to wick up thru that day. It works great for me so far just try and keep trays dry for lights out to not add that Xtra moisture in the room to raise the rh. Coco is great to grow in rapid growth easy to fix any issues that arise with pH or nutrient deficiencies ECT where as soil is a little rougher to rid of issues because u cannot saturate a plant like u can in coco. Lot faster growth spurts and to me better smells in the room as I don’t get the wet dirt smell like I did with soil.

5 Likes

I’ve only ever grown in promix mixes. HP or HP CC plus Gaia Green 4-4-4 plus perlite is a SUPER easy and decent mix. beyond that you can go as crazy as you want. I use composted manure, HP, superfly insect frass, fishbone meal, blood meal, volcanic rock dust, oyster shell dust, dolomitic lime and diatomaceous earth. Pluses to growing in soil, pH testing doesn’t really matter provided your water isn’t hard (alkaline), don’t need as much tech to automate. Reduces stress as they have more familiar surroundings on the roots. Its also reusable, and has TONS of beneficial microbes.

4 Likes

Im familiar with Rockwool, I don’t see many people using buckets full of it but I see alot of the larger blocks and slabs. I think a bucket full it might start to crush under its own weight with the water like when you squeeze a cube too hard. I think it might cause some issues with uneven moisture like the bottom always being wet

3 Likes

okay so say i get some organic fertilizer and buy promix HP, can i water with nutrients every time i water? and can i let the promix go a couple days without watering if pot size is big enough? thanks for your input man i am looking forward too your answer :slight_smile:

3 Likes

thank you for your input man but honestly i am probably not going too use coco anymore i might use promix depending on what bohnz says :slight_smile:

5 Likes

honestly your right as the plant grows the weight of the plant will probably crush the rockwool cubes

4 Likes

@PreyBird1 uses pro mix can lead u a good direction also

4 Likes

yep you can. Gaia Green products are all organic. I personally use Greenleaf Nutrients stuff because I cannot find better quality and amount for price. Mega Crop 1 part through the entire grow, its like 23$ CAD for 3.3 KG and you use at max 1 tsp per gallon of water. Then I use sweet candy during flower as well from them…25lb bag cost 120CAD , I use 1.5 tsp per 5gallons. I actually just made a post about watering as well if you wanna check it. When you have amendments in the soil your nute mix will want to be a bit weaker than suggested. Lower PPM/EC/TDS as when you water some of those nutrients in the ferts will activate.

4 Likes

I had that tent FULL 3 plants in 4gal air pots in soil. If you want to grow big soil plants indoors I highly suggest them you’ll grow similar size plants to a a grow bag that is twice the size

5 Likes

Speaking of I gotta go transplant 5 girls in a few here. 2 Truffleupugus and 1 dirty sugah from Bleaf, then 1 Cherry Skunk. Also gotta water my seeds/lings 9 Tiger Lights (Tiger tail x NL2/88g13HP) and 9 Blood Orange Diamonds (African Haze selection x Poison mimosa F2). Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions

5 Likes

shit sorry I missed the part about time without water. Yes I have never once watered my plants daily. every other day or every 2 days depending on the size of the plant

5 Likes

thank you so much i will be contacting you via private message with some questions when i have some free time, i appreciate all your input, its official boys im growing in promix hp next with organic fertilizer’s :d <3 :3

4 Likes

Hi there. We just did a webinar on prefilled flora flex cubes. Check this out , you may want to give these a try. https://youtu.be/5w0JcAPmgS0?si=05BpAEzXHVuFwFal

Good luck!

4 Likes

Yep this is the stuff! Its all i use if im not in hydro. And in fact i take all my clones from plants grown in Promix-hp and then aeroponically rooted then into the hydroponic. I ised to keep coco coir bricks on hand in case i ran out of promix but now i keep 4-5 bailes in stock in my inventory. And my friend owns a grow shop so i get it at cost.

I keep it on this cart/dolly

7 Likes